Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 trailblazer ss 4l80e swap help please.

Tuner in Training

06 trailblazer ss 4l80e swap help please.

I'm new to this tuning. so any help is appreciated. the os# is 24235341 in tcm. I done installed trans. removed wires at trans connector k and v are running front speed sensor. move brown wire from u to s. moved wire in tcm 45 to 26 for speed sensor. I tried seg. swap from a 08 express 4.8 with 4l80e in it but then I had loss of comm with tcm and prnd shows 1st gear all the time. any help is appreciated thanks head of time.

I would use the original 60E TCM and buy or build a relay harness.

Tuner in Training
    Have you done that or know someone who has and it will work properly

Advanced Tuner
    Here's an old thread with more info that will help: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-t42-questions

Basically grab the 07 Suburban 6L +4L80E file from the repo then seg swap/write entire that to your TCM. It has the same OS as your 06 TBSS TCM, so start with a seg swap then write entire the TCM. All the wiring changes are needed to wire it as an 80E, so think you're good there.

The relay harness with stock TCM OS will work as well, you need to kill a few codes and follow the instructions for it.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Is there any difference if you do it using SPS with the Suburban VIN or does that create a mismatch that screws things up? I don't know if there's any VIN checking that happens between ECM/TCM. The current calibration is the same as what's in that repository file.

screenshot.28-08-2020 21.06.12.png

Tuner in Training
    this maybe a little long so sorry in advance. this is what I have done and what happened afterwards. after installing the trans I took the brown wire out of u terminal at trans connector and placed it in the s terminal. I took the k and v wires out and hooked up new input sensor connector to those wires and put into the front sensor. I than took the 07 suburban 2500 6.0 w4l80e file and downloaded it to laptop. opened up my tbss file and the 07 suburban file and segement swapped the trans file, trans diag. file and there was one other trans file. I segement swapped all three and saved as file with new 4l80e tune. I wrote entire on tcm only didn't write to ecm. cranked up and the park neutral indicator showed 1st gear no matter where you have it park reverse and so on. so I put in reverse and backed out of shop check engine light came on. check the code loss of comm. with tcm. I went ahead a took it down the road it shifted 1st to 2nd and tc came on then 3rd and 4th gear. came back looked around online for more help on it. found on a website that someone showing how to get it to work. it said that the wires I done was done right but It said a wire in the tcm had to be move also from 45 to 26 so I did that same thing when driving again. but on that website it said use an 08 express van and download it and licesne it to the vehicle. so I done that as it said costed two more credits to do that. cranked it up and the same thing happened with this way. showing 1st on ipc and loss of comm. with tcm. I drove it again the difference was tc came in like 10 mph while in first. it shifted all gear fine. I work for a chevy dealership for 15 years before getting out. I have access to sps. I was going to flash the tcm with the 07 suburban vin but I forgot on these you have to do both the ecm and tcm at the same time so I didn't do it thinking it would cause problems with the bcm having different vin in ecm and tcm. who knows I may have not done the segment swap right or the downloading and licensing from the website. thanks for yall trying to help me out with this. I get this figured out I should be good to go

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Is there any difference if you do it using SPS with the Suburban VIN or does that create a mismatch that screws things up? I don't know if there's any VIN checking that happens between ECM/TCM. The current calibration is the same as what's in that repository file.

screenshot.28-08-2020 21.06.12.png
    Good call out, I've found the VIN in the the trans controller doesn't usually matter on the older stuff (T42s included). If it becomes an issue, you can change it outside of HPT, I've not seen it be an issue on the TBSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracin1978 View Post
    this maybe a little long so sorry in advance. this is what I have done and what happened afterwards. after installing the trans I took the brown wire out of u terminal at trans connector and placed it in the s terminal. I took the k and v wires out and hooked up new input sensor connector to those wires and put into the front sensor. I than took the 07 suburban 2500 6.0 w4l80e file and downloaded it to laptop. opened up my tbss file and the 07 suburban file and segement swapped the trans file, trans diag. file and there was one other trans file. I segement swapped all three and saved as file with new 4l80e tune. I wrote entire on tcm only didn't write to ecm. cranked up and the park neutral indicator showed 1st gear no matter where you have it park reverse and so on. so I put in reverse and backed out of shop check engine light came on. check the code loss of comm. with tcm. I went ahead a took it down the road it shifted 1st to 2nd and tc came on then 3rd and 4th gear. came back looked around online for more help on it. found on a website that someone showing how to get it to work. it said that the wires I done was done right but It said a wire in the tcm had to be move also from 45 to 26 so I did that same thing when driving again. but on that website it said use an 08 express van and download it and licesne it to the vehicle. so I done that as it said costed two more credits to do that. cranked it up and the same thing happened with this way. showing 1st on ipc and loss of comm. with tcm. I drove it again the difference was tc came in like 10 mph while in first. it shifted all gear fine. I work for a chevy dealership for 15 years before getting out. I have access to sps. I was going to flash the tcm with the 07 suburban vin but I forgot on these you have to do both the ecm and tcm at the same time so I didn't do it thinking it would cause problems with the bcm having different vin in ecm and tcm. who knows I may have not done the segment swap right or the downloading and licensing from the website. thanks for yall trying to help me out with this. I get this figured out I should be good to go
    Can you post your original 70E tune, the Burb file you seg swapped, and your final seg swapped tune? If you're getting a comms loss, that usually occurs when the CAN comm settings arent playing nicely between the ECM and TCM.

