Thread: 2002 cavalier 2.2 OHV, automatic

Potential Tuner

2002 cavalier 2.2 OHV, automatic

New to tuning, Been doing a lot of readIng here and I?m a little scared to make the jump into doing some changes. My boy is running a dirt circle track and I?m looking to a little more OT of this stock motor. All we have done is a cold air intake (rules don?t allow much more).

Looking for a good starting tune to give this motor a little something and learn a little along the way

Thanks

I've helped with two of these in the past, the downside is that there is not a ton you can change because the computers are so simple and the engines don't make a ton of power without real internal mods or boost.

I told the guy to run 91+ octane for sure because it's basically full throttle all the time. I adjusted the commanded AFR to slightly richer than it's set, around 12.5 to 12.7 AFR at full throttle. I don't have the right computer in front of me with the files but I think I lowered the enable settings for power enrichment so it comes on sooner and slightly altered the timing.

I think the guy even told me they do something to the transmission so it only runs in 2nd gear too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    If you have E85 or E55 around you, you could always run that and tune for it. Because your computer is likely not dual fuel enabled, once you tune it for E85 or E55, you will have to stay that way. This will allow you to run more advance without knocking and get more power out of it. E85/55 is REALLY good for those that run turbos. But for you, it should also help a little as well. Just a thought....

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by four_by_nut View Post
    If you have E85 or E55 around you, you could always run that and tune for it. Because your computer is likely not dual fuel enabled, once you tune it for E85 or E55, you will have to stay that way. This will allow you to run more advance without knocking and get more power out of it. E85/55 is REALLY good for those that run turbos. But for you, it should also help a little as well. Just a thought....
    HHMMMM, will have to give that a try

Potential Tuner
    i have a tune someone sent me but he is not sure if it was for a ecotec or OHV. Is there a way to tell?