Thread: Which ECM?

Potential Tuner

Which ECM?

I'm doing an LS swap and need some advice on what engine ecm to use. I have a 2008 gen iv, L76 6.0 from a truck and a 6l90e from a 2012 CTS-V. I have all the engine sensors and DBW TB but not MAF/IAT and O2 sensors. The engine has VVT and AFM which I will delete. The trans code is 1DJA with a julian date of 0243 (end of Aug). The tcm has the numbers 24256124 and under that in smaller text is 612 4 0231Q 0744. I plan on keeping the engine NA and want to run on E85 with a flex fuel sensor. So, an e38 or e67 or something else? Also, new to tuning but not new to engines, electronics and wiring. Thanks everyone!

Advanced Tuner
    Terminator X
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the replay mcfarlnd but a Termimator X will not control a GM 6 speed. So let me clarify what I am asking. I have a 6l90 from a 2012 CTS-V and a gen IV ls. CTS-V's had a e67 ecm. Do I or should I use an e67 or can I use an e38? Or is there a different OEM ECM I can or should use? I am new to tuning, so could I segment swap to make whatever work? It is my understanding that the ecm and tcm need compatible operating software and believe one of the numbers I listed in my prior post that was on the tcm, is the operating software. I do not know the vin of the car it came out of. I want to buy a ecm that I know would work. I plan on buying HPTuner software to do the needed mods. That's why I am asking everyone here, help a new guy out.

E67 is more limited in applications and also knowledge base - not that there aren't people out there who know their quirks. E38 is as close to generic as you can get for Gen4 stuff, they were just used in so many different platforms. Even plain jane pickemup trucks used the E38/T43 combo. '12 Silverado and '12 CTS-V show the same P/Ns for the TCM.

Is there a specific reason why you would need to stick with something CTS-V-compatible? Gauges? BCM?

Advanced Tuner
    Wasn’t trying to be a dick if it came off that way. The segment swaps aren’t like they used to be. Certain year E38/E67 ECUs can only accept certain OS and you could very well brick some stuff in the process trying to figure it out. TCMs seem to be a little more forgiving on what you flash into it however, it has to have a compatible OS with your ECU OS. Not to mention, hard coded limits in the aforementioned ECUs are not the easiest for a new tuner. If you are dead set or swap requires a factory ECU/TCM, I would think your best bet would be to look for a truck or car OS that used the 6L90 then head to the nearest pull a part to grab the ECU,TCM, Gas Pedal and all the wiring from a similar vehicle. You can tune that engine on any of the mentioned platforms easily, it is just getting the OS correct for the TCM and ECU that will be a pain. For the cost of all the parts, time, etc.. I would honestly strongly consider skipping the Headache of the factory ECU and do a terminator X with a stand-alone controller for your trans.
    Last edited by mcfarlnd; 08-02-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

6L80/90 TCM is inside the valvebody, there's no such thing as a standalone controller for those. However there is what's essentially an 'ECM emulator' that allows the internal TCM to think it's talking to a real GM ECM. Cost with harness is around $1000. I could put up with a lot of E38 weirdness for that kind of money. The Terminator X isn't free either, unless you're Jay Leno and they send you a truckload of free shit every week.

If the application were for a 4L60/4L80 there is no doubt that the Terminator would be the smartest choice.

Potential Tuner
    blindsquirrel - thanks for the response. I'm new to the tuning world, I understand all the parameters but not operating software specifics. I am not using a bcm, gauges or anything like that. I just want to be able to get an ecm that will work with the tcm I have. I just don't want to get ecm ABC when ecm XYZ is needed. I'm building a "street" car and got the 6L90 at a good price. So in a sense, everything is revolving around this 6l90.
    mcfarlnd - sorry to say, I came to this forum expecting some knowledgeable guidance using hp tuner software to make a ecm and tcm work together, just want to make sure I get something that will work. When you said "Terminator X", yes, I have looked into what this can do and seems like an awesome system but it does not run a 6 speed which I specifically said I have. I also looked into the tcm-2650 but this is an "emulator" as you call it which would still need hp tuners to adjust parameters. It seems to be a more realistic choice using an OEM ecm/tcm for my usage. As far as a harness, I am very capable of utilizing an OEM harness, acquiring any needed connectors, terminals and schematics and modifying as needed. I appreciate any and all help.

Advanced Tuner
    E38...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Your trans can run either the CTS-V or Silverado OS, they are the same TCM hardware.

Silverados came with that same E38/T43 combo.

Get an E38, whatever Service Number is compatible with a '12 Silverado. I believe the service number you need is 12633238, I am not an E38 expert by any means so I will not be offended if you ask for a second opinion on that - in fact, please do. Buying one pre-flashed and/or for the exact '12 Silverado app will not save you much of anything here as the trans still needs to be flashed in situ. Also '12 Silverado did not get a 6.0L (edit: 2500 did, 1500 didn't), they moved to 6.2L by that year.

When you have the harness built but before you license anything with HP Tuners, might be a good idea to do a 'read' of the TCM and save it for future reference - you do not have to license the file to save it and use it to compare/copy from later. Then have the ECM+TCM flashed with '12 Silverado calibrations using a GM dealer-type tool (MDI/Tech2), that way you only have to spend the credits once. Please do not try flashing repository files with the HPT interface, it will let you do it, but it won't be right. The first full-write needs to use the dealer flash tools.

