Thread: 18 Charger Scat - P1DF3 Code - Tranny Stuck in Park

Tuner in Training

18 Charger Scat - P1DF3 Code - Tranny Stuck in Park

Original Post:
    First time tuning my 18 Scat w/HPtuners. Modified PCM and bypass cable installed. After writing a remote tune from a reputable tuner and starting the car, Im getting a P1DF3 code which I believe is preventing the car from shifting out of park. Anyone seen this before or have recommendations?

Car is stock except for intake/exhaust/AEM wideband

So far have tried the following:
    - reload the modified tune multiple times with the latest beta hptuners
    - reload the stock tune
    - disconnect negative battery cable for 10minutes

The code is still persisting. Thanks for any help you can provide. - Greg

Reference for code info: https://www.hellcat.org/threads/dtc-p1df3.178481/

Update 1:
    Thanks spoolboy for responding and helping out. Appreciate it! I got a likely first response from HPTuners clarifying the code and recommending to troubleshoot the ESM interfaces.

"I've done some research and the purpose of this DTC is to monitor the time period of the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) initialization state. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) receives the status of the initialization state from the ESM on the Controller Area Network (CAN) bus while evaluating a counter in the TCM to determine if the initialization time is excessive. I would suggest visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins."

So I kept thinking about the situation overnight and continue to be mystified how practically new car with no significant mods could fortuitously have physical defects crop up at the exact same time as flashing the car with no other prior issues whatsoever. My masters in engineering background although not automotive has trained me to troubleshoot issues for a living, and I can't seem to come up with any rationale for why this would be a physical or component issue. Alas I continued troubleshooting this morning with the following:

1. Reflashed the 'entire' ECM stock file and TCM 'calibration'. Same codes
    2. Removed paneling to remove and inspect connectors at the bypass cable, obdII port, and associated under dash locations. Maybe I knocked something loose I thought. Didn't find anything suspect.
    3. Removed ECM and inspected pins and connectors. No issues.
    4. Removed and inspected electronic shift module (ESM) from the vehicle. Looks brand new, no issues.
    5. Reassembled and checked codes again...same issues.
    6. Reflashed the ECM/TCM calibrations disabling the P1DF3 code. It removed the code, but also disabled functionality so the car didnt start.
    7. Reflashed the ECM/TCM calibrations with the stock read. The code returned, and the same issues persist.

At this point, I'm stumped. To clarify there are 4 total codes indicating TCM issues communicating with the ESM, ABS, BCM, and ECM as follows:

P1DF3 - ECU Not Initialized (Pending, Current, Permanent)
    U0100 - Lost Communication With ECM/PCM A (Permanent)
    U0121 - Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module (Permanent)
    U0140 - Lost Communication With Body Control Module (Permanent)

Could it be that somehow the TCM was damaged in the flash? Should I consider replacing any modules to test that theory? The TCM is not totally fried because it has comms on the CAN bus and accepts flashing files.

Many questions like any of our car mod woes, but this one is most interesting from my past given nothing was changed except a flash to the ECM/TCM. I'm waiting a response from The Tuning School as well, and will continue to think of ways to troubleshoot. Any suggestions?

Update 2:
    After additional troubleshooting with no progress, I invested in a subscription to alldatadiy.com. Very useful and helpful service manual style information where I found 2 references to use in troubleshooting the problem. I followed both with no indications of any issues or failures, so my next step will be to replace the ESM. I'm including the reference material below...

First, the guidance specific to the P1DF3 code as follows:
    The purpose of the diagnostic is to monitor the time period of the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) initialization state. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) receives the status of the initialization state from the ESM on the Controller Area Network (CAN) bus while evaluating a counter in the TCM to determine if the initialization time is excessive.

When Monitored and Set Conditions
    When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:
    - Ignition on.
    - No Controller Area Network (CAN) monitoring Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) set.
    - Battery voltage is above a calibrated value.
    - No shifter reset requested.

