Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004.5- 2007 48re transmission parameters are useless

Tuner in Training

2004.5- 2007 48re transmission parameters are useless

Ive been beating my head against the wall trying to tune shift points, rpms, and tc lockup. The options are there in the transmission parameters to make the changes but nothing changes when driven.

Ive seen where someone said that there are hidden parameters to unlock, which in my opinion, should be already unlocked in the tune. What good is having the basic options and then having to pay someone to unlock them???

Is hptuners fixing this or does everyone have to pay extra to a 3rd party just to use the basic tuning functions???

Im not trying to be rude, just a little upset that this hasnt been addressed. If anyone has any tips or tricks that can fix this issue without having to spend another $400 I would like to hear it.

Thanks

Banned
    Don?t want to pay then figure it out on your own. I?ve put in a lot of time to figure it out and don?t feel like handing out my time and work for free. I certainly don?t charge 400 bucks for it but there?s always the exception to charge that to the right person that just wants the gold for free.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Don?t want to pay then figure it out on your own. I?ve put in a lot of time to figure it out and don?t feel like handing out my time and work for free. I certainly don?t charge 400 bucks for it but there?s always the exception to charge that to the right person that just wants the gold for free.
    That wasnt a stab at you for all your time and dedication to helping people fix problems with tunes etc. I was referring to a local tuner who also claims to be able to bypass the issue. He said I would have to purchase user defined parameters ($200 something) then 200 for his service to make a gas pedal limiter change because it takes some other program to unlock the option. Its not the case that people worked hard to figure out how to bypass the issue, its the case that you buy a tuner and expect basic functionality then are forced to have to pay a 3rd party for it to work. I can understand if this was about drastic modification changes like changing to a different type of transmission but this is about basic tuning functionality. Wouldn't you be upset if you bought a timing light then had to get your neighbor to build a circuit board to add to it just so it works? Like i said, im not knocking on you or anyone else that figured out a way, im upset at the situation in general. Ive been tuning for years and this whole situation with dodge is ridiculous. Im at the point of just modifying my vb to a manual and wiring the internals like an old gm700r4 with weighted sensors all only being powered off of just a 12v power source. Ive owned at least 5 torqueflight 727s which were kickdown operated and shifted great under all conditions when adjusted right. Dodge went crazy when computerizing the 48re. Lol Anyways
    Hptuners for some reason hasnt fixed the issue.

Banned
    You?ve been fed bad information from the ?other?, pretty sure I know who you are talking about as there is only two people that I?m aware of that clearly know how to do it and spent months working together to figure it out and I?m one of those persons.

Banned
    There really isn?t any issue there in the ecm as far as the transmission is concerned for HP Tuners to fix. It functions as it?s programmed to function from factory. There are boundaries set within the ecm and if changes are made to the shift tables and governor tables and those changes fall outside the boundary windows, it will shift stick with what is allowed within the boundary windows. Not HP Tuners, Smarty or EFILive has everything in these ecms mapped out. Between single value parameters and tables there are 10,000+ parameters in these things and no one comes even close to having everything mapped out.

Tuner in Training
    The guy im referring to lives in Enterprise Al. About an hour away from my home. He primarily tunes gm cars but noted how he builds and tunes dodges and ford diesels. I spent an hour cussing in his driveway earlier today because he shot me a load of crap about my 0411 pcm swap on my C5 vette too.

Banned
    Different guy then, don?t know who he is. He fed bs though about you needing to spend about $200 for user defined parameters for yourself for him to do it. You do not need to purchase user defined parameters.

You aren?t too far from where I currently am. I?m in Thomasville but heading out to The other side of the country in the morning.
    Last edited by Jim P; 08-06-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Banned
    Also, the program he is likely using to get the parameters to show up in HP Tuners user defined parameters in a readable format is free, don?t even need that software if you know how to write the format the program used to create the file that brings things up in HP Tuners user defined parameters, it?s just an xml file that can be written in notepad. Thing is you need to know what you are looking for, where it?s location is and what to do with it. There is a ton of stuff I edit that isn?t mapped out by HP Tuners, Smarty or EFILive to get the transmission working the way I want it to work.

Tuner in Training
    He sold me a painless wiring adapter harness. I couldnt get my car to run no matter what changes i made in the OS or tune. Turned out that it wasnt a painless wiring harness but a home built job with several 5v reference wires mixed up. I would still be trying to get it running if it wasnt for the harness catching fire. Anyways, I ended up getting my money back. What set me off is when he also offered to give me a 50% discount on fixing my dodges tuning issue for the low low price of $400. Sorry, ive just been having a bad day

Banned
    Sounds like a hack scammer that guy. Damn, I charge just under half that for a full transmission tune setup. Just under half of that $400. Damn, $800 was what he was initially wanting to charge?
    Last edited by Jim P; 08-06-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Yes and I doubt he even would have even fixed anything. He also wanted me to leave my truck with him because of the "long process of coding". When he said the word coding, I knew that it was a scam and I wouldnt have left my vehicle with the guy anyways. I know that Iam not the smartest crayon in the box but that was ridiculous. Im probably gonna just ride my dodge stock trans tuned for a little while longer. When I get the time, Ill shoot you a pm about possibly getting you to unlock the tuning where I can make the changes.

Banned
    I can guarantee you it?s not a long process of coding...

Takes me about half an hour to do my setup of full transmission tuning on the 48RE.

Advanced Tuner
    Jim, once you work your magic, are the parameters available to the end user for adjustment? Or would that require user defined parameters?
    Or do you simply raise/adjust the limits so that the parameters that are available will be effective?
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Banned
    Nothing is visible beyond what you currently see in HP Tuners. I have my setup files I created to allow me to see things. I adjust a lot of timers, shift lag adjustments and thresholds that allow the ecm to follow the tables you see in HP Tuners spot on to whatever is set in them.

Advanced Tuner
    What do you charge for this and is it availbable for the 545RFE trans as well?
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Banned
    The 48RE I charge out $175 for my time on it. The RFE transmissions are a much more complex animal but I can work some magic on them including turning off part lock upshifts, I would need a tune file specific to the vehicle in question to dig through and it would take me some time to do.

PM me on what you are looking for on the 545RFE and we can work something out.
    Last edited by Jim P; 08-07-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Jim! I am currently working on some other things but I will get with you when the time comes.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jim,
    I'm willing to pay for an 04 Ram 1500 transmission tune with the 545RFE. This thing is driving my crazy, it's always up shifting at the worst time and making me lug the engine everywhere I go. I have to literally put the pedal all the way down to the floor to get it to lower the gears and at that point it way overshoots the speed I'm trying to go. I've tried changing shift points but nothing seems to help.

I would appreciate anything you could do to assist.

Mark

Banned
    Would need to see the tune to even know if there would be much I could do

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jim,
    Appreciate your response, please see the attached tune for you to have a look at.

Mark
    Attached Files Attached Files