Thread: Gen 1 Coyote 6Auto Shifting Issues

Tuner in Training

Gen 1 Coyote 6Auto Shifting Issues

2013 Ford Mustang GT
    LT Headers, cat delete, Roush CAI, FRP 47Lb injectors, upgraded fuel pump, on pump E85. In our area I have measured the E for years at 68-70% Alcohol. Everything else stock.

I have read several other threads on here about getting these auto car to shift at a higher RPM but nothing is really working for me. I am stumped!

I have shift anticipation disabled and I tried play with shift schedules and nothing is working.

I would like the car to shift at 7200rpm in every gear.

Thanks for the help!

8-19-2020 Close to stock starting over.hpt
    Shift Schedule up shift rasied by 25%.hpl
    Set shift schedule to stock 1st par is D 2nd is S.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Your mph on shift schedule needs some work. What size tire are you running?

Spicerparts.com/calculators is website can help get Wot mph closer.

Tuner in Training
    Tire size 285/35-19

Which shift schedule there is several?

I have a Dyno in my shop so I can figure exactly what mph to shift just need to know where to put it.

Advanced Tuner
    It seems like you're making changes without fully understanding the consequences

1.) Please validate the information you have in the Speedometer section of the tune. You have VID disabled, why? Is that the correct gear ratio? 285 35 R19 tires are 751 rev/mile, not 776 - but validate that for sure. You will have to adjust N/V base after those are corrected. Having this section correct helps with accuracy to your shift schedule since MPH is a factor.

2.) Nothing matches up properly with your Trans Shift Schedule. You have Antic Disabled but have not made the correct adjustments to the schedule to accommodate that change. Schedules: DRIVE = NORMAL, SPORT = TOW/HAUL.

The easiest solution with your mods and assuming 3.73s are correct: Fix Speedo Section, turn antic shifts back on, set RPMS to 7200 in the normal schedule 1st thru 4th. Fix your MPH in the normal schedule... the last rows for each gear (1st-4th) will be something like 38, 66, 102, 135 MPH. This should get you close.

We can try with antic disabled as well. I have tons of experience with either way but it behaves differently...
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    You just gonna call me on my stuff in front of everyone...yes I'm in guess and check mode.

The only way I could get it to shift above 5800 was to disable antic

1 - yes 3.73 gears. When I upped the nv it bounced on the limiter then shifted. But not always and not every gear.

2 - I wish I knew how/haul = sport a shame it doesn't just say that.

I'll try in the morning and report back...thanks!!
    Last edited by xxblamedxx; 08-20-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    LOL nah man it's actually refreshing to see someone post a useful log and tune. Even your log names are descriptive. If you are new to tuning you're already way ahead of the others...

Increase Max Accel to 100 to allow antic logic to work better, especially since you have 3.73s and probably spin in 1st

If it still short shifts (like on the 1>2 shift), and Speedo is accurate, max accel is 100, then RPM or MPH is your limit. Try increasing RPM to 7300 or 7400, and bump MPH up substantially. Something like 42+ mph (42=8100rpm for you in 1st) just to see which one is the causing the issue. If you see an improvement, keep raising one or the other (or both). With my car, RPM only needed slight adjustment and MPH needed a lot more. I have a TVS and a higher stall converter though...

Can you share the log/tune of when it was shifting @ 5800?
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.

Tuner in Training
    I am not new to tuning per say....also not an expert by any means. I've tuned my own TT C6 & 01 Dakota w Kenne Bell. Recently opened a shop and I have tuned about 20 cars in the past 2-3 months. Wide variety...Nissan, Honda, GM anything from a C4 on TunerPro to 11 Yukon, Dodge, and Ford. I have a 1 on 1 class setup with the tuning school end of Sept to figure these stupid Fords out. Everything on a Ford seems convoluted.

Anyway I have a log shifting at ~5800 but lost the tune that matched because I was trying so many things and not making separate files. That was toward the end of the day and I was getting frustrated and ready to go home. I posted right at the end of the day.

I am about to get the car warmed up for round 2.

