Thread: Struggling with VE table inconsistency

Potential Tuner

Struggling with VE table inconsistency

So i've been struggling for weeks with dialing in the VE table. This is my first time tuning a car and after doing tons of research on other forum posts i haven't been able to find a solution that fixes my problems. I've got a 1983 mustang with a gen 3 lm7 with a 226 int/ 238 exh/ 600 lift cam, stock decapped injectors, 255lph fuel pump, longtube headers, and an ls1 intake. I've got the inj flow rate set to 70lb/hr that was recommended to me to start with by the injector guy.

So the big problem i've been having when tuning the VE table. I've set up a histogram with the wideband and i use the past multiply by % - half so i don't overshoot. Whenever i get the cells within 10% or so, the next time I go to log its way off, usually 20% or more but it's different everytime and different for every cell. Under WOT it usually stays closer to how it was the previous log, within 5-10%, but i feel like once i get it to within 5% or so it should stay there everytime i log. I've got an aem wideband in the xpipe about 12 inches away from the end of the headers. I've tried moving it to the driver side header and sealed all the joints with silicon to ensure no exhaust leaks to see if that would add some consistency but had no luck. I've also tried changing the eoit to 6.24 and 6.04, i've heard that helps with the overlap on a bigger cam but didn't notice much of a difference. Also, there tends to be a lean spike most of the time entering PE. I've seen people say to increase the transient fuel table which I tried a little and didn't notice a difference and have since gone back to stock.

So pretty much wondering if someone with more experience in tuning sees anything obvious that im missing with my tune. I'll include the tune and a log with some WOT pulls below as well. It might not be obvious in the log that its changing every time but i bet if i did an identical log tomorrow it would look different.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RileyP; 07-28-2020 at 10:03 PM.

I would partially blame those injectors, I wouldn't trust them very much. Finding stock injectors that flow the 30-33lb/hr that is needed for an engine like this would be easy to find. Then you'd have perfect data for everything. Just changing the flow rate isn't really enough for de-caps, other things change but we don't know the exact data to tune for them.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I would partially blame those injectors, I wouldn't trust them very much. Finding stock injectors that flow the 30-33lb/hr that is needed for an engine like this would be easy to find. Then you'd have perfect data for everything. Just changing the flow rate isn't really enough for de-caps, other things change but we don't know the exact data to tune for them.
    Thanks for the tip! I do have another set of injectors I could swap in but I was planning on keeping the decapped ones in for some drag racing this weekend because I?ve been pretty busy and I?d rather not risk changing the tune back a whole lot. Is there anything else that you know of that I could switch in the tune to make the decaps work better? Thanks