Thread: CVN checks on all California cars now....regulatory issues

Tuner in Training

CVN checks on all California cars now....regulatory issues

Wasn't sure where to put this, so here goes.

Starting in June orearlier of this year California smog inspection stations are now logging all Cal ID and CVN numbers on vehicles during the inspection process. At the end of the process (after everything else is checked and passed). If the Cal ID and CVN list do not match up with a list of known good OEM numbers submitted by the auto maker, the car is immediately failed and a mandatory referee visit is triggered.

From what I've seen so far this applies if either the engine or diagnostic module is changed, but it may apply to other modules as well. It's happened on multiple vehicle types, and I've even seen cars with CARB legal supercharger kits and flashes get flagged, although the kit makers seem to be able to get the CVNs added to the approved list with a call to the right state officials.

We've known this has been coming for awhile since CARB has been mandating OEMs submit Cal ID and CVN numbers on a quarterly basis since 08/09. However, the EPA also seems to be in on the game as they were doing webinars late last year about this stuff.

I expect this will propagate to Nevada in the next 2-3 years as they have been following Cal regs pretty closely (at least Clark County/Vegas). And other states that use Cal emissions standards like Massachusetts will probably adopt too.

A lot of the Euro editing sw has CVN correction available since CVN checks for registration have been going on there for awhile, and I suppose if you were using WinOLS you could probably figure it out too. Trying to go in and do single bit changes on unimportant tables in HP Tuners doesn't really work since the CVN calculation is a polynomial equation (CRC 16 I think?), so its not just a simple checksum.

I know that CVN correction is probably a pretty sticky issue since HP stopped doing it long ago, but without it we're going to be restricted to those tools that will do it, or customers will have to reflash their cars every 2 years. Definite market impact though. If anyone wants to PM me for more info feel free. I'll also monitor this thread just in case, but heads up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Sorry, not going to happen.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"