Thread: 69 Chevy K10 with 03 5.3 and 4l60e

Potential Tuner

69 Chevy K10 with 03 5.3 and 4l60e

I have a 1969 K10 with a 2003 4.8 or 5.3 LS, 4l60e Trany and 205 Transfer . While trying to figure out the Transmission shift setting,I pulled the information from the ODBII connector using HP Tuners. That's when I saw the ECU has been programmed for a 6.0. I also have a 2002 Chevy Z71 with a 5.3 LS .
    I said all of that to ask this : Is it okay to pull the program from the 02 and download it to the 03 ? They have the same gears, I would have to change the tire size.
    Any information regarding this would be great.
    Thanks.

2002 and 2003 Silveardo use different computers, so you couldn't do that.

A 2002 uses a P01 and a 2003 used a P59 computer.

If you want to copy a 5.3 tune into your computer you need to find a 2003 5.3 file to use. Then open your tune and the 5.3 file as the compare file using the compare feature. Click compare again at the top and click view comparison log. Collapse all the boxes and right click the engine icon, copy over the 5.3 engine tune into you file. Simple as that.

Never write someone else's file into your computer, you could brick it or cost yourself a ton of money in credits.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    2002 and 2003 Silveardo use different computers, so you couldn't do that.

A 2002 uses a P01 and a 2003 used a P59 computer.

If you want to copy a 5.3 tune into your computer you need to find a 2003 5.3 file to use. Then open your tune and the 5.3 file as the compare file using the compare feature. Click compare again at the top and click view comparison log. Collapse all the boxes and right click the engine icon, copy over the 5.3 engine tune into you file. Simple as that.

Never write someone else's file into your computer, you could brick it or cost yourself a ton of money in credits.

Thanks, Good information .

Potential Tuner
    Does changing the engine type from 6.0 to 5.3 change anything else in the program ? I'm still trying to figure out the transmission setting .

Thanks.

No, not really. The cylinder volume is what matters, that is telling the computer how large the engine is.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I guess I could manually enter the transmission differences between the 02 and 03 . I would think the biggest difference would be the weight of the vehicles. The 02 is and Extended cab Z71, while the 03 (69) is a short wheel base step side .
    If the program in the 03 (69) is truly from a 6.0, then the torques would be quite a bit different .
    Your thoughts ?

If both computers are using a 4L60e, I don't know if I'd even take the time to make it the same. They can't be that much different. I'd just make the transmission settings to my liking and go from there.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm new to HP Tuners software but it seems powerful enough to get me in trouble .
    What got me looking at this in the first place is once I get over 45 mph, I've noticed my rpms jumping if I relax the accelerator peddle. I.m wondering if because the ECU was programmed for a 6.0, are the torque, speed and rpm settings for the transmission causing this problem ?

Thanks.

I have no idea without seeing the tune file.

People change the engine side of the tune all the time for a 4.8/5.3 etc etc and the transmission should shift the same so long as nothing was touched in those settings.

Tire size and gear ratio settings are a major factor in how the transmission operates and so does misfires. If there are misfires it can cause the torque converter to stop locking up.