Thread: 411 pcm on tuned port with 2002 express van tune PROBLEM WITH SPEED OUT

Potential Tuner

411 pcm on tuned port with 2002 express van tune PROBLEM WITH SPEED OUT

Hi all I just completed a swap of a 1999 vortec5.7 with distributor and a tuned port system with sequential fuel injection it runs great and no codes. I went to connect an electronic speedo to pin#50 and I get instant reading of 160mph and a voltage reading on the speed out just when I turn on the ignition I have done a pinout on every pin and I cant figure out what is causing a voltage reading on pin 50 with no speed the voltage is not battery voltage it is around 10 volts HELP thanks Le Johnson

Advanced Tuner
    You are referring to pin 50 of the RED (C2) PCM connector, correct ?

Potential Tuner
    Hi yes pin 50 red has voltage without moving

Advanced Tuner
    There should be 9 volts from that pin (or on that wire) when stationary. When moving, this output will be pulsed at a rate of 4000 pulses per mile.

The attached PDF is the diagnostic flow chart, for a non-functioning speedometer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    HI thanks for the input I get 12.6 volts on vss wire stopped and battery voltage is 14.1 volts Any suggestions thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by leess396 View Post
    HI thanks for the input I get 12.6 volts on vss wire stopped and battery voltage is 14.1 volts Any suggestions thanks

Did you read the diagnostic flowchart that I posted ?

Step 1:
    • disconnect the PCM Speedometer output wire from the electric speedometer
    • measure the voltage on this wire
    • if the voltage is now around 9 volts, then either the electric speedometer is defective, or the connections are incorrect
    • if the voltage remains around 12 volts, continue to Step 2

Step 2:
    • disconnect the PCM C2 (Red) connector from the PCM
    • measure the voltage directly at pin 50 from the PCM
    • if the voltage is now around 9 volts, then there is a short to voltage somewhere along the Speedometer output wire itself
    • if the voltage remains around 12 volts, then either the PCM is defective, or the PCM has been incorrectly programmed

Potential Tuner
    Hi thanks i didnt get the flow chart. I will check as per your last Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Test completed. the voltage at wire#50 with ignition on not running 10.8 --- voltage at pin #50 on pcm with red disconnected is 8.91. I cut wire #50 near pcm to check for possible short and voltage remains same from pcm.