Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuner Lock continued.

Potential Tuner
    so its locked ? what are my options to move forward ?
    Regards Ross

1. Contact previous tuner for unlock.
    2. Possibly flash a stock file using OEM tools.
    3. Replace ECU and pay to relicense the new one.

Potential Tuner
    than you for your quick response
    Regards Ross
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-29-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Potential Tuner
    thank you for your quick response
    Regards Ross

Tuner in Training
    So sorry to beat a dead dog here, but ive been searching for days. I had vats taken out buy a shop before i was slightly educated on this.
    Charge me for a HPT license on a 0411 ecm 4.3, and time to do it. $365... Cool. Then told me they lock ecms and i would have no acsses to it. So out of frustration, I bought My own HP and it showed up today. I plug it in and i can read it, but when i change something it says i need a license, which i have and will use. I also have an identical 0411 ecm and when i plug it in. I get the same exact thing, and i know this one is not locked because vats is on and its been on my shelf for yrs. Cant disable it without a license.
    So, is this thing locked or not, and if not could my interface read off the license they sold me??? Or another possibility, did i pay for a license that i didnt need or get??? I know there is some freebie stuff on line tricks to do it, but I 100% remember our talk about needing an HPT license, and its on my invoice..
    Help me please.

The MPVI2 you just bought doesn't have the license. The shop that did it before you bought the license for their MPVI.

So you have to license it to your device for it to work. If you can read the file and view it, then it's not locked and all you gotta do is spend 2 credits to tune it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the responce.

My understanding was if it had been licensed buy them and its not locked i should be able to open it and make changes. Am I wrong on that? If so, then i will use the 2 credits i have to license it no problem. I guess the question now, is how can i tell if it had been licensed by them.....? This I need to know because if it hasnt been, then I got a bone to pick with them because I paid for one....
    Thank you again

The license is tied to the device. Only their device has the license and your personal device that you just bought does not have the license for it.

That is why it is asking you to license it on your end.

An easy way to tell if a computer has been tuned is to just compare it with a stock file from the same year truck with the same operating system and engine/transmission combo. You don't have their tuning device so you can't see your file/VIN on their hard drive and the VCM Editor information page.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I do appreciate your help, but the ecm was never "tuned". All I said is they turned off the VATs..... Thats it. I did compare it to the other ECM i have and there is very slight differances. So all my question is, how do i tell if it has had a licensed before? Its strange to me that both the ECMs are saying the exact same thing.
    I would think if it had a license attached to it there would be some type of indication of it...
    Sorry, Im just trying completely understand how this works....

Quote Originally Posted by SICKMINDED RACING View Post
    So all my question is, how do i tell if it has had a licensed before?
    If the VATS is "off" or set to "none" in the computer they gave you, then it was licensed.

To edit anything on the computer required a license. So to remove VATS, they had to license it.

If you had access to a GM tool and all of that diagnostic equipment you could check the Cal ID and CVN numbers to see if they match the factory calibration settings. They do this in California now to check to see if a computer has been tuned for not.

Tuner in Training
    California can lick something hairy in my opinion. Lol
    Well being there is a few ways ive seen online to turn off vats with out going thru HP or some type of license, that why i ask. If thats what was done, there is no way to tell. so license or no license no way to know. I just want to make sure at this point they did indeed installed a license that they sold me and not some backdoor hopptie crap off off someones cell phone for free. I just wanna make sure I didnt pay for something that was never used.

Its like having a rearend built, pay for new bearing, and they never got used. Just put the old ones in.

I seriously appreciate it