Tuner in Training
    Forgot to attached the log

Trans tuning 5 5600 1st shift .hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by xxblamedxx View Post
    Forgot to attached the log

Trans tuning 5 5600 1st shift .hpl
    In that log:

1>2 actual shift is 7200 but yeah it's commanding around 5600 and that's perfectly fine. Looks like you were actually good one that one.

2>3 and 3>4 was way early though.....

Tuner in Training
    blockbolt22 thanks for all the help on this!

I tried everything you suggested as suggested. It did start shifting later, but would always hit the rev limiter and bounce for a sec then shift. The speedo was dead nutz with my dyno out to a 10th of a mile. Dyno = 3.7mph Car was reading 3.7mph

I played with anything and everything. NO effect. I raised and lowered the NV no affect. I raised and lowered the MPH shift schedule no affect. I raised and lowered the shift RPM no affect.

I ended up re-enabling anticipation shifting and playing with the last cell of the shift schedules. I still could not make it shift where I wanted, but I got it to shift in 1->2, 2->3, 3->4 above 7k rpm. That was the best I could do. The guy really wanted his car back. His biggest concern was the nitrous and Flex tune. I could those to work great, but the trans tune was not perfect. I told the guy I am taking the 1-1 class in a couple weeks and if he wanted to bring it back then I will touch up his trans tune.

For kicks I posted a ton of logs and the final tune I shipped.

Closer 3.hpl
    Accel set to 100 mph.hpl
    Tq Based shift disable.hpl
    NV Base 50.hpl
    NV Base 40.hpl
    8-20-2020 After HPTuner Forum Suggestions.hpt
    8-20-2020 Final.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Please share the matching log of your 'final' tune. You have to be slamming the rev limiter 1>2 with RPM to 8000?? Is it really shifting THAT early 1>2 with antic on? :O

Antic Shifts Enabled and Disabled are 2 completely different things and the same schedule will not work (mostly applies to 1>2)

Antic Enabled = Actual Shift should occur at set RPM (or at least this is the intent). Other factors can influence the accuracy of the resulting shift, both in the tune and physical. Speedo was one of them if MPH was being factored in.
    Antic Disabled = Start Shift at set RPM (Actual shift is way later, especially 1>2).

You did not mention the use of nitrous. That's a pretty big detail. If he will be spraying in 1st, running antic disabled would require a much earlier schedule and the resulting shifts would be different depending on if he was spraying or not. Antic enabled in this case is more 'adaptive' as long as you can dial it in

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Please share the matching log of your 'final' tune. You have to be slamming the rev limiter 1>2 with RPM to 8000?? Is it really shifting THAT early 1>2 with antic on? :O

Antic Shifts Enabled and Disabled are 2 completely different things and the same schedule will not work (mostly applies to 1>2)

Antic Enabled = Actual Shift should occur at set RPM (or at least this is the intent). Other factors can influence the accuracy of the resulting shift, both in the tune and physical. Speedo was one of them if MPH was being factored in.
    Antic Disabled = Start Shift at set RPM (Actual shift is way later, especially 1>2).

You did not mention the use of nitrous. That's a pretty big detail. If he will be spraying in 1st, running antic disabled would require a much earlier schedule and the resulting shifts would be different depending on if he was spraying or not. Antic enabled in this case is more 'adaptive' as long as you can dial it in
    Great info!

Tuner in Training
    i faced this issue before with my Car.

basically what i did was raise the MPH to Raise The Rpm range up to 76xx Rpm.

the Gear limit i raised it to 7300 even though i'm running a 2018 intake and to allow some headrest to allow it to shift properly.

i worked on the Base NV as well among with the tire size adjustment.

there is one switch that needs to be turned off when changing the Rear Axle pinion. keeping that switch on won't allow the changes to take place.

let me get back home i'll share the changes and give it a shot once you get to work on the car again.

Tuner in Training
    This was the final tune with matching datalogs. Yes he is spraying in first.

He took it to the track the other night and he said everything was great accept 1->2 shift was slow. He send me a cell phone video over text so the vid was crab but you can here the shift start like half through the rev and doesn't finish until the rev limiter. After that he said everything worked fine.

He wants to come back later this week to work on the 1->2 shift.

Any help would be really great. Blackbolt if you are even in the little rock area I owe you a dyno run!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Ahuremi89 Thanks!