Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.0 swap. .hpl file. Does it look alright

Tuner in Training

6.0 swap. .hpl file. Does it look alright

Not sure if i did it right but got it to where itll idle except when ac is on. Not sure if u can tell by this file
    Attached Files Attached Files

The log says it's lean based on the fuel trims.

Check that you have the injector data right for the 6.0 injectors and that your fuel pressure is within spec. As well as having no vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. The exhaust must also be complete, no open headers.

Something seems screwy with the MAP too, it tops out at over 100kpa at hardly any rpm sometimes and the timing advanced goes negative.

The log it missing lots of data. No throttle position, no injector pulse width, commanded AFR, cylinder airmass or o2 sensor stuff.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 08-08-2020 at 06:31 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The log says it's lean based on the fuel trims.

Check that you have the injector data right for the 6.0 injectors and that your fuel pressure is within spec. As well as having no vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. The exhaust must also be complete, no open headers.

Something seems screwy with the MAP too, it tops out at over 100kpa at hardly any rpm sometimes and the timing advanced goes negative.

The log it missing lots of data. No throttle position, no injector pulse width, commanded AFR, cylinder airmass or o2 sensor stuff.
    Im still running stock manifolds with stock cats and flowmaster flow fx.
    Fuel pressure is at spec... Im new to tuning so not sure how to dial in for the injectors. Also how do i add full date to logging?

Break down your swap for us.

What did you do and what parts did you use?

It went from a 4.8 to a 6.0 but what did you keep or not keep from the 4.8?

Did you use the 6.0 injectors or did you keep the 4.8 injectors? (4.8 injectors are too small just so you know)

You need to post your tune file as well.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    99 silverado 2wd was 4.8 now 02 6.0 with small cam (.523 lift exh and int, ad dur. Int 279 and exh 288 112 lobe).i have the 6.0 injectors but Im currently using the 4.8 intake and 4.8 injectors(read somewhere 4.8-6.0 use same injectors) but guess not..
    Here is the tune i have so far. Remember im new to this lol

The 4.8 in 1999 used smaller injectors than the 5.3 and 6.0. In 2000 they all used the same size injectors. You will need the 6.0 injectors for sure and maybe even larger if you run out of fuel.

Find a stock 6.0 tune and copy over the MAF data and both VE tables. Fine a 1999/2000 6.0 calibration that has both VE tables. Do that and swap to the 6.0 injectors and copy the data over for those too. Injector flow rate, short pulse adder, min injector pulse and offset data.

Once all that is good see how it runs. If it's still lean you should look at why that is, be it a vacuum leak/exhaust leak or low fuel pressure. A small camshaft should not make it push the long term fuel trims to +25%.

Tuner in Training
    The 4.8 in 1999 used smaller injectors than the 5.3 and 6.0. In 2000 they all used the same size injectors. You will need the 6.0 injectors for sure and maybe even larger if you run out of fuel.

Find a stock 6.0 tune and copy over the MAF data and both VE tables. Fine a 1999/2000 6.0 calibration that has both VE tables. Do that and swap to the 6.0 injectors and copy the data over for those too. Injector flow rate, short pulse adder, min injector pulse and offset data.

Once all that is good see how it runs. If it's still lean you should look at why that is, be it a vacuum leak/exhaust leak or low fuel pressure. A small camshaft should not make it push the long term fuel trims to +25%.
    I copied a 99 2500hd 6.0 stock tune over and it was all most the same as running on the stock 4.8 tune and wouldnt stay running. Thats why i copied the tables from a custom tune.
    But ill copy the stock 6.0 tune tomorrow. Do i copy every single table from the 6.0 file or just certain ones?

Il

All I wanted you to copy over was the MAF/VE and injector settings. Not the entire 6.0 tune.

But if it can't run on a stock tune then something is seriously wrong. You are running a small camshaft upgrade with stock exhaust manifolds and stock cats.

