Thread: HUMMER H2 Misfire

Tuner in Training

HUMMER H2 Misfire

Hello Everyone, I have an issue with my H2 for the past 3 years.

On a cold start its smooth and perfect but when the engine temp. goes above 95c a random misfire starts on idle, no other issues at all.

Previously i had a short in the engine harness causing the engine to stall under random conditions. i got this sorted out and the vehicle doesn't stall anymore and works normally except for the misfire which can be felt when engine shakes.

Before knowing that there is a short in the harness i have replcaed the following parts with new ones:

1- MAF
    2- Alternator
    3- Fuel Pump (3 Times)
    4- Fuel Pedal assembly
    5- Throttle Body and gasket
    6- ECU
    7- Crankshaft sensor
    8- Spark Plugs and Wires
    9- Two coils
    10- A\C clutch
    11- MAP
    12- Manifold gasket
    13- Fixed Hydrolic steering oil leakage
    14- Intake filter with heat resistant straight tube

After fixing the short i replaced the following:

1- MAF
    2- Battery
    3- Cleaned Grounds
    4- ECU with stock tune
    5- A\C internal fan
    6- A\C fan controller
    7- Tranny filter and gasket
    8- Tranny cooler

and nothing has changed, it still misfires and shakes on idle.

Note: I live in the middle east in one of the highest temp countries in the world(Kuwait).

I have ran some scans but due to my limited knoweledge i have no idea what is wrong.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.8Aug2020 5PM Hummer H2 Log.hpl9Aug2020 Humer H2 730PM.hpl9Aug2020 Humer H2 815PM.hpl9Aug2020 Humer H2 820PM.hpl

What plug gap are you running?

Is there any way to lower those intake temps, it surely isn't good to see 180-190F degree intake temps. I know it's very hot there but even if it was 10-20 degrees over ambient that would be better.

What about upping the rpm at idle by 100-150rpm?

And how come you aren't running o2 sensors?? It's hard to know what the fueling is like at idle when it misfires without those or a wideband o2 sensor in the logs.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    What plug gap are you running?

Is there any way to lower those intake temps, it surely isn't good to see 180-190F degree intake temps. I know it's very hot there but even if it was 10-20 degrees over ambient that would be better.

What about upping the rpm at idle by 100-150rpm?

And how come you aren't running o2 sensors?? It's hard to know what the fueling is like at idle when it misfires without those or a wideband o2 sensor in the logs.
    Thank you for your reply.

I have no idea about plug gap, how to check on that?

Regarding the O2 sensors, all of the 4 are disconnected and I have used the following to disable in ecu:

Engine > Fuel > COT, Lean Cruise
    COT: set to "Disabled"

Engine Diag > DTC's
    P0137: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    P0138: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    P0140: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    P0141: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    Po157: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    P0157: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    P0158: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    P0160: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    P0161: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    P0420: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"
    P0430: uncheck "SES Enable", set to "3 No error reported"

If you need any specific reading please let me know

Thanks again for your support

A large plug gap could cause misfire. It should be around a .040 when you check the spark plugs with a gap tool.

Is there a reason you are running open loop without o2 sensors??

Without o2 sensors you'd have to be using a wideband o2 sensor in the exhaust to make sure the air fuel ratio's are staying okay.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    A large plug gap could cause misfire. It should be around a .040 when you check the spark plugs with a gap tool.

Without o2 sensors you'd have to be using a wideband o2 sensor in the exhaust to make sure the air fuel ratio's are staying okay.

Thanks again for your reply.

I should get the gap tool.

I disabled the Pre Cat O2 sensors because at the time of having the short causing the engine to stall a technician thought that they are causing the stalling so we just unplugged the 2 pre-cat sensors and because I deleted the cats I also unplugged the 2 post cat sensors

I have plugged the pre-cat sensors again after seeing your post and once the car warmed up I started getting hesitation on acceleration, almost stalling, the car shakes and I can see the front lights and dashboard lights flickering, after turning off the engine for like 40 minutes it started up normally then after driving a bit it started shaking again.

Do you think I shall unplug them again? purchase new ones? or there might be an issue with their wiring? if there are any specific readings that can help, please let me know so I scan it with VCM but I don't know which channels exactly I shall add in VCM scanner.

I appreciate your support.