Thread: How to do a maf tune step by step open loop

How to do a maf tune step by step open loop

Hi everyone I am new to this so keep with me I have a 2013 chevy caprice with bolt ons only (Cai headers catback) maybe in the near future a cam and a nitrous but for now I want to know how to tune it myself since it's only bolt ons from what I have gathered I will start by disabling close loop disable dfco ,cot,oxy sensors,dynamic af,after that I will go logging using my wide band btw using lambda since everyone says it's better after I have finished logging i take the table copy ,paste special by half%- in the maf table...etc after I finish tuning I see a lot of people renableing their dfco ,dynamic af ,oxysensors and I don't get it aren't we forcing it into open loop why re enable those isn't doing that going to destroy my tune that's my first question my second question is .is what I am doing right I mean for a bolt ons should I just tune the maf tables then move on to timing the spark or is there anything else?if there is show me what else to tune and with what to log to sum up I need to know every detail to tune my bolt ons myself engine transmission everything i want to learn this no matter what I don't want anyone to do it for me and thank you in advance
    Last edited by Varto20; 08-21-2020 at 04:10 PM.

I guess you didn't read my comment in the other thread you posted in.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thank I have read your comment and I understood how close and open loop works thanks to you now moving up for a bolt on tune what should I tune next for example do I tune the maf first or the ve since it's a maf op tune and after I finish fueling where to next timing ,torque tuning,torque managment off or on ,transmission tuning...etc I am sorry but I am a very curious guy and I want to learn everything as fast as I can of course the vehicle is (chevy caprice 13 transmission 6l80 I think )

Many choose to do the MAF tuning first as it's a little less involved than VVE tuning. Pick which one you want to do first but both should be at least gone over to make sure it's all good.

There really is no do this or do that step by step for most things. The biggest thing is making sure the airflow model is correct, the rest of the stuff like power enrichment, timing etc etc just fall into place. If the airflow model is right, you should be able to pick and choose a target air fuel ratio for full throttle and it will be very close.

Stock timing is going to pretty good already, obviously a dyno would let you see where it makes the best horsepower/torque but 99% of us don't have one. Figure 20 to 26 degrees of timing on the stock camshaft will always make good and safe power.

Torque mngt doesn't need much changing at all. For sure nothing on the transmission needs to be touched. The 6L80e is somewhat easy to figure out, not a lot needs to be done to make it shift faster/cleaner. There should be a number of threads talking about what you can change. The trucks run the same transmission so some threads may be about those but the basics still apply between the two.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thank you very much for clearing it out you helped me a a lot I will have a look at the threads about the 6l80

Potential Tuner
    I was about to ask the same thing. Thanks for the immediate response, 5FDP!