Tuner in Training
    Copied all the engine-airflow-general over
    And everything from engine-fuel-general

Tuner in Training
    ok.. have all the tables copied from a stock 6.0 file to my tune.only have about 2 min of log before my laptop shut off.also have the 6.0 injectors swapped on... anything i need to do now? is it better then i had before?
    5FDP thanks alot for your help,I really appreciate it....

Tuner in Training
    heres the new log...didnt get a chance to turn ac on,i have a leak im fixing.

Tuner in Training
    new idle with ac fixed and on and short drive.no idle surge but has a stumble upon acceleration slowly

There is still some sort of massive vacuum leak or exhaust leak. The fuel trims are still pegged at +25%.

Spray some brake cleaner or something around the intake and see if the idle changes and the fuel trims change to a lower number.

Fuel pressure is at 58psi??

Tuner in Training
    There is still some sort of massive vacuum leak or exhaust leak. The fuel trims are still pegged at +25%.

Spray some brake cleaner or something around the intake and see if the idle changes and the fuel trims change to a lower number.

Fuel pressure is at 58psi??
    I was told i should dial in my ve tables then i should be allset.?????
    If i get a mail order tune from someone who does hp tuners will i still have to dial in my ve tables

Tuner in Training
    I do have a slight exhaust leak on the drivers side manifold to ypipe but its very faint and goes away when warmed up

I'm trying to help you here.

You've told us that this swap is a very bare bones swap with many stock parts. If you are still using the factory intake manifold, factory exhaust manifolds and factory stock cats, how in the world could the fueling be this far off with just a camshaft change?

That is a relatively small camshaft and not a super choppy cam that shakes your teeth out. The airflow model wouldn't be thrown this far out of whack to require over 25% more fuel just to stay running. This is why I'm saying something else must be wrong. Be it a intake leak at the MAF sensor, at the throttle body, the intake gaskets or even the exhaust gaskets before the o2 sensors. Or fuel pressure is way low compared to what it needs to be.

Just tuning the VE is not going to fix this. If someone just added 25% worth of fuel to the MAF and VE to correct for this, they'd be doing it all wrong.

Tuner in Training

You've told us that this swap is a very bare bones swap with many stock parts. If you are still using the factory intake manifold, factory exhaust manifolds and factory stock cats, how in the world could the fueling be this far off with just a camshaft change?

That is a relatively small camshaft and not a super choppy cam that shakes your teeth out. The airflow model wouldn't be thrown this far out of whack to require over 25% more fuel just to stay running. This is why I'm saying something else must be wrong. Be it a intake leak at the MAF sensor, at the throttle body, the intake gaskets or even the exhaust gaskets before the o2 sensors. Or fuel pressure is way low compared to what it needs to be.

Just tuning the VE is not going to fix this. If someone just added 25% worth of fuel to the MAF and VE to correct for this, they'd be doing it all wrong.
    I am going to check fuel pressure tomorrow.im also going to get some brake cleaner to spray around the throttle body and intake manifold..
    I have a cold air intake,is it safe to spray around the maf too?

Tuner in Training

And i do really appreciate your help. Im just trying to get as much input as i can...

Tuner in Training
    52 psi koeo. 50-51psi engine at idle. Jumps to 58 psi whel vac line unplugged. Drops to 46psi when accelerating

Tuner in Training
    Not sure if that pressure is low enough to cause my issues but i fixed the exhaust leak.still the same.seems like today the idle is lower then yesturday.cold start i had to gas it for a few min and every time i start it i have to gas it a little to get it idling. But i tried the brake cleaner and idle really didnt chage that much so i took the intake off to inspect the gaskets and i noticed that it looks like someone tried to clean the gasket surface with a wire brush and left little lines in it.
    So the gaskets checked out good so i put some rtv on just the intake so the gasket will seal better..let it dry now...
    You think that could have been the issue or i need a new pump... Also changed the fpr with the one that was on the 4.8 and no change in pressure