Thread: Can the 5.9 computer do it?

Potential Tuner

Can the 5.9 computer do it?

Can the 5.9 computers be programmed to run a 4 cylinder engine?

I have an ISB170 3.9 which uses the same injectors, rail pressure sensor, fca, etc. as the dodge/cummins 5.9. However it uses and industrial (J1939) protocol which no one programs. If I re-pinned the harness to connect to the dodge/cummins computer does the EFIlive have the capability to time the 4 cylinders appropriately? I know the industrial 3.9 and 5.9 use the same computer just different programs.

Banned
    That?s a lot of work and not so simple and yes even the dodge ecms have j1939 protocol in them

Potential Tuner
    Well can it be done with a HPtuner?

I have only had to modify the frame, body, motor mounts, transmission mount, brake lines (hydroboost and different master cylinder), power steering lines, AC lines, transmission cooler lines, coolant lines, intercooler mounts, fuel tank, fuel lines, heater core lines, transfercase mods, and still have to do custom intake and exhaust, just to get this engine in the truck. After all that I figure re-pinning a harness to a different computer won't be that bad.

Banned
    With what you can see in hp tuners as is without user defined parameters it?s a definite no. With access to all parameters it may be a possibility. Really best option would be the autocal HD and try to track down the specific files for the original ECM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, but Autocal HD does not cover this computer (CM800).

Banned
    Cummins Inline 6 and Cummins software would do the trick but again, need the right files.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Jim, I found someone who can program it. He said he would do it for me or I could with cummins in-line, caltherm, and his files.
    The above is what he uses but he gave a few more examples of compatible interfaces and software that would work.

You and him are the first two I have found to know how to get this done. Thanks again!