Thread: Speed density? Normal?

Tuner in Training

Speed density? Normal?

When i see people with na 3rd gens switching to speed density what exactly are they doing it for. For tuning? For normal operation?

Speed density has nothing to do with "NA" or "3rd gens" lol

Its just the main way to tune a car. All stand-alones use Speed density. There is no reason to use a maf in a high performance application

maf sensors are terrible choice. Because they are fickle. I am a maf tuning expert, I've tuned 100 vehicles or more with maf sensors over the last 20 years. I know exactly how to use a maf, and if I list all of the things here in order to make one run properly it will boggle your mind. Just avoid maf sensor at all costs.

You might wonder why I tune them, then. Well I can answer that question before you pose it. Many cars come factory with a maf sensor, already in a turbo application. I.e. 02 Skyline, 02 Silvia, 02(jdm is 02) Rx-7. I tune many of these cars with a maf because they already have the maf in place. I just clean up the installation (remove whatever the owner has 'done' to it, usually, and go back to factory-like) and keep using a maf because the maf sensor makes it very easy to tune those engines. A maf is SIMPLE to tune when it's installed correctly. The issue isn't that maf sensors suck or that maf sensors are "bad". Its just very difficult to find an aftermarket installation (motor swap for example) where the owner has correctly implemented the maf sensor. In other words, when the maf is used like a factory setup with a bypass valve, a rubber/ring pre-compressor expansion tube (a tube made of rubber that precedes the maf or a large enough volume of pre-compressor region with enough length) etc... those details make it very easy to tune. But nobody understands that those are necessary devices, they think you can just slap a maf on the front of an engine and tune it.