Thread: 2005, 2500 5.7L 545RFE transmission options?

2005, 2500 5.7L 545RFE transmission options?

I'm basically ready to pull the trigger on an MPVI2 today, but I want to be 100% certain it will work for me.

All I'm looking for is a confirmed answer that the MPVI2 does in fact have transmission tuning options for a 2005 ram 2500 5.7L?

All I can see on the supported vehicles list is 04-10 Ram 3.7, 4.7, 5.7, and there are no "additional supported controllers" for 2005.....
    So is trans tuning actually available for my 2005 2500 5.7L?

Messing around with my shift schedules is the main thing I want to do with HPT, so I want to make sure that it is available for my truck before I spend all that money and realize I still can't even tune my transmission.

Advanced Tuner
    Won't do it.

Ya so I've been reading....and I'm kinda pissed about that and at my truck as a whole. I don't understand why superchips can do it, and why they then abandoned the advanced trans tuning options from their newer model flashpaqs.
    my flashpaq won't work with my truck because it doesn't have a calibration file for it.

like, I'm really mad about this.

best I can see is the PCM swap mentioned by hemix i think? and even that has some issues apparently still, plus I'm lacking a scanner that can write data like the VIN.

As we discussed on the other threads, no, you won't be able to access the 05 545RFE transmission settings with the HP Tuner. Right now, since the SC Flashpaq ATT App. is no longer available, it appears the only possible option may be the changeover to a later model NGC4 PCM/TCM, but you'll probably have to do like I am.....buy one along with a scanner that supports PCM/TCM change programming and then have at it. This coming week I'll try to install my second "test" NGC4 PCM/TCM, and write down all the procedures for setting mine up. These procedures are probably going to be the same for all of our early DCX vehicles that use the 545RFE transmission.

Also, as of now, IMO, there is nothing dealing with this change that is going to make your vehicle not work as it did before the change, except for the transmission shifting better and I've also found that the MDS works somewhat better than it did, even with the SC or DS tuner setups. So far, I've put nearly 1000 miles on mine, but I am still continually making changes in an effort to resolve some of the anomalies related to the changeover. I've never had any driveability issues or any failures other than, so far, not being able to set everything up the way I want it. As of now, I've got the 6 speed transmission up shift and down shift schedules where I want them, but they are almost all too firm for my liking. For starters, if you do this, you may want to just drive it for a while and make notes of what you do and don't like and then later start adjusting things.....especially after some of this stuff is figured out. Once I figure the hard shifts out, then I'll start working on the torque converter slip settings, specifically reducing it like I've done on both of my LX's with the NAG1 transmissions. What this does is make the turbine RPM nearly the same as the engine RPM under most circumstances....makes it more like a manual transmission. Right now, on them, the only slip I have is at real low RPM.
    '
    Last edited by HemiX2; 08-22-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    Two (now Three) Hemi's, an 05 5.7 Magnum, an 06 300C SRT8 and an 06 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all somewhat modded. The 5.7's are modded almost the same with advanced (10* for Maggie and 6* for the Jeep) FRI Sidewinder cams/6.1 valve trains, ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SC, DS and HP Tuners, headers, cat. backs, underdrive pulleys, SOS coils, catch cans, 90 mm throttle bodies, plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff. 06 300C SRT8, Comp. Cammed, HPT tuned, Foose wheels, 85 mm TB.

My concern with swapping in a newer PCM is that my truck being an 05, isn't CANBUS, or fully CANBUS if I'm not mistaken.

So wouldn't using a PCM from an 06+ cause problems because it is CANBUS and my truck is not?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Killavolt View Post
    My concern with swapping in a newer PCM is that my truck being an 05, isn't CANBUS, or fully CANBUS if I'm not mistaken.

So wouldn't using a PCM from an 06+ cause problems because it is CANBUS and my truck is not?
    05 should still be J1850 PVW BUS, a single wire system. 2006+ Rams would be 2 wire CAN BUS. Maybe it would work if you swapped in a later instrument panel and added some wiring? But that sounds like a difficult gamble to take.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

If you're not CANBUS, I don't think you can do it. IMO, for sure you should do some more research though, because it really is nice.
    Two (now Three) Hemi's, an 05 5.7 Magnum, an 06 300C SRT8 and an 06 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all somewhat modded. The 5.7's are modded almost the same with advanced (10* for Maggie and 6* for the Jeep) FRI Sidewinder cams/6.1 valve trains, ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SC, DS and HP Tuners, headers, cat. backs, underdrive pulleys, SOS coils, catch cans, 90 mm throttle bodies, plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff. 06 300C SRT8, Comp. Cammed, HPT tuned, Foose wheels, 85 mm TB.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiX2 View Post
    If you're not CANBUS, I don't think you can do it. IMO, for sure you should do some more research though, because it really is nice.
    so my option is, and I don't know if it would work, is to just find a 2005 PCM that will work with my flashpaq..... perhaps a PCM from an older 2005 that has older software on it.

If I I could get my flashpaq qorking I can tune the trans with it and use HPT for everything else.

the other issue is I've heard that HPT "locks" the PCM which prevents other tuners from being used.....so this may be an issue, and if it is then maybe I need to get a diablo at that point.

The first step is however, seeing if an older PCM would work.

I'd like to find some other people with 05's and see if my flashpaq would work on their truck just so I could confirm this.

Of all the things HPT is capable of why won't they support the 545RFE

Advanced Tuner
    Of all the things HPT is capable of why won't they support the 545RFE
    Because they're busy mapping out Saturns.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Because they're busy mapping out Saturns.
    Love it! Haha 😂

Advanced Tuner
    I try.

I got my MPVI2 a little while, and under Trans are these options.

I'm assuming that if this is available in the editor then I'm able to actually change these options to adjust my shift schedules? Cause if so, this is really all I wanted to do. so is this not trans tuning?

Capture.PNG

Banned
    Yes those are for changing your shift schedules