Thread: Need help with MAF tuning a coyote

Advanced Tuner

Need help with MAF tuning a coyote

I've never tuned a Coyote before. I am wanting to put a Gen 3 factory CAI on a Gen 2 mustang gt.

I did the math and came up with a correction factor of 1.35. The car starts and runs fine. I mapped the STFT and it is rich everywhere. 3 to 10% is the range, most cells are in the 5% range.

I have no idea what to change to lean it out a bit, I assume I need to change the MAF period in the cells where it is rich. I don't know which way to change the numbers.

I really want to learn how to tune my car. I am willing to pay for any teaching.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    I've never tuned a Coyote before. I am wanting to put a Gen 3 factory CAI on a Gen 2 mustang gt.

I did the math and came up with a correction factor of 1.35. The car starts and runs fine. I mapped the STFT and it is rich everywhere. 3 to 10% is the range, most cells are in the 5% range.

I have no idea what to change to lean it out a bit, I assume I need to change the MAF period in the cells where it is rich. I don't know which way to change the numbers.

I really want to learn how to tune my car. I am willing to pay for any teaching.

Thanks in advance

Dan
    You need to make a histogram with your maf period. I got mine from jn2ning member on here. Then insert your maf period numbers. Currently on my phone but can send you layout when I get off work.

I have the thetuningschool book for sale if interested but there's some great info on here if you use the search part. Hard to find but some great stuff

Advanced Tuner
    If you can send the layout it would be greatly apreciated. PM me with the book info please.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post506555

start there.

and even easier if this is a stock my18 air intake lid, load the maf curve from a my18 tune and you should be set.

2019_Mustang_GT_10R80_STOCK.hpt
    maf curve.png

Advanced Tuner
    Thankyou for the 19 MAF. Yes my car is totally stock all I'm doing right now is adding the 18 + intake lid and tube to the manifold. It is 100 mm the 17 and eariler is 86mm.

My problem is the 19 MAF map points are not the same as the 17 and I don't know how to change them

Advanced Tuner
    I figured out how to change the axis points and flashed the 19 MAF map and now it runs lean

I tried to log ltft + stft and cannot get the graph to populate.

I really want to understand what needs to be done. Can someone walk me through setting up a proper MAF curve

Advanced Tuner
    I think I got it but I really wish I understood what I did
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Here is the log

Senior Tuner
    You didn't transfer the period values over correctly or applied a correction incorrectly at some point. AHHH 204.0 needs to be 194.4, thats all.

It looks like its a little rich, negative is pulling fuel away as there's too much, meaning its rich.
    I was going to show you what to look for and ho to block it into chunks, then I saw the 204 and 204.5 period values are out of smoothness. They need a bit more fine tuning. Easiest to see when you look at the numbers and the curve.

The easiest thing you can do is open the stock tune Grim50 posted, go to the MAF transfer, click the axis label "period (us)", highlight all cells and right click/copy.
    Then open your tune and click on the axis label "period (us)", right click the left cell and paste.
    After that copy the stock tunes table values to your tunes MAF table.

Theres a compare feature that makes it easier, but it looks like the MAF transfer isn't comparable in that between the two tunes, not sure why.

transfered.PNG

It should look like this once you properly copied the transfer from the 18+.

MAF copied from stock 18+.PNG

When I make the change to 194.4 in the scanner graph, you can see STFT+LTFT shows the error.

194.4.PNG
    Last edited by murfie; 08-22-2020 at 02:32 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm a total idiot when it comes to these things, I'll never touch someone elses car.

What do I need to do to get the 204 cell to be correct?

Thank you for your help.

table edit.pngtable edit1.pngtable edit2.png

once you get the corrections murife pointed out, id leave the stock my18 values alone to start. car needs to be at full operating temp, and no restarts for at least 5-6 minutes before you start gathering data. Smooth consistent throttle inputs help greatly. you want to try and hit each period (us) and then hold steady so that the trims level off and become accurate. the longer the log the more the readings and the graph will stabilize. check your count or cell hits too so you can see where you need to get more data.

count.png
    Last edited by Grim5.0; 08-22-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I just relooked at the tune, I have cell 204 twice.

Fixed it.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Am I going the correct direction?

maf error.png

pretty close, apply the error to the curve and repeat. your air temps are higher and will have a bit of correction being applied but should be a wash. can log again once temps drop and confirm. some will recommend turning off maf adaption too

Advanced Tuner
    I think it is right.

Do you see anything wrong or can I safely drive it.

Senior Tuner
    Looks safe to drive to me.

Fuel trims are with in 1-2%, no knock. You went WOT once shortly, and it all looked fine. You would need to start doing WOT full RPM range pulls, so like a 30mph pulls to redline all in 3rd. IF you can do it safely in 4th the pull will last longer getting you more data to look at. IF you are happy with the way the car drives and runs, its perfectly fine to leave it where its at.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll be going to the drag strip friday and will log the pulls.

Thanks again for the help. I think I have a grasp on what I'm doing.

Advanced Tuner
    I've been searching the site for a long time. I cannot find an answer to this question.

I don't understand what the MAF airflow period numbers and graph mean. Now that is not 100% true.

I understand with smaller periods (time) the car is taking in more air. What I do not understand is on my graph that I datalogged, do I want the read values to equal the axis or fixed point values. I realise some plot points are far away from the nect point and it will never equal, but is that the general idea of mapping the points?

So taken to the extream, if I put each point on a graph axis "92 93 94 95 96 97........1438" Would I want the live points to equal the fixed points on the graph axis.

Also on my stock maf table and on the tunes posted here in the repository, there are a couple of places where it is not very smooth in the high vacuum low RPM areas.

Should I smooth them or leave them alone since thats the way the factory engineers did it.

Thanks for your time.

It's raining so the Test and tune has been cancelled.
    Last edited by K44; 08-28-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Just proof read my post and thinking about it it shouldn't matter how far the points are on the static axis. If that is what we are trying to accomplish with MAF tuning? so should cell 382.4 read 382.4 on the data log?