Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boosted corvette tuning help

Tuner in Training
    I did notice tho when pulling my plugs some of the straps were more discolors than others, overall do you see anything to be concerned of on these? they have been in for 500 miles or so

IMG_5086.jpgIMG_5087.jpgIMG_5088.jpgIMG_5089.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Yall are some gangsta'S!

alcohol and water have a cleaning effect. The most important thing is that there is no melting, no flakes of piston, no small fragments or slivers of aluminum present, and that the ring is nice and dark/sooty, even among the plugs. Inconsistencies are alarming- maybe swap a fresh set of plugs and reduce the power to get a consistent set of plug colorations going. Your goal as a diagnostician is to produce consistent results from all cylinders, even if it means turning down the power for now.

Tuner in Training
    Alright, the 2 plugs with the white on the straps are 7 & 8 ans i currently have the rear vents blocked but will be putting a vent kit on it

oh boy. that is interesting.
    Another thing to consider is the discoloration and inconsistent results could be in part due to the low speed operation out of boost. huge injectors and poorly timed injections (into an open intake valve) can cause washing/cleaning effects of the plugs and cylinder wall. make sure you are not injecting into an open intake valve at low RPM with the alcohol fuels. If you install a fresh set of plugs and just drive the engine normal for a while, 200 to 500 miles with NO or very little boost. Then check the plugs. It will tell you whether what you are seeing is due to the idle/cruise operation conditions. You should really rule that out and it doesn't cost much.

The kind of power you are making (1000bhp) is the sort of thing you need to sneak up on over time. Run it at half power, check the plugs, water, oil, the pressure test, et.c.. check everything. Then turn it up bit by bit and keep checking all those little things. Once you start to notice inconsistencies or small issues you can catch the problem before it becomes too big to handle. Starting out with full power makes it impossible to tell what is causing what- it may be a plethora of issues all combined.
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 08-13-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I mean I did sneak kinda up on it, I was at 660-800 and now 1000

I’ll be on vacay for the next week so I’ll continue this when I get back!

Quote Originally Posted by HateWhatOwnsYou View Post
    I mean I did sneak kinda up on it, I was at 660-800 and now 1000

I’ll be on vacay for the next week so I’ll continue this when I get back!

Ok so how did the plugs look at 600? and then 800?

It doesn't count if you don't keep records