Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 chevy silverado ongoing tuning thread.

Tuner in Training

2014 chevy silverado ongoing tuning thread.

After trying for 3 or 4 days now to no avail, I need some help figuring out how to tune my MAF sensor.

starting off,
    I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 5.3, with a 6.2 intake manifold and throttle body, Texas speed long tube headers.
    nothing crazy, I have a K&N Black hawk on order. not planning on more engine mods.

I will be posting on this thread frequently so everyone can see the progression and solutions to problems.

first issue I keep having the issue Reduced Engine Power Mode. I have changed the values of the P0068 Delta to the max values and am still getting the error randomly.

Second issue, I have a constant Error for the P0430 O2 sensor error code. I have disabled the Error code in the DTC under Engine Diagnostics, and again as before No Avail.

thirdly, I have been trying to tune my MAF based on Lambda Math in Lambda AFR tables EQ server ratio and EQ commanded. when the math is input with the Hz ratios I cannot get the truck to read the chart, assuming the math is correct it has to be some other verbal
    could all of these issues be spawning from the P0430 error? I am posting the most current tuning file I have with all of the errors and EQ tables.
    any and all help to fix these issues so I can get back to tuning would be helpful. the sooner the better.

4. disable DFCO, COT, O2, Dynamic Airflow, -5 spark advance 08-22-2020.hpt
    EQ error ratio.MathParameter.xml
    MAF Error.table.Table.xml

thanks for taking time to read this

Tuner in Training
    I am having an issue with the truck not reading wideband, in either AFR or LambdaI have tried to find the correct serial input for this and am unable to locate it.
    I have not been able to log anything and need help!
    I have followed every forum and setup I can find and am unable to get the programs to read.

does the 2014 Silverado's have a wideband on them?
    do I need the pro link in order to read the O2 sensors?
    How do I set up a histogram for EQ error to read the MAF for recalibration of the AFR, on a 2014 Silverado with the MPVI 2 base, not pro?

btw I set up my charts exactly the way they said to and got nowhere.

i have followed this link and goat rope garage and still cannot get the truck to read the MAF in Hz

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...al-VE-Vehicles)

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IoW...a&index=5&t=0s

someone please help me, I cannot tune my fuel tables, or calibrate my AFR or O2 sensers because it won't read the histograms created

These trucks do not have wideband sensors, only narrowband sensors. You must buy a wideband and weld a bung into the exhaust if you want to use one. AEM makes a OBD2 wideband that makes logging a breeze on vehicles with CAN-BUS. I have one in my 2016 Silverado.

If you removed the cats and the rear o2 sensors, many of those related codes will never go away. You can turn the check engine light off and the error code but they will always show up in the DTC's because they are permanent codes.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 08-25-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    got it so the next upgrade for my truck is an obvious one, do i mount the wide band behind the Y pipe? and yes they are cat delete
    I will also post the math I used and Histograms I used.
    I have found that the video from Goat Rope Garage logging factory O2 sensors is the way to go the link is here
    I will also post files when i get home of Histograms i am using and tunes I have created.
    the Histograms used in this video are solid gold for anyone who is trying to tune with factory o2 sensors, not wide band.

Goat Rope Garage,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaRL3vSA-JI

After the y-pipe is too far away if you ask me. Stick it in bank one near the front o2 sensor.

Using the factory o2 sensors will only work in closed loop, so it only gets you so far. Once it's in open loop or power enrichment, fuel trims aren't used.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    so here is what i have so far the truck is running lean from what i can tell here is the log file and the adjusted log for trim on the VVE table

please feel free to look over these two and find if anything is wrong, remember I don't have a wideband.

please let me know if these do not work
    LTFT & MAF Graph.Graphs.xml
    4.0 tuned DFCO, COT, MAF enable 08-26-2020.hpt

Tuner in Training
    so here is the latest pull and tuning results from the results, if anyone can help me find out why there is a lean condition and why my MAF curve and VVE curve is so FLAT per say?

DFCO, COT, MAF disabled.