Set Conditions:
    - The time period of the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) initialization is greater than a calibrated amount of time.

Default Actions:
    - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is illuminated on the first trip that the diagnostic fails.
    - Transmission Control Module (TCM) will inhibit Transmission from being shifted out of PARK.
    - Reverse will be disabled.
    - Special shifting modes (Sport Mode, Winter Mode, Manual Mode, etc.,) will be disabled.

Diagnostic Test
    CHECK FOR TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM) CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN) BUS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)
    With the scan tool, read TCM DTCs and record on the repair order.
    Are any TCM CAN bus DTCs set?

Yes; Repair TCM CAN bus DTCs. If DTC U0001-CAN C BUS is set, perform that diagnostic first; Perform the TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST.
    No; Go To 2

CHECK IF ELECTRONIC SHIFT MODULE (ESM) DTCS ARE PRESENT
    With the scan tool, read ESM DTCs and record on the repair order.
    Are any ESM DTCs set?

Yes; Repair ESM DTC(s); Perform the TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST
    No; Using the schematics as a guide, check the TCM connector and all related in-line connector terminals for corrosion, damage, or pushed out terminals. Pay particular attention to the power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the TCM in accordance with the Service Information.; Perform the TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST.

__________________________________________________ ________

Second, a troubleshooting procedure for ESM Communications...

NO RESPONSE FROM ESM (ELECTRONIC SHIFT MODULE) 8-SPEED

CHECK THE MODULE STATUS ON THE CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN) C BUS

- Turn the ignition on.
    - With the scan tool, read the CAN topology on the Vehicle View screen.
    - Does the Vehicle View screen indicate that the Module is active on the bus?

Yes; The condition or conditions that originally set this Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) are not present at this time. Using the wiring diagrams as a guide, check all related splices and connectors for signs of water intrusion, corrosion, pushed out or bent terminals, and correct terminal tension and repair as necessary. If no problems are found, test complete.; Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.
    No; Go To 2

CHECK THE (A190) FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN OR SHORT TO GROUND
    NOTE:The CAN bus will remain active with the scan tool connected and the ignition off.
    NOTE:Leave the scan tool connected and on the Vehicle View screen.

- Turn the ignition off.
    - Disconnect the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) harness connector.
    - With a 12-volt test light connected to ground, check the (A190) Fused B(+) circuit at the ESM harness connector.
    NOTE:The test light must illuminate brightly. Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.
    - Does the test light illuminate brightly?

Yes; Go To 3
    No; Repair the (A190) Fused B(+) circuit for an open or short to ground.; Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.

CHECK THE (Z911) GROUND CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

- With a 12-volt test light connected to 12 volts, check the (Z911) Ground circuit at the ESM harness connector.

Yes; Go To 4
    No; Repair the (Z911) Ground circuit for an open or high resistance. Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.

CHECK THE (D430) CAN C BUS (+) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

- Measure the voltage on the (D430) CAN C Bus (+) circuit at the ESM harness connector.
    - Is the voltage below 2.5 volts?

Yes; Repair the (D430) CAN C Bus (+) circuit for an open or high resistance. Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.
    No; Go To 5

CHECK THE (D429) CAN C BUS (-) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

- Measure the voltage on the (D429) CAN C Bus (-) circuit at the ESM harness connector.
    - Is the voltage below 1.3 volts?

Yes; Repair the (D429) CAN C Bus (-) circuit for an open or high resistance. Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.
    No; Replace the ESM in accordance with the Service Information. Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.

Update 3:
    Replacing the ESM didnt work. I called Dodge service and they mentioned sometimes they have to program the modules to the car, but didnt know off hand for this specific one. I think the car has to be towed to the dealer for diagnosis since I don't have access to a tech 2 tool...Any other ideas?

