Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuner Lock continued.

Tuner in Training

Tuner Lock continued.

This is a hot topic that HPTuners has sidestepped and circled around and dodged. Sometimes they back the tuner on certain PCMs, sometimes they disagree with locking....also based on certain PCMs.

It would be nice to have some actual clarity on this.

What is the OFFICIAL HPTuners stance on tuner-locking as of MPVI2 generation?
    Does HPTuners support tuner-locking in general? If so, why? If not, why?
    What is the future of HPTuners as far as the next generation of tuning device? Will tuner-locking be a feature?

because of hyper-rapid thread locking i didnt get a chance to respond to the previous thread. Some of us have to deliver on our promises and provide ETAs for customer paid projects.

@tomaptuning it would be nice to have an actual conversation. i hoped you would make a valid point in the discussion but.....nope. see if you can in this discussion.

Yes let’s have a conversation about this. It’s looking like I am just another tuner locked victim. Bought mine from a dealer in Phoenix that could not provide me with previous owner info. So there is no way around this?

If a computer is tuner locked, you are out of luck.

Buy a new computer and have it programmed to your cars VIN, then license that new computer.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

i saw a video on you tube that shows the guy grounding a pin on the board of the ecm and then reading within 15 sec. and it bypasses the lock i just dont know if that works with a e38. also chris martinez says that there are tuners on the forum that can unlock my pcm.........anyone , anyone????
    Last edited by biholliday; 12-10-2020 at 06:28 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by biholliday View Post
    i saw a video on you tube that shows the guy grounding a pin on the board of the ecm and then reading within 15 sec. and it bypasses the lock i just dont know if that works with a e38. also chris martinez says that there are tuners on the forum that can unlock my pcm.........anyone , anyone????

We unlock them pcmofnc.com

To date have not seen a tuner locked ECM that wasn't a complete sloppy shit show. They aren't protecting secrets...just shitty work IMHO.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

I believe HP Tuners should offer the unlock as a service, at a minimum.

Here is how it should work....

The unlock will write a factory image back to the ECM.

This way the work of others is not exposed, either good or bad and the customer wont have to buy a new ECM and can still tune the ECM they already paid for.
    The customer would be able to take the vehicle to a new tuner, HPT would not be held responsible, and if the customer chooses to tune it themselves, they can.

I don't understand why HPT doesn't offer this. The tuner was already paid for their "services" when they tuned and locked it.

This would be a win/win for HP Tuners. Can someone from the HP Tuners offer some input on the subject?

Anyone with access to oem programming can flash one back to stock no problem, I?ve done it on lots of duramax. You have to do a replace and reprogram instead of reprogram on the gm site

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
    Anyone with access to oem programming can flash one back to stock no problem, I?ve done it on lots of duramax. You have to do a replace and reprogram instead of reprogram on the gm site
    its not that simple on most applications, additionally Ford tunerlocking is very different from GM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Bill, can you offer a reply to my post above with a little color, possibly?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by tune2mbt View Post
    Bill, can you offer a reply to my post above with a little color, possibly?
    Unfortunately not, I can say we will not be offering unlocking as a service.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    How do you know your tune is locked in the first place? I bought an 09 G8 GXP that apparently has a tune on it. I was able to read the file without any issue today.

You wouldn't be able to view the tune file if it was tuner locked. Simple as that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

lucky you. I cant even read mine. The tcm and fscm no problem, but when it tries the ecm it reads for 50% then 36x number of attempts comes on and says Failed.

And apparently you cant get a junkyard ecm either. at least not in Kingman AZ because for 1. there are no chevy ss here. and 2. the dealer doesnt flash anything but a new one with no vin. I suppose you could do it yourself with the right pass-thru just not an autel maxiflash elite J2534 box. You have to have a 40 dollar subscription to acdelco to use the sps gm programming platform.

Senior Tuner
    Tuner lock changes the seed/key that is used to unlock the ECM. It if starts to read at all and gets to 50% it's not tuner locked.

then wtf? If I do a read entire, it fails. if i do a do not read on the ecu it reads the tcm and fscm just fine. the custom key box for the ecm is there and i can put in a code at 50% and it will try but gets stuck at 50% or fail. I can hook it up to a autel scanner and read live data or the vcm scanner and read live data but one time while hp scanner was live i went for a drive and the tcm lost connection i was stuck in 3rd gear(auto) and check engine light came on so i limped home and hooked up the scanner and read the codes and the codes were "lost communication with the ecm and tcm. I cleared the codes and everything was normal. The weird thing is that i looked at tcm and fscm OS and it says unlocked. Also the autel says its unlocked too. When i got the car it had shorty headers and a roto fab. The car runs great. could it be a stock tune with those upgrades? Oh yeah and it has cats but no mufflers just a ebay exhaust with resonators. I want to put a btr stage 2 cam but...idk

Senior Tuner
    AFAIK TCMs and FPCMs can't be locked. A locked ECM will not prevent you from using a scanner on it. At this point if it were me I would remove the ECM and try and read it with my bench harness. All I can say is every tuner locked ECM I've ever encountered wouldn't ever begin a read. Always failed at the Unlocking phase before the read phase begins.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    We unlock them pcmofnc.com

To date have not seen a tuner locked ECM that wasn't a complete sloppy shit show. They aren't protecting secrets...just shitty work IMHO.
    Agreed
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Potential Tuner
    can someone give me an answer i need here i have a 2004 holden ute v8 ls1 engine it has been mafless tuned before but runs like a dog this is my first ever hp tune and I get error 36x about 30 sec into the download does this mean it is locked ? im using the MPVI2
    i have emailed support but thought i would ask here also trying to speed up a reply so i can tell my customer
    Regards Ross

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    can someone give me an answer i need here i have a 2004 holden ute v8 ls1 engine it has been mafless tuned before but runs like a dog this is my first ever hp tune and I get error 36x about 30 sec into the download does this mean it is locked ? im using the MPVI2
    i have emailed support but thought i would ask here also trying to speed up a reply so i can tell my customer
    Regards Ross
    Yes sir.