4.1 RPM Preessure change VE table Disabled, Tuned 08-27-2020.hpt

Data Log VE table 08-27-2020.hpl

is there something i missed to getting the MAF and VVE table dialed in?

Senior Tuner
    I applaud your efforts to tune the truck yourself. You'll learn a lot in the process.

However, I would like to suggest that you pay someone that tunes for a living to at least get you a good baseline for your application. It would still allow you to learn, but at a much faster pace. There are several of us on this site that can help you if you so desire.

There is a lot of opportunity for improvement on your current tune.
    I'll start with the basics.

Since you just have basic bolt-ons, your stock VVE tables will be pretty close. I would leave them alone for now.

This current tune has both the VVE and the MAF disabled. I would recommend reenabling the MAF for now.
    You'll also need to add Cyl Airmass Grams to your datalog. That will allow you to properly populate your long and short term fuel tables in your datalog.

Since it was throwing a PO430 code, I assume you have deleted the cats? If so, delete the cat tests and all of the downstream O2 sensor codes.

You'll find that there is a great deal of performance increase by tweaking the PE enrichment tables, and fueling. When you get the wideband, you can target approx 13.0:1 to start with. You'll usually see the best power on these DI engines somewhere around there. You can even go a bit leaner, but be careful if you plan on doing much heavy towing.

There is also a good deal of performance found in the torque manangement and DD tables. You can also reduce transmission torque management a bit and a optimize WOT shift points.

There isn't as much power to be found in the timing table on these. Depending on what fuel you're using, shoot for a max of 23-26 degrees at WOT. It'll be a little lower at peak torque. Monitor knock retard closely once you get above 25 degrees at WOT.

I hope this helps.
    Kevin

I agree that lean is mean and good for power but aim on the side of caution first while you figure things out. Maybe target 12.5-12.7ish first before leaning it closer to 13.0. You don't want to aim for 13.0 but hit 14.0 right away because it's that far off somehow.

Tuner in Training
    i added the cylinder air mass to the charts. this changed the LTFT and STFT chart readouts. still lean at low RPM but high rpm is good. anything from about 800-1600 rpm is lean. And man the numbers are reading different. Instead of 11-12 lean on average i am getting 4-6 lean on average.
    next I disabled all of the downstream O2 codes for sensor 2 and for the HO2S sensor 2, a good chunck of these codes populated in the DTC readout for the errors. still pulls code P0430, and P0141, P0036, & P0037
    finally I re-enabled the MAF sensor "I think this is what is causing the truck to start to lag behind". feels like i'm driving an anchor.
    My MAF sensor tuning is way, way off, especially since i added a custom cold air intake 4" tube diameter with MAF and K&N. my MAF has had a P0103 code since before the intake and a P0113. finally the barametric code is pulling a P2228.

"for all of you parts boiz" the 4" cold air tube is the perfect size for the 87MM throttle body on the L86 intake manifold I'll post pictures soon.

What in the tuned settings can I change to completely remove the use of down stream O2 sensors?
    2nd question do i need a new MAF or just Calibrate?
    Will adjusting these numbers fix my throttle response time?

I am going to be reviewing torque tuning tables and Transmission shifting tables tonight.
    If necessary i can post my most current pull!
    Last edited by Reaper0001; 09-02-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I have also noticed that on my DFCO my truck has something called enable/disable RPM TCC unlock? how does this affect DFCO to be enabled and disabled? can this affect MAF sensor tuning?
    thanks i can post a pic describing if needed

Tuner in Training
    here is the most recent tuning file I have and after following recommendations, I am getting 0's on the MAF scanner and the LTFT and STFT scanner.
    if someone could take a look at these files and check where the mistake in tuning is.
    here is a file of the most recent upload to the truck. If someone can point out the error that i have made in the closed loop system.
    Data Log 0maf 0LTFT 09-04-2020.hpl
    5.2 PE table adjustment 09-03-2020.hpt

Senior Tuner
    This datalog wasn't from this tune file. You might double-check to see if you have the tune files mislabeled. I'm not sure if you're trying to calibrate the MAF or the VVE? Or both?
    As in the last tune, this file also has both the the MAF sensor disabled (incorrectly) and the VVE disabled. You also have long term fuel trim disabled. That's why your LTFT table is 0. I would recommend enabling the MAF sensor and reenabling the LTFT's. Since you don't have a wide band, you can do some part throttle tuning using the LTFT's for now. It looks as if you have the disabled all of the rear O2 codes and cat codes, but don't forget to disable the catalyst warm up function.