Update 4:
    I had the vehicle towed to the Dodge dealer and they troubleshot the issue for 2 days afterwhich they provided the following synopsis:

"Based upon the diagnostic flow chart we have determined that the Charger will need a new transmission control module, which is part of the valvebody. The P1DF3-00 is not accompanied by any CAN Bus diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's). With no DTCs the next step is to check for Electronic Shift Module (ESM) DTC's, in which there are none. The wiring checks out as well. The flowchart states that if this is the case, replace and program a new TCM. The TCM that is currently in the vehicle will not accept a software flash, and the vehicle also has code P1400, Aftermarket Calibration Detected/Warranty Coverage Confirmation Required in the system in the PCM, so it is a possibility that the PCM might have to be reprogrammed back to factory as well. At this point, the first step in getting your Charger Running is replacing the TCM/valve body which will run $1,943.60 + tax."

I also had a good discussion with HPTuners service and they agreed to provide a replacement PCM to try. So I'm waiting for that to arrive and my plan is to swap the PCM and see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't, there does not seem to be any other option but to replace the TCM which is inside of the transmission. Still there is no explanation for what happened or why this issue arose. More to follow...

Update 5 (Final):
    Replacing the TCM solved the issue. Cause for the issue is unknown, but likely due to some sort of issue during the flash process.

I want to thank Chad from HPTuners service for all the help diagnosing and supporting me through this issue. I sent the MPVI2 in for testing and it passed so there are no issues on that side. Now back to tuning with an extremely escalated pucker factor.
    Last edited by gfertig; 08-27-2020 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Update

Advanced Tuner
    Did you try running it after the PCM was installed but before the remote tune was flashed?
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Tuner in Training
    Yes. I received the unlocked PCM, installed (and bypass cable), and drove the car for several days with no issues. Just pulled it into the driveway to write the tune, and there it sits. Also tried writing the stock tune back and clearing the PCM and TCM codes with no luck. Seems from other threads that most people with this code can clear it and move on but I cant get the code to clear. I don't think its tied to the tune, maybe an issue during write?

Advanced Tuner
    Did you send a ticket to HPT support? I think short of re-installing your original PCM you might be stuck for now unless they can help you.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I did. After fiddling some more I can?t see what else would be wrong given it was fine prior to the flash..maybe screwed up the PCM or TCM? Sucks. I?ll let you know when they respond.

Tuner in Training
    Update: Thanks spoolboy for responding and helping out. Appreciate it! I got a likely first response from HPTuners clarifying the code and recommending to troubleshoot the ESM interfaces.

"I've done some research and the purpose of this DTC is to monitor the time period of the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) initialization state. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) receives the status of the initialization state from the ESM on the Controller Area Network (CAN) bus while evaluating a counter in the TCM to determine if the initialization time is excessive. I would suggest visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins."

So I kept thinking about the situation overnight and continue to be mystified how practically new car with no significant mods could fortuitously have physical defects crop up at the exact same time as flashing the car with no other prior issues whatsoever. My masters in engineering background although not automotive has trained me to troubleshoot issues for a living, and I can't seem to come up with any rationale for why this would be a physical or component issue. Alas I continued troubleshooting this morning with the following:

1. Reflashed the 'entire' ECM stock file and TCM 'calibration'. Same codes
    2. Removed paneling to remove and inspect connectors at the bypass cable, obdII port, and associated under dash locations. Maybe I knocked something loose I thought. Didn't find anything suspect.
    3. Removed ECM and inspected pins and connectors. No issues.
    4. Removed and inspected electronic shift module (ESM) from the vehicle. Looks brand new, no issues.
    5. Reassembled and checked codes again...same issues.
    6. Reflashed the ECM/TCM calibrations disabling the P1DF3 code. It removed the code, but also disabled functionality so the car didnt start.
    7. Reflashed the ECM/TCM calibrations with the stock read. The code returned, and the same issues persist.

