Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004.5- 2007 48re transmission parameters are useless

Banned
    I could likely do something for you. What transmission parameters can you datalog?

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jim,
    Unfortunately not many - I cant even log what gear I'm in. See below image for TCM scan options.

Untitled.jpg

Banned
    That sucks. The engineers at HP Tuners also messed up the throttle axis for the shift tables they show in the tune file. If the shift tables shown in your tune file makes zero differences when changed, it?ll be a pain in the butt to pin pin down the correct tables as there?s like 80 other possible tables in there. Also see what looks like the shift duty cycle tables, a possible time slip-to-surface table and possibly lockup schedules.

I have no possible way of testing and verifying though.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jim,
    I have been able to make changes to the following tables shown below with success.

ee.jpg

Banned
    That Hot 4-4? and 4?-4 tables would be the 4 to 4prime and 4prime to 4 shift tables or 5-6 upshift and 6-5 downshift would be another name for it. Not sure if your model year would have a 2prime gear or not. I think in the 545RFE, 2prime is used as the kickdown gear. An in between gear of gears 2 and 3 or as I think of it, as between gears 2 and 4. In transmissions that have the option of turn on/off the 2-3 skip shift, it enables/disables 2prime to be used as a 3rd gear.

I look at it as:
    Gear 1 = Gear 1
    Gear 2 = Gear 2
    Gear 2prime = Gear 3
    Gear 3 = Gear 4
    Gear 4 = Gear 5
    Gear 4prime = Gear 6

Tuner in Training
    Hey Jim,
    This question is going to show how little I understand but here goes - Is torque converter lockup in these tables at all or is that set in the unit itself, or maybe it doesn't ever lockup?

Banned
    Lockup tables aren?t shown. I?m not very familiar with the 545RFE but I think I may have found lockup tables in the coding.

Banned
    Try this and see if you notice any difference on how the shifts feel. You'll need to use Beta version of the VCM Suite.
    Last edited by Jim P; 12-23-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jim,
    I've recently had my transmission rebuilt and the oil pressure was raised in the transmission - the guy that did the work told me not to change the pressures in the program as it may damage the transmission since the pressure is being "fooled"

Can you tell me if any of that was changed before I flash this file.

Thanks Jim

Banned
    No pressures changed, just a slight bump up in what I believe to be the shift duty cycle tables. If correct it should give a slight increase in shift firmness.

Banned
    Shift duty cycle basically controls how quickly the clutches fill and affects the hand-off time between the clutches. Just go light with it and see if you notice any difference.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jim,
    I had made a few changes to my tune after I sent you the file and the attached is what you sent me with those changes. I installed the latest beta and did the "write entire" to both the ECM and TCM. I drove around for a bit and honestly couldn't tell any difference in the shift firmness - hard to tell if anything changed.

Thanks Jim
    Mark Norris
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    It was fairly light the changes I made if the tables I adjusted are what I think they are, it probably wouldn?t be super noticeable unless at like a medium/heavy throttle. The tables I adjusted bear really near identical looks to the shift duty cycle tables of the other RFE transmissions. I could make it more aggressive if you like to try and see.

Tuner in Training
    That would be awesome Jim, much appreciated. If you can make the changes- would you mind making them to the most recent file I sent to you.

Thanks Jim
    Mark

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jim,
    I have 2 questions slightly off topic -

1 - Can you tell me if you know why after my shifts my engine goes extremely lean as shown in the below image. (circled in yellow)
    2 - Do you know why my "load %" is saying it's 100% near my shifts also. (circled in yellow)

2234.jpg

Thank you

Banned
    1 - torque management fuel cut for the shift

2 - look at your %load and your MAP, notice how they are nearly the same? Load is based around MAP

Tuner in Training
    1 - Is it possible for me to change "torque management fuel cut for the shift". Prior to changing my supercharger pulley and raising the boost it used to peel out during shifts.

2 - I see the %load in the VCM scanner peaks out at 100% when the MAP is at ~140kPa. Where in the VCM editor is this relationship.

Appreciate all your help.

Mark Norris

Banned
    Likely can turn off the shift torque management, don?t know where though.

Think you misunderstood on the relationship between %load and MAP. What is calculated as %load is a function of MAP sensor values so the value of what you see for %load in the datalogs are directly correlated to the what the MAP sensor is reading. At least that?s what I see from the datalog. I?m not much of a gas engine person, my knowledge lies with the Cummins engine and engine load on those engines is nothing more than the percentage of max fueling or max torque limit for the air density table the ECM is running off of and the current RPM. Engine load is derived differently in gas engine applications.

MAP is a legit reading of real pressure/vacuum, engine load is just a theoretical calculated value based on certain criteria. When I look at that datalog I see load following pretty much exactly doing what the MAP sensor is doing.
    Last edited by Jim P; 12-24-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jim,
    How can someone see the additional tables you refer to. How can I "open the hood" and check out the .hpt file contents.

Had to ask

Thanks Jim

Banned
    You don?t as you put it, open up the hood of the .hpt file contents.