Thread: Ngc - baud rate: Timed out ?

Advanced Tuner

Ngc - baud rate: Timed out ?

Trying to read a 2003 Durango 4.7 with an NGC but I get BAUD RATE: TIMED OUT and FAILED when I try to read it.

Editor thinks it's a JTEC+ but it has 4 plugs and it's a Huntsville NGC PCM. I ran into a 2002 Motorola NGC PCM before this that had a different issue and wouldn't read. I assumed the 2002 was an NGC1?

Any ideas? Confirmed good WIFI and vehicle voltage. Tried my MPVI2 and MPVI, no dice. Scanner connects, reads codes, clears and logs with minimal channels.

Waiting on day 2 of support ticket... sent infolog, license.dat and debug file on original request.

If this is another un-suported application, is there a way to get a list of the supported NGC controller OS #s so I can quit wasting my time?

timed out.jpg
    Last edited by spoolboy; 08-12-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    if its using an oddball ecm its likely not a supported vehicle as notated on our supported vehicle list.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    So what is the window where these vehicles are unsupported?

The supported vehicle list says

"3Note: Some PT Cruiser GT, Neon SRT-4, and early 2000s Dodge Ram/Dodge Durango applications use an NGC1 ecm which are not supported, verify what ecm your vehicle uses before ordering."

How do we verify what ECM our vehicle uses?

This 2003 appears to be a normal NGC3. The 2002 was probably an NGC1, but I'm not sure. It did appear different and was made by Motorola.

Potential Tuner
    I have the exact same issue. 2003 4.7L Durango. I upgraded to the new interface specifically because it said the 03' Durango was supported. Shortly after contacting support, the website was updated to include the "early 2000s Dodge Ram/Dodge Durango applications use an NGC1" statement. The PT Cruiser GT, Neon SRT-4 part of the disclaimer was already there, but nothing about the Durango.

I'm going to try a PCM from an 04' 4.7 Durango which is most likely NGC3. I have not found a way to tell NGC1 vs NGC3 based on the model #, but for $30 at LKQ, what the hell. Will post an update once complete.

Potential Tuner
    Any update on this issue? I also have a 2003 Durango with the 4.7l and got the same error of baud rate timed out. I am using the latest Beta with a good internet connection. Really would like to be able to tune this.

Potential Tuner
    Update - When through submitting a ticket with pictures, infolog, debug file and was confirmed that this is in fact an NGC1 and so therefore not supported at this time. Mine won't likely be around by the time (if ever) these are made available. Oh well. On to another vehicle.

Tuner in Training
    I Just found myself struggling with this same issue before reading the fine print under the supported vehicles list... I grabbed a NGC3 for an '05 (verified all my connector pinouts), programed VIN and Mileage with a J2534 and will use that. I'm under the assumption all NGC equipped vehicles used a 32 tooth 4.7l engine.

I have 3 of the 56029124AA/56029124AC PCMs if anyone needs one, I can program VIN, Mileage and make it SKIM ready before mailing. I can't tune the damned thing though.... They're even a big pain to flash with Chyrslers MicropodII so I can see why HPT didn't waste their time on such an obscure PCM that is so easily replaced with an NGC3, 4 or 5.
    Last edited by porter84; 02-09-2021 at 12:06 PM.

Potential Tuner
    @porter84 - That's a good idea. I think I'll add that to my list of things to grab next time I visit the junk yard. I was thinking the reluctor change happened after 2003 but I just looked further into it and it seems the jump from 16 tooth to 32 tooth happened in 2002.5 with the switch from JTEC to NGC. Thanks for the idea. When I get one and give it a try, I'll report back.

Advanced Tuner
    For anyone simply trying to swap to a newer "supported" NGC3 or later PCM, you'll likely have an issue with the number of oxygen sensors in your harness and oil pressure readings. There most likely are other issues as well. Good luck!
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.