At this point, I'm stumped. To clarify there are 4 total codes indicating TCM issues communicating with the ESM, ABS, BCM, and ECM as follows:

P1DF3 - ECU Not Initialized (Pending, Current, Permanent)
    U0100 - Lost Communication With ECM/PCM A (Permanent)
    U0121 - Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module (Permanent)
    U0140 - Lost Communication With Body Control Module (Permanent)

Could it be that somehow the TCM was damaged in the flash? Should I consider replacing any modules to test that theory? The TCM is not totally fried because it has comms on the CAN bus and accepts flashing files.

Many questions like any of our car mod woes, but this one is most interesting from my past given nothing was changed except a flash to the ECM/TCM. I'm waiting a response from The Tuning School as well, and will continue to think of ways to troubleshoot. Any suggestions?

Advanced Tuner
    Try sticking the stock PCM back in and see what it does. That's what I would do. At least the car should be driveable at that point.

Many of those U0 codes pop up as a result of flashing or reading and will go away or be cleared during "cleaning up".

Have you tried reading the unlocked PCM?

Tuner in Training
    The PCM I'm using is the original PCM I sent to HPtuners for unlock. I didnt get a spare to use. There were a few U0 codes that popped up in the PCM log, but those went away after I wrote the stock tune back as "entire." The 4 codes listed are being logged from the TCM.

Yes I can read the PCM and TCM with no problem. No issues with comms to the PCM or TCM...just these 4 codes after the first flash.

Tuner in Training
    Update 2:
    After additional troubleshooting with no progress, I invested in a subscription to alldatadiy.com. Very useful and helpful service manual style information where I found 2 references to use in troubleshooting the problem. I followed both with no indications of any issues or failures, so my next step will be to replace the ESM. I'm including the reference material below...

First, the guidance specific to the P1DF3 code as follows:
    The purpose of the diagnostic is to monitor the time period of the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) initialization state. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) receives the status of the initialization state from the ESM on the Controller Area Network (CAN) bus while evaluating a counter in the TCM to determine if the initialization time is excessive.

When Monitored and Set Conditions
    When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:
    - Ignition on.
    - No Controller Area Network (CAN) monitoring Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) set.
    - Battery voltage is above a calibrated value.
    - No shifter reset requested.

Set Conditions:
    - The time period of the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) initialization is greater than a calibrated amount of time.

Default Actions:
    - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is illuminated on the first trip that the diagnostic fails.
    - Transmission Control Module (TCM) will inhibit Transmission from being shifted out of PARK.
    - Reverse will be disabled.
    - Special shifting modes (Sport Mode, Winter Mode, Manual Mode, etc.,) will be disabled.

Diagnostic Test
    CHECK FOR TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM) CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN) BUS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)
    With the scan tool, read TCM DTCs and record on the repair order.
    Are any TCM CAN bus DTCs set?

Yes; Repair TCM CAN bus DTCs. If DTC U0001-CAN C BUS is set, perform that diagnostic first; Perform the TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST.
    No; Go To 2

CHECK IF ELECTRONIC SHIFT MODULE (ESM) DTCS ARE PRESENT
    With the scan tool, read ESM DTCs and record on the repair order.
    Are any ESM DTCs set?

Yes; Repair ESM DTC(s); Perform the TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST
    No; Using the schematics as a guide, check the TCM connector and all related in-line connector terminals for corrosion, damage, or pushed out terminals. Pay particular attention to the power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the TCM in accordance with the Service Information.; Perform the TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST.

__________________________________________________ ________

Second, a troubleshooting procedure for ESM Communications...

NO RESPONSE FROM ESM (ELECTRONIC SHIFT MODULE) 8-SPEED

CHECK THE MODULE STATUS ON THE CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN) C BUS

- Turn the ignition on.
    - With the scan tool, read the CAN topology on the Vehicle View screen.
    - Does the Vehicle View screen indicate that the Module is active on the bus?

Yes; The condition or conditions that originally set this Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) are not present at this time. Using the wiring diagrams as a guide, check all related splices and connectors for signs of water intrusion, corrosion, pushed out or bent terminals, and correct terminal tension and repair as necessary. If no problems are found, test complete.; Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.
    No; Go To 2

CHECK THE (A190) FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN OR SHORT TO GROUND
    NOTE:The CAN bus will remain active with the scan tool connected and the ignition off.
    NOTE:Leave the scan tool connected and on the Vehicle View screen.

