Thread: HPTuners initial connection to 2013 Audi A6 BiTdi for ZF8 calibration

Potential Tuner

HPTuners initial connection to 2013 Audi A6 BiTdi for ZF8 calibration

Hi All,

SoI'm looking to use my MPVI2 to connect to my 2013 Audi A6 BiTdi to map the ZF8 gearbox. But I'm running into a problem straight away.

Vehicle Reader.jpg

I'm not sure what to select from the hardware drop down menu, I cannot see an easy option for the Audi ZF8 gearbox.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Rich

Tuner
    You may have to contact HP support and see if they can add your gearbox. While a lot of the ZF8 transmissions in Audis are the same (or darn near the same) mechanically, there are a lot of different software calibrations out there, and they may not have an exact match for yours, which is why you're seeing that popup.

Potential Tuner
    I suspected as such so thanks for confirming. I recon I’ll be in the same situation as Sparcplug where Audi have remapped the gearbox as part of the emissions fix
    Rich

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TVR_Ric View Post
    Hi All,

SoI'm looking to use my MPVI2 to connect to my 2013 Audi A6 BiTdi to map the ZF8 gearbox. But I'm running into a problem straight away.

Vehicle Reader.jpg

I'm not sure what to select from the hardware drop down menu, I cannot see an easy option for the Audi ZF8 gearbox.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Rich
    Hi Rich

Have you had any luck with this one? I have got the same hardware config as you and am wondering if it is worth investing in the HP tuners software

thanks

Potential Tuner
    Yes, ticket raised, had to send debug files as TCM no even found on the CANbus. Had email Friday saying couple of days required to get something back to me. Fingers crossed

Potential Tuner
    Quick update, HPTuners have managed to set me up with a fix via the latest Beta software, I've sent them the Info files but I am now able to read the calibration from the TCM and also view via the Scanner. They had never seen this with Audi ZF8 TCM before so hopefully it'll be a fix for others too.
    Rich

Potential Tuner
    interested. Would love to hear your experience on the Audi/ZF 8-speed software setup

Potential Tuner
    Sorry, rather new to this. So V8Rich got his scanner connected to his car and (possibly) read out the calibrations.
    What is next? Use the editor to change parameters or does the data need a definition file first?

Struggling to understand how this equipment and software sells and works and would like to see evidence before I had over the cash

Tuner
    As far as selling goes, you need to buy the MPVI2 interface, and enough credits to at least tune your transmission. Unless your engine is already tuned I'd highly recommend buying enough credits to tune the engine also, as there's a lot of interaction between the two.

Then you download and install the software, and maybe interface drivers? I can't remember if drivers are needed.

Then you connect the interface to your car and your computer, and "read" the data from the relevant control modules. You'll need an active internet connection to do that, and when the software reads your control modules, it usually does not actually read the data in the module... it reads an identifying number from the module, then connects to HP's servers and downloads the correct file from there.

Then it's on to tuning... you tweak the values you want, and when you're ready you flash the edited files to the controllers in the car. It's been a while but I think the first time you do that it'll ask you if you want to use your credits for the file, and from that point forward the credits are associated with that car's data. You do not have to buy more credits when you make additional edits and reflash.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks @Elaw

Hmm. Not so sure about the " not actually reading the eeprom." bit. Is that safe?

Ok so regarding the tuning, are all maps already identified and correctly labelled and is there additional info available through the app directly or do you have to look everything up before you even know what each table means?

Sorry, coming at it from a homebrew WinOLS setup with butchered definition files.
    Thanks