Thread: Inline TCM for Gen IV 5.3 with Manual Trans

Potential Tuner

Inline TCM for Gen IV 5.3 with Manual Trans

After fighting with a VVT Truck tune on a Camaro PCM, I've decided to go back to the stock Silverado PCM, which leaves me with the dreaded 158 mph. Based on the other posts on this forum, it seems like the only way to solve this is to wire in an inline TCM to properly convert the VSS signal for the Truck ECM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post
    I had a similar issue with a late 2007 LH6 from a Silverado (E38) swapped into and RX-7 with a T56. I had to keep the TCM and run the VSS wires through it to get a good signal. All that the TCM needed was the VSS in and out AND power and ground. No PND switch or anything else needed.
    Looking for help with the proper wiring from those who did this already. Reading the wiring schematic, this is what I've come up with, but I'd like to have someone double check my work. See attached picture below (might have to click to make bigger).

Attachment 102283
    Last edited by gofortyeight; 09-17-2020 at 04:39 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    In a Gen 4 automatic to manual transmission conversion, it is the SAE VSS PID that gets stuck at the maximum speed - the E38 VSS DMA PID reads correctly.

Adding a TCM has been the solution for some people. However, a Truck E38 calibration can be configured to correctly interpret speed from a manual transmission VSS - no add on TCM required.

The E38 parameters that need to be adjusted are outside of those available in any tuning software - user defined software required.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    In a Gen 4 automatic to manual transmission conversion, it is the SAE VSS PID that gets stuck at the maximum speed - the E38 VSS DMA PID reads correctly.

Adding a TCM has been the solution for some people. However, a Truck E38 calibration can be configured to correctly interpret speed from a manual transmission VSS - no add on TCM required.

The E38 parameters that need to be adjusted are outside of those available in any tuning software - user defined software required.
    Any more info on this, or where to find the user defined parameters? Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post

Can the T56 reverse lockout solenoid be made to work also ? Know anyone who knows how to do this to a tune ?