Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help clearing secondary O2 sensors

Potential Tuner

Cool Help clearing secondary O2 sensors

Hello HP Fam!

I own HellKitten: 2018 Chrysler 300 (392 Stroker, 2.9L Stage 3 Whipple)

I have been working with a reputable tuner, and upon finishing up the touches, am trying to clear my check engine light, but it keeps throwing codes and coming back on. My tuner has suggested that I come here and ask how to clear secondary O2 sensors. They are unable to do this for me as something about emmissions rules etc etc.

I am getting the following:

P0038 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1, Sensor 2)(Pending, Current, Permanent)
    P0058 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2, Sensor 2)(Pending, Current, Permanent)
    P0138 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)(Pending)
    P0158 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)(Pending)
    P219B - (Permanent)

Looking for assistance. Fairly new to HP Tuners software, but am a computer guy.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!

Advanced Tuner
    Don't think permanent codes can be cleared by any off the shelf scan tool or HP tuners. Such codes are cleared by the PCM once it sees the correct values. But if you remove O2 sensors then it will never clear but you can disable SES so you no longer see the light on the dash.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post592587

Do you have a copy of the current tune you can post?

Advanced Tuner
    The only other way to clear permanent codes besides fixing the actual problem is to flash the ECM using a dealer tool. I've done this with GM. Not sure about the Mopars tho...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by HellKitten View Post
    Hello HP Fam!

I own HellKitten: 2018 Chrysler 300 (392 Stroker, 2.9L Stage 3 Whipple)

I have been working with a reputable tuner, and upon finishing up the touches, am trying to clear my check engine light, but it keeps throwing codes and coming back on. My tuner has suggested that I come here and ask how to clear secondary O2 sensors. They are unable to do this for me as something about emmissions rules etc etc.

I am getting the following:

P0038 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1, Sensor 2)(Pending, Current, Permanent)
    P0058 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2, Sensor 2)(Pending, Current, Permanent)
    P0138 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)(Pending)
    P0158 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)(Pending)
    P219B - (Permanent)

Looking for assistance. Fairly new to HP Tuners software, but am a computer guy.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!
    well , if you have the hptuners mpvi just to go to the Engine Diag tab in the editor and search for the fault code and remove the check box that says MIL . i assume your tuner disabled COT and readiness in the ect rear sensor
    Last edited by malikib; 08-19-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by malikib View Post
    well , if you have the hptuners mpvi just to go to the Engine Diag tab in the editor and search for the fault code and remove the check box that says MIL . i assume your tuner disabled COT and readiness in the ect rear sensor
    I tried this on several cars and the check engine light still appeared. The only way I was able to clear it was to flash the entire engine OS via TECH 2 (GM).

Potential Tuner
    Thank you everyone for your input. I will parse this data and see what I can accomplish! <3

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    I tried this on several cars and the check engine light still appeared. The only way I was able to clear it was to flash the entire engine OS via TECH 2 (GM).
    Well you could write the entire os using mpvi2

Advanced Tuner
    Well you could write the entire os using mpvi2
    That wont work, unfortunately. Tried it...
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)

That wont work, unfortunately. Tried it...
    Did you disable the readiness in the oxygen sensors ? Also disable downstream sensors THen disable the codes by unchecking mil then write entire theN Clear the dtc that should get rid of it
    Last edited by malikib; 08-21-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you disable the readiness in the oxygen sensors ? Also disable downstream sensors THen disable the codes by unchecking mil then write entire theN Clear the dtc that should get rid of it
    Yep. The problem is, the codes need to be disabled before the owner drives for any amount of time. Seen plenty of folks get headers and stuff installed on these newer vehicles and then drive them until they can get them tuned. The permanent codes get set and cannot be cleared. Even after disabling the DTCs. I tell folks to AT LEAST have the codes disabled before they get the work done. Then they will never ever have to worry about the codes again. Been there, done that. More than a few times. Too many to count.

Tuner in Training
    Yep. The problem is, the codes need to be disabled before the owner drives for any amount of time. Seen plenty of folks get headers and stuff installed on these newer vehicles and then drive them until they can get them tuned. The permanent codes get set and cannot be cleared. Even after disabling the DTCs. I tell folks to AT LEAST have the codes disabled before they get the work done. Then they will never ever have to worry about the codes again. Been there, done that. More than a few times. Too many to count.
    Thank you for this insight, I thought this might be the case but have not tested it yet.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by joeapple View Post
    Thank you for this insight, I thought this might be the case but have not tested it yet.
    I have. And it works.

Advanced Tuner
    Is there a list of what to disable? I'm about to go down this road and already working on a file with everything turned off related to #2 o2 sensors and Cat efficiency or temp.

Also, should anything be done in the actual tune as far as temps, etc?

I have some pretty good ideas, just looking for confirmation.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Is there a list of what to disable? I'm about to go down this road and already working on a file with everything turned off related to #2 o2 sensors and Cat efficiency or temp.

Anything secondary O2 sensor related. Including cat codes.

Advanced Tuner
    Ran across this recall where apparently permanent codes would not clear from the PCM and the solution is a reflash of the PCM. So I guess dealerships can clear codes but as jaydubb71 eluded to, it requires a complete reflash of the PCM.
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...70368-9999.pdf
    Last edited by Homer; 09-01-2020 at 01:59 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    For the "tuner" I would contact oemtools.com. Im not sure of the prices though...

Tuner in Training

Spoolboy I can confirm what was said above is true, I have gone through all driving conditions 2 tanks of gas and no codes or rediness issues, when you get to that point I can post what I did, and there were no codes to start with it was in "street trim", some changes may be necessary some may not be but it worked great so far. here is last log file of light throttle drive home, 19 red eye ,1200cc fic inj and 3.17 hellraiser, midpipes stock other than that
    vcm scanner log

Serial: T00EP0049GRBWT
    Calibration IDs: 05035603AE
    Calibration VNs: B7BA7420
    Basic PIDs: 47
    Trouble Codes:
    Controller Type ID By OS: 0
    Diagnostic Requirements: None
    Scanning Methods:

TCM: 7E9, CAN, TCM -TransmisCtrl
    Serial: T00UM318867800
    Calibration IDs: 05035625AC
    Calibration VNs: 3583C3AD
    Basic PIDs: 12
    Trouble Codes:
    Controller Type ID By OS: 0
    Diagnostic Requirements: None
    Scanning Methods:

I may be wrong but it appears to me that i will not have any issues with this, at another time not so late, I can post my tune file for you or send it to you

Advanced Tuner
    If you're willing to share your tune publicly, go ahead and post it. If not, let me know and I will PM my email address

I had an issue throwing a P113D code (o2 sensor High frequency slow to respond) or something similar. I disabled the light and stopped it from checking for this code as described above. I am very new to Tuning but with the advice of my Tuner it was easily accomplished. I know I have the Permanent Code until I can figure out how to add more response time for the code to clear (I had Long Tube Headers and high flow Cats added by a Reputable performance shop).

Tuner in Training
    If you're willing to share your tune publicly, go ahead and post it. If not, let me know and I will PM my email address
    Hope this helps, remember i had no codes or cel before i put mids on and tune in! This is not a worked out tune but a work in progress! And possibly more needs to be done or less I imagine but it works for this purpose, race day soon so I need to get to work on the tune, so much to learn lol

Did that help at @spoolboy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by joeapple; 09-22-2020 at 02:14 PM.