Thread: 2000 Silverado Harness question- Canada vs US built trucks

2000 Silverado Harness question- Canada vs US built trucks

I am doing an engine swap (2004 LM4 5.3 from an Envoy) in my '98 Durango. I'm using a harness I had on hand from a 2003+ (Blue/Green) truck and converting it. The PCM will be from a 2000-02 Silverado. I have run into a sensor ground issue involving the engine coolant sensor.

In wiring the harness, I see there is a difference between US and Canada built trucks in both the O2 sensors and the coolant temp sensor.

The US built trucks use a flat 4-pin connector for the O2 sensors (case grounded) whereas the Canadian built trucks use a 4-pin square connector, the same one that is on my harness (isolated grounds). I was OK with that since I identified the functions and with advice from www.lt1swap.com was able to figure out how to wire up my O2 sensors. In relevant summary, they all use pin C1-63 for the "low reference" ground.

Now I'm looking to wire the coolant sensor and the diagram shows US and Canadian versions here as well. Both use pin C1-74 for the 5V out to the sensor. The US version uses pin C1-63 for the sensor ground (same one as the O2 sensors above), while the Canadian versions use pin C1-41.

My concern here is since I downloaded a stock tune for a 2000 Silverado (with 5.3 and 4L80 segment swap since that is my powertrain combo, I'll attach it) there may be an issue in the coolant temp and/or O2 sensor wiring. If the file is from a US built truck, won't it expect the wiring to be US spec? If I can find a file for a truck built in Canada, I think I should be OK. Is there a way to check a file and see if the VIN is from a Canada built truck?

I'll attach some relevant schematics. The O2 schematic is for the Canada built trucks, while the ECT is for both.

2000 Silverado Canada O2 sensors.gif2000 Silverado ECT.gif

Stock 2000 Silverado 5-3 with 4L80 segment swap OS_9381344.hpt
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.

All the sensor grounds and power grounds are tied together on a common bus inside the PCM. You can verify this yourself with an ohmmeter.

Good to know, I can use C1-41 then. Thanks.
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.