Thread: MTX scanning assistance

Tuner in Training JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar

MTX scanning assistance

Hey guys,
    I have an MTX Innovate WB on my 98 LS1 with 2bar Custom operating system set up in speed density.
    Ive just started tuning this and have been watching videos and setting up my PIDS, modifying a few things her and there, and pasted some histography stuff into the VE table. However I want to make sure I'm using the right one.
    With you all that are running MTX, are you scanning in AFR or Lambda, and which histogram should you set it up with?

I setup two graphs, one for VE AFR error (watched one of our contributors on LS1TECH) and another for EQ ratio error(has a lot of Lambda related setup and math that I learned watching one of the Goat Rope Garage videos) which gives much different scans than the AFR error that is already populated in the VCM scanner menus.

I just want to make sure I'm using the right graph to copy and past data in, as the VE AFR one I first stated using only populated the top line of my graph even after a 40min drive while the other has significantly more data in it, but the numbers seem skewed or maybe I actually need to adjust the tune that much IDK yet. Ill post more when I have second to post new data logs. For ease of visibility here's my post from the other thread that has pictures and log files of what going on.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...ner-mpvi2.html
    and you point is?

so got several good runs with some decent data finally to play with. did three good runs with decent data. each got better than the other. What really helped was up the IFR up to about 76lbs/hr and i decided to double-check actual fuel pressure, come to find out, the fuel pressure gauge or sensor went to crap, cause when i went and stuck a manual gauge in the BRFPR, it was at 40psi! so I disconnected and plugged the reference line, and adjusted the pressure to 58psi, and then put the reference back on the regulator. so that made it run exceptionally better. Still getting spots of extremely rich but not nearly as often now, but WOT is still fighting me. Still got to 8psi finally on a 10lbs spring, so we are boosting, and the turbo is ridiculously responsive, nowhere near like the rear mount lol
    Is anyone willing to look them over and see if I'm on the right path?

Tune clean up adjustments after run 3 aug 13.png
    Tune clean up adjustments after run 3 IFR adjustment aug 13.png
    Tune clean up adjustments after run 3 PE and BE aug 13.png
    Tune clean up run 3 aug 13.png

Also, when I paste into the VE table, what's the preferred practice between smoothing and interpolate? I noticed that when I use interpolate in small sections. it gets rid of red sections better than just smoothing sometimes. when should I use either or?

I've attache the IFR, cars running much better with this generic rate.

PE set about 12.5 and BE is set about 11.5 with it kicking in about 120kpa.

I'm just happy I'm actually making boost, and finally seeing RPM in the 4500+ range. Still getting breakup and some kind of "wall" but it's getting better. still really rich though.
    Adjusting VE-disabled MAF- 98 TA Turbo - used SD EQ error test 3.hpt
    back to basics part 3.hpl
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 08-13-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    and you point is?

Making some progress. put my maunal boost controler backin the lowest setting. say just a bit over 10 psi. want it to control creep and what ever lag that there may be
    Latest VE table
    aug 20 latest ve.png

Snap shot of data log
    aug 20 next session with lots of data.png

Adjusting VE-disabled MAF- 98 TA Turbo back to workingtune part6 - aug 20.hpt

back to basics 6.hpl
    and you point is?

Holy crap does knowing what the colors in the VE table mean make a world of difference!!! lol
    So ive been ajusting the tune via afr error, but i notice that my idling afr was getting way up lean, like 20! and idle was taking a shit. so i learned what the colors meant, and targeted the 400-1000rpm and 15-70kpa area and added about 4% to that region and smoothed it out, and if i wasnt damned, i finally saw some real progress in tuning finally. got my idle range to between 115 to 17 afr (i know a leaner idle helps prevent load up) and my other areas got better too and now my cruising areas are +/- within 5% of targeted AFR either in Stoich or even PE. So i used the same aproach knowning that my WB is indeed good, and that certain areas are super rich, i did the same but lowered by about added -2% in the 3400-5000rpm and 175kpa region, and imfinally leaning out some in WOT pulls now. still rich in the 10.5 afr range, but its not nose diving to 9afr anymore. Holy shit its finally coming together lol
    The idle is somuch better now too,and i reset the IFR to the approiate range of 72.4 for 60lb injectors using the Semines Deka injector data page. looks like i also had it a tad too high in the 76 range.
    VE table coming along, a lot differnt now.png

making targeted ajustments now much better afr and higher rpm.png

consitantly rich at 170kpa and over 5000rpm.png

Adjusting VE-disabled MAF- 98 TA Turbo back to workingtune trying leaning up idle target 3000 r.hpt
    finallt making progress richer idel leaner 3000rpm 2.hpl
    and you point is?

well its going well so far. Commanded and actual afr are getting much closer. VE table is coming along, and the rich wall ive been hitting has now turned into a few rich backfires, which is progress lol scared the hell out of me the first lol
    riches afr uve seen now is about 10.5-7 I think. ive been specifically tuning those cells and around them by 1 to 4% depending on how rich they were. some even half a percent to sneak up on 11.7 or so for BE. cruise is a tad lean on the 16 afr side but I think this is normal. no more 18 though, holy crap that made me nervous for a while when my paste special was leaning out my idle area and cruise zones too much.

ive also boosted way more than I was expecting at 12psi and still slightly richer areas. gonna have to get a better boost controller or dial the NSX manual one back even more. if not, im gonna have to remove it or find a smaller gate spring in the 8psi range so I have more control space.
    now im fighting the rpms from shooting up to 6000rpm. not banging the rev limiter yet, but thats scaring me a tad with stock valve springs on the LS1, and the flashing stall is making it hard to figure out where it want to shift.

I need to learn more on how to tune for a 3800 stall on a built 4l60e with shift kit and c5 servo. anyone know of a direction on that, im all ears!

I think a few more datalogs for VE, and then spark tuning will be in order. Any suggestions on this?