Thread: Distance tables snap to line

Tuner in Training

Distance tables snap to line

so i have red the threads pertaining to distance tables and im pretty sure on how they work but when i log my stock tune i dont under stand what is making
    my tune use mapped points 16 17 @~2000rpm. i will provide my log and tune. i can't see reference to those MP any where.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbf69 View Post
    so i have red the threads pertaining to distance tables and im pretty sure on how they work but when i log my stock tune i dont under stand what is making
    my tune use mapped points 16 17 @~2000rpm. i will provide my log and tune. i can't see reference to those MP any where.
    I believe since your tune has the IMRCs disabled and defaulted to 'Open', the car will always run in the range of MP14 to M26 instead of MP1 to MP13. I think MP0 is possible though?

@ 2000 RPM and around .15-.20 Load, the Best Fuel Economy Distance wants to blend MP3 and MP4. Those translate to MP16 and MP17 respectively.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    Well that makes total sense now that I look at it. I didnt read that in any of the posts I read referring to distance tables.
    I just tried MP 0 and it seems it is disabled as well

Advanced Tuner
    It took me weeks of banging my head to learn that you can command disabled points and the cams will go there, but it returns calibration data for nearby or coincident enabled points.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    It took me weeks of banging my head to learn that you can command disabled points and the cams will go there, but it returns calibration data for nearby or coincident enabled points.

I still believe your theory is possible however in the code itself there's probably a check for IMRC position and the MP is selected based on that.

One way to 'confirm' that theory is to (using OPs car as example) set MP3/4 top 3 rows of borderline to say "0", write cal, then datalog it. If it's just a 'ghost' MP16/MP17 but actually using MP3/4 then your timing would show it! Right?
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    hp.jpg
    So ive been on the hunt to make my gen2 swap cruise properly
    this is what ive come up with. i have tried changing bunch of tables and VCT changes
    1500-2500 was never smooth and i assumed it was due to my 2018 intake with lockouts
    but when logging i saw the VCT going to IVO 20 EVO 30 in those rpms
    now i have looked at every post pertaining this , there r some many different options
    my question is, will what i have done here effect anything due to the diffence from one point to another ?

Advanced Tuner
    The car should run fine at basically any mapped point unless the overlap is excessive and it effects idle. That said, yours jumps from Distance 1 to 5 with very small changes in load. I don’t see the index array to know what MP 1 and 5 equate too, but that could cause rapid fluctuation of cam timing.

Tuner in Training
    The car should run fine at basically any mapped point unless the overlap is excessive and it effects idle. That said, yours jumps from Distance 1 to 5 with very small changes in load. I don’t see the index array to know what MP 1 and 5 equate too, but that could cause rapid fluctuation of cam timing.
    In my previous post I have said I have disabled IMRC and when I do this it automatically changes the MP's to the disabled.
    So it moved MP'S 1-13 TO MP 14-25
    And so I didnt need to change all the tables as it seems to do it on it's own

Advanced Tuner
    I understand that but I still don’t know which mapped points distance 1 and 5 are indexed to. For instance, if the index array shows 1=1 and 5=2, then it may not be so bad. But, if 1=1(14) and 5=5(18) then you’re jumping from mapped point 14 to 18 with just 0.05 load change.

Tuner in Training
    I understand that but I still don’t know which mapped points distance 1 and 5 are indexed to. For instance, if the index array shows 1=1 and 5=2, then it may not be so bad. But, if 1=1(14) and 5=5(18) then you’re jumping from mapped point 14 to 18 with just 0.05 load change.
    Yes that is what it is referenced to, that is why I'm asking if it's ok for it to jump so much , I couldn't tell a differnce when driving it and have yet to find away to make the car cruise smooth without chaging the fuel economy table the way I did

Advanced Tuner
    What are the cam timings at MP14 and 18?

Tuner in Training

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, so that’s a pretty huge cam timing swing for a tiny load change. I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving it like that if it were mine.

map it out, find murfies post where he maps angles, as you transition through load and rpm your angles should be smooth and logical. Do this for FE and BD modes. In my opinion you dont want harsh transitions, or the ecu trying to do a bunch of interpolations or smoothing. remember each mapped point has its own spark, SD, and load torque relationships. The closer you can keep your cams to known good points with good data the smoother it will drive.