Thread: VE LFX mace 210/210 cam tuning

Potential Tuner

VE LFX mace 210/210 cam tuning

Chasing if anyone else has run into issues with engine getting large amounts of knock after fitting cams to LFX engine. I have cleaned up maf fueling, I have cleaned intake also. Car just wants to fall on its face on light throttle and knocks badly if try and push through it.

Tuner in Training
    That sounds like real knock and a scary situation. Given what I've read about knock sensitivity and the DI 3.6L as it relates to fueling, indicating rich conditions favor random spontaneous spark knock, you may want to choose a trouble spot and experiment with leaning it out some to see if that's the direction you need to move in. I recall reading post here or on some other forum where it was stated there is some degree of delay in response conditions that tends to make actual air fuel readings a little richer than what they actually are and that slight leaning efforts actually improved performance.

Since increased camshaft duration without any changes to compression ratio on the same motor trends toward enriching and destabilizing idle, in some cases to the extent of the O2 sensors being unable to deliver an accurate reading at low throttle input, perhaps leaning a test area out a bit more as a trial to see what happens may give some insight. The individuals with vast experience working with this version of the DI motor and the mace cams will likely suggest you post your tune for review.

More specifics would be helpful also. What exactly was done to the motor and what have you done to confirm everything was reconnected properly and to rule out false knock. Perform some searches on the Camaro forum where these cams have been used for some insight also, as I doubt you can run them efficiently with the stock VVT programming. If all you've done is install the cams, I can't imagine the problem is anymore than getting the air fuel mix for the cams corrected in the trouble spot and that will likely call for a wideband O2 meter.

I wouldn't continue to press the motor hard with that severe a response, it wouldn't take much to chip a piston if you are hearing knock loudly.