1GCNC9E0XCZ194482 is a valid VIN for a '12 Silverado, 5.3L/A6, E38/T43, 2WD. That should get you an OS you can work with set up in both modules.

I did look at compatibility for '08 Silverado since that's what your engine is, but the TCM P/N is different, so low likelihood that the '12 TCM would work with the '08 calibration. Using '12 stuff will be the easier route. The engine won't know what year it was anyhow especially after VVT/AFM is deleted.
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 08-03-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWild View Post
    blindsquirrel - thanks for the response. I'm new to the tuning world, I understand all the parameters but not operating software specifics. I am not using a bcm, gauges or anything like that. I just want to be able to get an ecm that will work with the tcm I have. I just don't want to get ecm ABC when ecm XYZ is needed. I'm building a "street" car and got the 6L90 at a good price. So in a sense, everything is revolving around this 6l90.
    mcfarlnd - sorry to say, I came to this forum expecting some knowledgeable guidance using hp tuner software to make a ecm and tcm work together, just want to make sure I get something that will work. When you said "Terminator X", yes, I have looked into what this can do and seems like an awesome system but it does not run a 6 speed which I specifically said I have. I also looked into the tcm-2650 but this is an "emulator" as you call it which would still need hp tuners to adjust parameters. It seems to be a more realistic choice using an OEM ecm/tcm for my usage. As far as a harness, I am very capable of utilizing an OEM harness, acquiring any needed connectors, terminals and schematics and modifying as needed. I appreciate any and all help.

No need to apologize.... Pretty sure I already mentioned 2 ?knowledgeable? answers. One of which was to just get an 09+ E38 car, truck, van, etc.... with 6L90 Auto trans control..... I don?t know your money situation or your complete build at the time so, I gave options to your question. Despite what blind squirrel mentions for cost, although a more expensive route, you don?t actually have to be Jay Leno and some people value time over cost of parts. Either way, hope you get it all worked out.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

E38, UNLESS you want boost. Then E67 which is built for boost. Think hard on this as the harness is different. Everyone says will never have boost then does it. LOL.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for all the tips. As far as costs, I want the best bang for the buck but not afraid to spend a little more for something that will work better. Project is a 1977 Camaro that will be mainly street driven and wanted to be different so i got the 6 speed. Being an ex GM dealership tech and ASE Master tech, I have the know-how and patience to modify and make my own harness to be routed exactly the way I want it and understand what all the parameters are and what they do. I still have friends who work in the dealership so getting the controllers programmed with base software is not an issue.
    Blind squirrel - very useful info and appreciate the specifics, especially the VIN.
    Mcfarlnd - yes, different perspective on your part but seems like the best bang is using oem.
    Jslic -.you bring up a good point. The cost of a good set of stainless long tubes is not much different from using stock manifolds with a conservative sized turbo, waste gate, blow off and intercooler.
    So... can an e38 be used for boost or an e67 be used for NA? As far as an E85 sensor, can either be programmed for an actual sensor?
    Thanks for all the info.

Advanced Tuner
    Both the E38 and the E67 can be used for boost. Both can be paired with the T43 TCM in the 6L80/6L90. Get a 2010 and newer ECM if you plan on running injectors larger than 63 pound, unless you want to or know how to scale injectors. There are more E38s out there than E67s. I've tuned both...

Anything can be used for boost. AN E67 was made for boost. Allows for inputs others do not support. It is also used on NA but not very often as the extra inputs have little value there. Put it this way the GM ZR1 and ZL1 came with E67s. Both 2010 and later support 127lb injectors and ethanol sensors. Only certain E38s and E67s support SD patches to the OS. While they are not needed on an E67 and E38 may have baro issues in a boosted environment without the patches.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Advanced Tuner
    Basically, you can use either. Yes the E67 was used in boosted applications but it was also used in the Trailblazer SS, which wasn't boosted. I've tuned a few boosted E38 equipped vehicles with no issues. E38s may be cheaper than E67s. Definitely GET 2010 and up ECMs though for the larger injector support.

Potential Tuner
    Greatly appreciate all the info. Did a little more research and I'm going to go with an e38 12633238. Just one more question, can a setting be changed to use an actual e85 sensor from the "virtual" sensor? Pretty sure the answer is yes but would like some feedback.

Advanced Tuner
    In a Gen 4 conversion, the 6-speed automatic transmissions (6L80 / 6L90) work really well - they are my personal choice. They can be configured for 3 driver selectable shift modes - Normal, Sport, and Tap Shift.

For the ECM, either an E38 or an E67 will work for a basic setup. Both of these ECMs were used in many platforms from 2007 to 2015. Tuning an E38 or an E67 (MAF and VVE) is an identical process.

The E67 ECMs have three distinct advantages - they can fully control an OEM Supercharger, they can fully control the Starter and Park-Neutral systems (if desired), and they can provide Cruise Control.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWild View Post
    Just one more question, can a setting be changed to use an actual e85 sensor from the "virtual" sensor? Pretty sure the answer is yes but would like some feedback.
    Yes. Just make sure you enable the DTC codes in the Engine Diagnostic section...