Tuner in Training
    I will post my most recent logs and tunes I am working to get the MAF dialed in .
    I am using these steps for MAF tuning
    -Fuel, lean/fuel-saving, DOD dissable
    -Fuel, template control, COT disable
    -fuel, power enrichment, throttle, enable pedal, set all to 100%
    -Fuel, cutoff dfco, ECT, set to 350 degrees
    -Airflow, dynamic, high RPM disable/re-enable, set to 400/350.

Please let me know if I need to do something else

Tuner in Training
    here is where I'm at guys.

my truck wont idle, truck wont start. my set up is as follows.
    Chevy 5.3 Silverado stock internals. 6.2 intake manifold, 83mm throttle body, 4" pipe cold air intake, PCV breather valves(open), Texas speed long tube headers, off-road Y pipe, cat deleted, flow master super 10 muffler, Jasper transmission (also factory). not to shabby for a factory build, don't wanna go (CAM CRAZY) but if my cousin beats me with his trail duster then bring on the lift and issues.

A AFM wideband is a must and after this issue recently I will pick up a Fuel Pressure Gauge as well.

my PCV valves are currently open to the elements. I am working on drilling out the PCV valves to the cold air intake to allow crank case breathing better. will this fix the bad idle problems?
    i have adjusted a few number as you can see from this log to try and correct the idle but it basically idles at low RPM until it dies like this ___quick, start quick, slow, slower, turtle, dead!!!
    the other issue that I need to tackle is the Fuel Injectors. correct me if i am wrong but they are under the intake manifold and are a "b" to just "swap". Will bad fuel injectors pull a code? every time I adjust one of the tables the truck seems to go from one extreme to the other and is not even close to running correctly. its either over compensating with excess fuel "longer duration" or under compensating by not doing its job at higher RPM because of a stuck injector. I am out of town and would like to know how I can fix this by the end of the week before I am stuck in town, out of work.
    after replacing these component's i will be reverting back to a stock tune with numbers adjusted for the throttle body at 4118cfm and the cats and DOD deleted.

If anyone out there has a factory 6.2, L86 and would like to fill me in on the intake manifold volume that would be super helpful. This information is located under Engine, Airflow, Speed Density, Manifold Volume.

idle adjustments to try to get err to start, goat rope Gurage helped here shout out to that guy
    3.2 Maf Enable.hpt

Tuner in Training
    So are you saying your pcv system is sucking air from the atmosphere?? like as in unmetered air?

In your tune the first thing I noticed was the idle external load is way off. Bring it back stock. You shouldnt need to touch it with your mods. I think your issue is going to be the external load and bad fueling (lean). So I would get a wideband in or behind the header collector asap so you can dial in the maf and vve.
    2016 Silverado CCSB L83/6l80e
    TSP cam 218/226, .635"/.635", 113 LSA 10% FL
    TSP LT headers
    Circle D Billet converter

Tuner in Training
    Is it not possible to dial in the vve tables without a wide and o2 sensor? This is the next priority on my list but finances are an issue right now with everything

Tuner in Training
    So with all of the following disabled the truck still won't idle it seems like the truck is flooding itself with fuel 😳 🤔 cot disabled catalest test disabled, cat temp set to fail, senser2 DTC's set to no mil

Any idea why this is happening

Tuner in Training
    The truck is drowning itself in fuel 😳 I cant figure out why

Tuner in Training
    Revert back to your stock tune and start over.
    2016 Silverado CCSB L83/6l80e
    TSP cam 218/226, .635"/.635", 113 LSA 10% FL
    TSP LT headers
    Circle D Billet converter