Thread: 2017 coyote whipple charger tune 40 percent throttle

Tuner in Training

2017 coyote whipple charger tune 40 percent throttle

I have a 2017 coyote here with a whipple charger kit fitted including their tune. once its warmed up, i open the throttle, pedal position shows 100% the throttle opened to 90% for about a second, then 20%. if i do a 5th gear pull on the dyno it gives 20%at 2000rpm and max of 40% at 6500. (lambda 0.8,around 20deg timing and a -1 every now and again on knock retard) and no matter what i do i cant get more throttle... unless you swich off for a hour or so, or load a tune you wont see the 90% for a second again. i looked at mapping points and changed target toque tables and inverse, lifted all desired torques and limiters including the trans torque limits, but nothing changes the power or throttle opening. if i do a power run i see 600 odd nm for that 1sec and then it drops to 450nm as the throttle closes.
    i will link the uploaded original whipple tune, maybe someone could have a look and send me in a direction.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    posting a log with Torque source, spark source, throttle angle source, driver demand, fuel source, injector duty cycle, and torque air limit source would be helpful. Also do you have all of the Whipple flare tool limits off? not sure if those are still active after using MVPI2 to alter the tune.

Tuner in Training
    many thanks relentless, i read about source logs last night, will post log with specific tables. also i tried switching what i could find out about the whipple flare limits off, not sure i know them or got them all.... thanks so far.....

Tuner in Training

Red face log

Hi Relentless.

attached is a log with the data you asked for. The tune on the car in the log you will see is different with the torque targets etc lifted from the original upload file i posted. if you need me to post this tune file i will, but it is a tune file where i just add 30% to the torque and inverse tables and switch all limits off, i changed anything i could think that would cause the throttle to close just to try find something that makes a change to the throttle position.... so its not a great file to leave on the car, once i find the source closing the throttle, i will work again from the original file only switching of limits where necessary and tune where needed. i hope you understand what i mean by this.

If you look at 8:33:17- 8:33:18 you will see 97%throttle then drops to 42% still with 100% pedal position
    then at 8:33:36 you will see 42% dropping to 22%, and then at 8:34:00 you see i just get 17% all at around 2000-2500rpm. on the 8:34 run i pulled 5th gear through on the dyno from 2000rpmto 6000rpm to show you a max throttle angle of 39%.

from now i will never see more than the 20% at 2000 again untill i switch off for a while, or load a file.... then i get the 90% fora second or so again.

one other interesting fact is that if i overlay this whipple car graph over a tuned NA one, the graphs are a mirror image on the torque curves.... so definitely something is still targeting the same torque as the N/A one.... but i don't know what.......

thanks again for your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

your calibration is missing a lot of tables, send it into support.

Quote Originally Posted by HMahnke View Post
    I have a 2017 coyote here with a whipple charger kit fitted including their tune. once its warmed up, i open the throttle, pedal position shows 100% the throttle opened to 90% for about a second, then 20%. if i do a 5th gear pull on the dyno it gives 20%at 2000rpm and max of 40% at 6500. (lambda 0.8,around 20deg timing and a -1 every now and again on knock retard) and no matter what i do i cant get more throttle... unless you swich off for a hour or so, or load a tune you wont see the 90% for a second again. i looked at mapping points and changed target toque tables and inverse, lifted all desired torques and limiters including the trans torque limits, but nothing changes the power or throttle opening. if i do a power run i see 600 odd nm for that 1sec and then it drops to 450nm as the throttle closes.
    i will link the uploaded original whipple tune, maybe someone could have a look and send me in a direction.
    Your whipple file needs to be patched by hptuners.

Whipples security can't be tuned around, send your read to support so they can patch it for you.
    Last edited by LastPlace; 08-18-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Tuner in Training
    thanks guys, thats great news, light at the end of the tunnel...

Indeed, if you read then re-write the Whipple tune and it is not yet set to auto-patch, it will revert to low throttle. It's a built-in security feature Whipple uses.

I had to send mine in as well to be patched. Once they get it added in, when you read the tune out it will auto patch it and start a re-write, after that you are good to go.

Until then, you're stuck as far as I know unless you ditch the Whipple tune alltogether.

I personally love the Whipple tune. Been running it for over a year now with great strip and dyno results, seems very safe and solid on my '17.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Also, you will have no real loggable pids as stated. Once it's patched, it opens up everything.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Whipple cal is , well a shit show.