Thread: turbo LE5 tuning Qs

Tuner in Training Hydra Performance's Avatar

Question turbo LE5 tuning Qs

Hey all,

I'm tuning a built turbo LE5 with an 06 E67 controller and had a few questions to ask y'all, but first a quick rundown of my setup:

Wiseco 8.x CR pistons
    Carrillo rods
    ZZP LE5 cams
    Supertech springs and retainers
    Werks EFR 6758 turbo kit with 3" intake setup and 3" thick FMIC
    3" catless turboback exhaust
    Siemens Deka 60lb injectors running @ 5.0bar with return fuel system
    3 bar MAP sensor
    currently running ~22psi on straight 93oct
    running full time OL and MAF-only tune

Had to rescale the tune due to not being able to rescale the load axes past 1.36g, and I have the tune dialed in very well for the most part, but the following had me wondering.

a) Why can't I get VCM Scanner to display more than 255kPa despite running a 3.0bar MAP sensor, what am I doing wrong here?

b) Why is my indicated IDC so low, if you do the math starting with IPW it should be double. I am using the correct PID for IDC I have checked and double checked this numerous times already. Might this be some sort of artifact from running a rescaled (50%) tune? Doesn't make any sense to me why it should...

c) My MAF readings appear to be unrealistically high (once you x2) for an EFR 6758. What I did was to take the stock MAF table, multiply everything by x1.13 or thereabouts, and smooth the near-idle cells. The stock LE5 intake is 2.75" and the supplied Werks intake is 3" so my math isn't too far off. Fuel injector flow rate and offset tables are spot on, and actual lambda follows commanded PE very closely, so I don't see where the difference is coming from. This doesn't really affect anything tune wise so its just curiosity on my behalf

d) How useful is it to tune the VE tables and run a blended tune? Car runs very well as is so I'm not sure the additional effort is worthwhile

e) Regarding cam phasing, the stock LE5 cams have centerlines of 135 for the intake and 125 for the exhaust, with a control range of 25deg, since that seems a little low to me coming from other platforms I'd like to confirm the following. Is the 25 deg in question measured w.r.t. to cam timing NOT the usual crank timing? In other words, are the effective lobe center control ranges 85-135 for the intake and 75-125 for the exhaust, or are we looking at 110-135 and 100-125 instead? The former makes a lot more sense intuitively, as the latter control range is too narrow given what I am using to seeing elsewhere. Knowing this would better help me model my setup within EA Pro and arrive at a better baseline calibration before hitting the dyno, which I was planning on doing sometime next week, so any input is much appreciated!

solstice rescaled drive home4.hpl

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydra Performance View Post
    Anyone?

crickets...

necrobump!

Advanced Tuner
    It's been over a year since your original post was made. Have you made any discoveries or solved any of the issues enumerated above since then?

If I did I wouldn't be bumping this thread

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydra Performance View Post
    If I did I wouldn't be bumping this thread
    Just making sure so I don't spend 20 minutes thinking about your questions and answering ones you've already resolved on your own.

a) Why can't I get VCM Scanner to display more than 255kPa despite running a 3.0bar MAP sensor, what am I doing wrong here?
    You are using the SAE PID for manifold pressure, which on earlier OSes, like yours, is limited to reading a max of 255kPa. Check to see if there is a GM version of the MAP PID in the scanner for your OS, it will read higher than 255.

b) Why is my indicated IDC so low, if you do the math starting with IPW it should be double. I am using the correct PID for IDC I have checked and double checked this numerous times already. Might this be some sort of artifact from running a rescaled (50%) tune? Doesn't make any sense to me why it should...
    Are your trims near zero and is a Wideband showing correct fuel ratios? That's what matters. If they are and your IDC seems "wrong" then either your calculations are wrong, or some element of your calculation (rail pressure or injector flow rate) is wrong.

c) My MAF readings appear to be unrealistically high (once you x2) for an EFR 6758. What I did was to take the stock MAF table, multiply everything by x1.13 or thereabouts, and smooth the near-idle cells. The stock LE5 intake is 2.75" and the supplied Werks intake is 3" so my math isn't too far off. Fuel injector flow rate and offset tables are spot on, and actual lambda follows commanded PE very closely, so I don't see where the difference is coming from. This doesn't really affect anything tune wise so its just curiosity on my behalf
    Is the ECM using MAF for airflow predictions? Or VE? These particular calibrations tend to use VE for fueling predictions, unless you force them to use the MAF. That would explain why your MAF is off but fueling is OK.

d) How useful is it to tune the VE tables and run a blended tune? Car runs very well as is so I'm not sure the additional effort is worthwhile
    Some people swear by them but it comes down to individual tuner style. If you know what you're doing with MAF calibration, you can achieve great results with this alone.

e) Regarding cam phasing, the stock LE5 cams have centerlines of 135 for the intake and 125 for the exhaust, with a control range of 25deg, since that seems a little low to me coming from other platforms I'd like to confirm the following. Is the 25 deg in question measured w.r.t. to cam timing NOT the usual crank timing? In other words, are the effective lobe center control ranges 85-135 for the intake and 75-125 for the exhaust, or are we looking at 110-135 and 100-125 instead? The former makes a lot more sense intuitively, as the latter control range is too narrow given what I am using to seeing elsewhere. Knowing this would better help me model my setup within EA Pro and arrive at a better baseline calibration before hitting the dyno, which I was planning on doing sometime next week, so any input is much appreciated!
    On Delphi controllers (like this one), cam phasing settings are measured in camshaft degrees (half of crankshaft degrees). You don't mention how you did your lobe profiling, but I'm assuming it's with each cam in the parked position. On this engine, the intake cam parks in the fully retarded position, and the exhaust parks in the fully advanced position. Assuming your profile is correct, and for the parked position, that means the phasing authority on the exhaust cam is 125 - 175 CRANKSHAFT degrees and the phasing authority on the intake cam is 85 - 135 CRANKSHAFT degrees.

Advanced Tuner
    I just reread your original post

running full time OL
    Why are you doing this?