- Turn the ignition off.
    - Disconnect the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) harness connector.
    - With a 12-volt test light connected to ground, check the (A190) Fused B(+) circuit at the ESM harness connector.
    NOTE:The test light must illuminate brightly. Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.

Yes; Go To 3
    No; Repair the (A190) Fused B(+) circuit for an open or short to ground.; Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.

CHECK THE (Z911) GROUND CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

- With a 12-volt test light connected to 12 volts, check the (Z911) Ground circuit at the ESM harness connector.

Yes; Go To 4
    No; Repair the (Z911) Ground circuit for an open or high resistance. Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.

CHECK THE (D430) CAN C BUS (+) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

- Measure the voltage on the (D430) CAN C Bus (+) circuit at the ESM harness connector.
    - Is the voltage below 2.5 volts?

Yes; Repair the (D430) CAN C Bus (+) circuit for an open or high resistance. Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.
    No; Go To 5

CHECK THE (D429) CAN C BUS (-) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

- Measure the voltage on the (D429) CAN C Bus (-) circuit at the ESM harness connector.
    - Is the voltage below 1.3 volts?

Yes; Repair the (D429) CAN C Bus (-) circuit for an open or high resistance. Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.
    No; Replace the ESM in accordance with the Service Information. Perform the ESM VERIFICATION TEST.
    Last edited by gfertig; 08-04-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Update 3:
    Replacing the ESM didnt work. I called Dodge service and they mentioned sometimes they have to program the modules to the car, but didnt know off hand for this specific one. I think the car has to be towed to the dealer for diagnosis since I don't have access to a tech 2 tool...Any other ideas?

Tuner in Training
    Update 4: I had the vehicle towed to the Dodge dealer and they troubleshot the issue for 2 days afterwhich they provided the following synopsis:

"Based upon the diagnostic flow chart we have determined that the Charger will need a new transmission control module, which is part of the valvebody. The P1DF3-00 is not accompanied by any CAN Bus diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's). With no DTCs the next step is to check for Electronic Shift Module (ESM) DTC's, in which there are none. The wiring checks out as well. The flowchart states that if this is the case, replace and program a new TCM. The TCM that is currently in the vehicle will not accept a software flash, and the vehicle also has code P1400, Aftermarket Calibration Detected/Warranty Coverage Confirmation Required in the system in the PCM, so it is a possibility that the PCM might have to be reprogrammed back to factory as well. At this point, the first step in getting your Charger Running is replacing the TCM/valve body which will run $1,943.60 + tax."

I also had a good discussion with HPTuners service and they agreed to provide a replacement PCM to try. So I'm waiting for that to arrive and my plan is to swap the PCM and see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't, there does not seem to be any other option but to replace the TCM which is inside of the transmission. Still there is no explanation for what happened or why this issue arose. More to follow...

Tuner in Training
    Update 5 (Final): Replacing the TCM solved the issue. Cause for the issue is unknown, but likely due to some sort of issue during the flash process.

I want to thank Chad from HPTuners service for all the help diagnosing and supporting me through this issue. I sent the MPVI2 in for testing and it passed so there are no issues on that side. Now back to tuning with an extremely escalated pucker factor.

Do you have the tazer married to the car by chance? I had an same issue after I flashed the TCM. I unmarried the tazer and it was fine. And I always have to unmarry it if I flash the TCM. I had the same codes also.

Tuner in Training
    I do have a tazer but I went through that whole process with no change unfortunately. Good reminder for everyone though, make sure you unmarry the tazer before flashing!

Quote Originally Posted by gfertig View Post
    I do have a tazer but I went through that whole process with no change unfortunately. Good reminder for everyone though, make sure you unmarry the tazer before flashing!
    yea, reason why i wish it remember the settings when you remarry it.