Thread: 08 TBSS eFans

Tuner in Training

08 TBSS eFans

I an trying to get my fans to come on at 180.
    I have played with the "Fan Desired % vs ECT" Table.
    I can get the fans always on... or come on at 195ish.
    Can I get some help on this? Do I need to hire a tuner to assist?
    patch from PCM of NC .PNGTBSS original tune PCM-SPAL.hpt

The left-most box, 192.2, actually functions as 'anything 192.2 or less', so if you put anything in that box other than zero, the fan(s) run all the time.

What fan hardware/wiring config are you using?

If you need fan operation below 195 you have to go to the '2-bar' custom OS.

Tuner in Training
    I just bought the TBSS.
    It is a very modified build with an air to water IC. But the Fans as I can tell are Spall with 3 Relays.
    What is needed to to go to 2-bar OS?

I would like fans to fun at 170 or 180. to help with IAT and heat soak.

Click the 'OS' toolbar button to see if it's available for your OS. I'd strongly recommend checking to make sure it has the latest GM calibration (the base OS) in it before committing to any changes.

What thermostat do you have? Because the fans respond to engine temp, if the fans come in at a lower temp than the thermostat all you'll do is lower the temp of the radiator, and the fans will run flat-out trying to lower a temp that's being kept high by the thermostat. And low-temp thermostats without more radiator capacity often lead to thermal runaway situations, and you end up with higher coolant temps at times than you'd have with the stock t-stat. Temps are less consistent - cooler than stock at low heat loads, higher than stock at high loads.

FYI an E67 is technically a Gen4.

Tuner in Training
    OS button didn't give me much. Tune Details gave me more.
    Hardware :E67 GM Gen4
    Operating System 12618164

I am running a 160
    Around town, spirited driving rarely gets over 190.
    Unless I lock my fans on... Then that will get me temps in the 180s.
    Highway speeds I am always at 198 to 210.
    I am in Florida where we are running in 98 degree heat most of the summer/year.

If you don't see this in the OS tab then it's not available, you are stuck with the fan settings. Or switch to a standalone fan controller.

screenshot.19-08-2020 14.48.04.png

Tuner in Training
    Would I need to be online with the truck to see that?
    Or would the tune loaded and not connected give the accurate OS info?OS.PNG

So can I upgrade to that OS? Or am I stuck?

If that's from a file read from the ECM in your truck, then it's not available.

Advanced Tuner
    No Enhanced OS for the 08 TBSS, only 06 and 07s.

You're not going to be able to lower the fan temps below the 195 cell with HPTuners, easier to get a manual fan controller or leave them to come on at 195. You'll be hard pressed to get to the 180s consistently, 190-205s are fine.

FWIW I've had a 160* tstat in my 08 TBSS for probably 7 years and let the fan come on at 195.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Advanced Tuner
    I built a standalone controller for my truck to get around this issue. Picks up ECT, AC pressure, vehicle speed, etc off of CAN and controls the fans independently. Been considering making them in bulk...

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for all the replies.
    A standalone controller sounds interesting.
    Any downside in the summer months running fans all the time. It seems to be helping at the moment.

Advanced Tuner
    As has been stated, in most instances there is no true benefit to controlling the fans below 192 degrees Fahrenheit.

For those that must have this option, it requires an OS patch. Similar to a Gen 4 VATS patch, different tuning software go about these options in different ways. If you apply a VATS patch using HP Tuners, then read the ECM using EFILive, the EFILIve software will display that no VATS patch has been applied. Same goes for the fan patch.

This is why care must be taken when using multiple tuning software on the same ECM - do not patch something twice using two different software suites.

If you really want this option, someone with EFILive could set it up for you - however, the end product would not appear any different if you then read the ECM with HP Tuners - meaning that the labels in the ECT Fan table would no longer be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    I built a standalone controller for my truck to get around this issue. Picks up ECT, AC pressure, vehicle speed, etc off of CAN and controls the fans independently. Been considering making them in bulk...
    I would not mind hearing more about this option.