Thread: turning reversed and brake and acceleration reversed?

Potential Tuner

turning reversed and brake and acceleration reversed?

Hi there - Adam here. new to Race Render and having fun learning.

Weird thing... I imported AIM data and noted that turning reversed (says right turn when I just completed a left turn) and brake and acceleration reversed? Figured I must have the AIM system setup wrong and planned to adjust the AIM...

But then I tried using data from apexpro and it show the same reversed data.

I've looked and done some searching, but can't figure out what might be wrong.

2020_07_31__-_RaceRender_3_7_3_Advanced.jpg

Thanks!

-Adam

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by adaml View Post
    Hi there - Adam here. new to Race Render and having fun learning.

Weird thing... I imported AIM data and noted that turning reversed (says right turn when I just completed a left turn) and brake and acceleration reversed? Figured I must have the AIM system setup wrong and planned to adjust the AIM...

But then I tried using data from apexpro and it show the same reversed data.

I've looked and done some searching, but can't figure out what might be wrong.

2020_07_31__-_RaceRender_3_7_3_Advanced.jpg

Thanks!

-Adam
    The most complete way would be to re-calibrate AIM to record the data in the correct format, but you can compensate for this in RaceRender.

The G-Force-2D Graph has a "Reverse" checkbox about halfway down that should flip left and right. If you want to reverse the acceleration/brake, then you'll need to use a Custom Field as described below.

For the Peak G-Force at the top, you can edit the config of your Input Data to add a Custom Field at the bottom where you multiply your Lateral acceleration by -1 (assuming this is a data field that you have available; if you don't...then I can edit the Display Object to show you a reverse of the actual input). Once you have that, you can edit the Field for the Peak G-Force to be the Custom Field, and it should now be reversed. Note that it only displays a peak after the turn has dropped by at least 0.2G (unless you've manually updated the Background Script to reduce that number), so the peak might display decently after the turn is completed (hopefully not too much on an actual track though).

Potential Tuner
    The reverse options and multiplication to a custom field is a good workaround, but I'm curious why this is needed for two different data systems so diving in a bit to see what I can learn from this

1) I've pulled data from the Apex Pro Digital Driving Coach data and started a conversation with the creator asking why an example left turn doesn't have the data to be +1.31 like on a typical X/Y chart - but the creator replied saying: You might be used to these values being flipped, as you more commonly see the friction circle in videos displayed based on load, not the numeric value of the plotted point. This comment leaves me scratching my head... so figured I'd share it to see what others think. Isn't that the same thing? I assume accelerometers work based on load?

For reference:
    Picture of the video when configured to show the CSV of Apex Pro Digital Driving Coach shared data
    1.png
    3.png
    2.png

2) I've re-calibrated the AIM, no change assuming I did it correctly which I'm not certain I did since its sort of unlcear if it saves with the obscure process and mess of software

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    I typically think of an acceleration graph like I have a balloon tied on a string to something inside my car. So, if I accelerate, the balloon moves backward. If I brake, it moves forward. If the car is turning left, then the balloon is moving to the right. It's always opposite relative to the direction that the car is moving. It looks like a friction circle tends to look at it the opposite way (see https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...iction-circle/).

I guess from an instructional standpoint, it makes sense it would be recording it that way, but I prefer my videos to have a more "raw data" feel to them. The viewer (or passenger) can see the various pieces of data and come to their own conclusion about how the car is handling or what it's doing at a particular moment. A friction circle provides a layer of interpretation on top of the data: you turned right but went beyond the level of grip in the tires by accelerating and thus understeered off the circuit. If I was used to looking at friction circles (especially if I were a driving instructor), then I would probably prefer that to just an accelerometer plot, but I'm not (at least not for another 10 years or so), so I'd prefer to give the data in a format that most people would understand.

If it would be helpful, I could easily modify a "Peak G-Force" Display Object for you to just flip the left/right values. It would be a one-line update to the existing Foreground Script.

Formula 1 is trying to do more of the interpreted graphics recently which I don't particularly like since I'd rather arrive at those conclusions myself based on my knowledge of the sport and drivers, but I can see how it might be helpful to someone newer.