Thread: P59 do i just keep adding to the VE table ?

Tuner in Training

P59 do i just keep adding to the VE table ?

speed density setup
    325ci to 408
    102mm throttle body
    holley hi ram
    222/231 .602/.598 112+4
    LS3 heads
    80lbs injectors
    76mm turbo

chevy truck idle 1.hplchevy truck idle 2.hplrace truck ready to start VE table adjustments base idle.hpt

I adjusted idle airflow minimum, idle spark advance, throttle cracker, throttle follower, idle stability controls and possibly a couple others but the only thing that got the truck to stay idling was by adding to the VE table. I have gotten the truck to idle with an occasional dip and stall out but for the most part she idles. I however cannot get the truck to do anything in gear or especially under load. Do I continue to add to the VE table and watch the LTFT'S?

It's not in speed density. Tune file has none of the changes required to put it in SD. The log file has no current DTCs for the MAF.

You need a wideband. I wouldn't trust much of what the o2 sensors say right now. You've change way to much for them to be that accurate and besides fuel trims will not do you any good for tuning under a decent amount of load.

As said, this tune is not put into speed density right either. The MAF fail high needs to be set to 0hz and all 3 MAF dtc's need to be set to MIL on first error.

Your MAP data seems wrong too. When the engine died at the end of one of the logs the KPA went straight to 105kpa but it's going to be higher than that because the wrong MAP channel is being logged. Remove the 1 bar channel and replace it with the 3 bar channel. Make sure the MAP linear and offset settings are correct for your sensor.

And PE and BE aren't setup right either. The enable settings need changes and the commanded fueling is way way way too rich.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You need a wideband. I wouldn't trust much of what the o2 sensors say right now. You've change way to much for them to be that accurate and besides fuel trims will not do you any good for tuning under a decent amount of load.

As said, this tune is not put into speed density right either. The MAF fail high needs to be set to 0hz and all 3 MAF dtc's need to be set to MIL on first error.

Your MAP data seems wrong too. When the engine died at the end of one of the logs the KPA went straight to 105kpa but it's going to be higher than that because the wrong MAP channel is being logged. Remove the 1 bar channel and replace it with the 3 bar channel. Make sure the MAP linear and offset settings are correct for your sensor.

And PE and BE aren't setup right either. The enable settings need changes and the commanded fueling is way way way too rich.
    I set the MAF to 0hz and put the 3 dtc's to MIL on first error. I added the 3 bar channel as well. I changed the MAP linear and offset settings to something I found online but I changed it back because I didnt trust the site. I dont know what I was doing with the PE and BE enchrichment, I changed those as well.
    The vehicle will not run longer than a few seconds and I could smell fuel. I watched my wideband and it was telling me my mixture was rich so I backed my VE table down 10. I did this 2 times and the vehicle would idle but after maybe a minute it would die again. I tried to give it some gas and noticed I had nothing out of my electronic throttle. On the VCM scanner it read 22 percent open and the dtc P1514 airflow to TP sensor correlation high. This is new to me and I am curious as to why the vehicle runs worse now and not even at all after I made these changes

.race truck ready to start VE table adjustments base idle.hpttruck idle 1.hpl

What MAP sensor did you buy?

With the correct settings it should read 100kpa with the key on engine off and obviously less if you live in the mountains.

The PE settings need more changing. The MAP kpa enable for PE should be 90kpa and the boost enrichment KPA should be 110kpa or so.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    What MAP sensor did you buy?

With the correct settings it should read 100kpa with the key on engine off and obviously less if you live in the mountains.

The PE settings need more changing. The MAP kpa enable for PE should be 90kpa and the boost enrichment KPA should be 110kpa or so.
    It?s a gm map sensor part number 12592525
    I don?t know what happened in a 24 hour period where I could get the vehicle to almost drive and now I have that code P1514 and it says reduced engine power on the dash and no throttle response, it?s a nick williams so I don?t think the throttle body itself is bad

Tuner in Training
    I found the section where I can change calculated airmass for the TPS next to the MAF fail frequency, I x2 the whole graph and the vehicle ran for a bit longer and better until I again caused the error again and had no throttle, I never knew to adjust this table, is this right?

The settings are 312.5 and -11.25 for that sensor.

Tuner in Training
    The settings are 312.5 and -11.25 for that sensor.
    I appreciate any help, what is your opinion on this calculated air mass issue I?m having now, do I just keep increasing the values until I no longer set the code?

Yeah, some just max the table out too.

Senior Tuner
    I still trust the narrow bands to get the car running. I don't trust the calibration, and the feedback loops don't know any better, although it does indicate CL-Fault and you should never trust FT's in OL or when there's a CL fault. Looking at your bank 1 vs bank 2 O2 sensor voltages, its indicating bank one is going lean compared to bank two voltages. Injectors banks indicate near the same pulse width. Fuel trims indicate they are pulling more fuel out of bank 1, but its probably not what it should be doing with the tune in its infancy and VE probably being quite far off. When I see this it indicates a spark plug or two are not working or injectors not opening on bank 1.

First
    Disable STFT in open loop ECM 231 and you'll feel more in control rather than FT's fighting you when you add add add.

Are you running gasoline E10, E85, or some middle ground between the two?
    Last edited by murfie; 08-16-2020 at 06:23 AM.