The info you found online should be correct for the wiring. The 08 Van works with the 08 TBSS E67 (Express uses E38 fwiw), but GM changed the CAN comms between 07 and 08 for the TBSS. I played with running an 06 GTO TCM OS in my 08 TBSS years ago, but had CAN comm errors with the 08 TBSS E67 OS + 06 GTO TCM OS that were resolved by switching to an 07 TBSS E67 OS. (It worked, had some oddities in the driveability after tuning so I switched back to the factory 08 ECM + TCM OS'.) Running an 06 TBSS E40 OS + 08 Express T42 OS will not work from a CAN comms perspective, which you confirmed in your testing.

I wouldn't worry about the VIN in the TCM right now, the truck will run/drive with a VIN mismatch between the ECM and TCM. Better off focusing on getting the CAN comms and DTCs ironed out. What DTCs are you getting?
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...

Tuner in Training
    first one should be original one. second is 07 suburban. and third is seg. swap. if I attached them correctly
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    only code was u100? something which is loss of communication with tcm. that it no other codes I did delete the 3-2 code and tcc code that turn light on see the 80s don't use them

Advanced Tuner
    Hmmm looking at the files you posted, the segment numbers of the "4l80e swap test tune" don't match the 07 Burb file, so I redid the segment swap as "tune_80e_001". I took it a step further and played around making some changes with the newly seg swapped file as "tune_80e_001_tuned". I take no responsibility for the tuning in these files, the tuned one is based on your original file using Bluecat's trans tool and a few other adjustments. Go through the updates via the Changelog and compare to your tune and the base segment swapped tune for more info.

Start by doing a Write Entire with the base segment swapped file "tune_80e_001", see if the cluster works, and if you have any DTCs. If it still doesnt work, read the tune out again so we can see if the changes are being correctly flashed or not.

High level changes in the 001_tuned file:
    Set shift pattern to X only
    Set Shift Pattern Type A to Normal
    Set TUTD to factory TBSS settings (from original tune)
    Set Pressure Pattern Select -> Pattern A Shift: Pattern X
    Disabled Abuse Mode (matched original tune)
    Multiplied factory 80e Pattn Y TQ Reduction by .25
    Copied tuned Pattn Y to Pattn X
    Roughed in shift points, TCC lock/unlock with Bluecat trans tool
    Set shift times to .125
    Speedo section: Copied original tune params back in except for ISS
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Erik~

Tuner in Training
    I was trying to open the files you sent but it showing unsupported or an update is needed. I updated my software to 4.6.3. still do the same thing. maybe I'm doing something wrong here?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracin1978 View Post
    I was trying to open the files you sent but it showing unsupported or an update is needed. I updated my software to 4.6.3. still do the same thing. maybe I'm doing something wrong here?
    There must be a difference in file format between 4.6.3 and 4.7.685, just checked and that's the version I've got installed and used to make the changes (looks like 4.7.722 is available now). Can you try downloading the latest beta and see if that works?
    ~Erik~

Tuner in Training
    how do I download the new beta. I try to download and it still shows 4.6.3 as my updated version

Tuner in Training
    and I still can open the files you sent

The Beta adds two new shortcuts to the desktop, the old stable release install is left unaffected. You have to open the beta using the new shortcut, then select the tune file to open from inside the editor.

Advanced Tuner
    On the main HPTuners site, under Downloads, select VCM Beta instead of the stable release. As blindsquirrel said, you'll end up with the public version and beta version on your PC, open VCM Editor (Beta) then open the tune files.
    ~Erik~

Advanced Tuner
    Have you been able to download the Beta and test the file out?
    ~Erik~

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for just now getting back to this. I ended up getting tcm and harness from lc32 company and the tbss worked like a charm. No lights on shifts was spot on

I fought same issue for months and the issue ended up being a VSS issue. Had to enable VSS in speedometer calibration and set it up like the 08 express van.IMG_20210215_141538.jpg