Thread: 2nd Gen Ram 1500 Tuning

2nd Gen Ram 1500 Tuning

Since we can't upload tunes to the repository anymore.
    And since I haven't seen much of anyone tuning these with HP.
    I will be posting some of my progress, along with questions.

Thank you
    We like the cars;
    The cars that go "vroom"

1999 Dodge Ram, Stock tune.hpt
    1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 5speed Manual.

My Vehicle Specifc-Stock Tune

Might not be true stock was told it had 91 Octane Diablo tune when I bought it; in which it seems true as it does not like lower octane gas.
    Still seems gutless until 3500+ RPMs, when its power really starts to kick in.

Its a beat up houndsman hunting truck and it rarely sees the higher RPMs, and my uses need more lower end grunt power. I understand I cant do that with a tune alone, but the current one is defiantly lacking the get up and go incentives.
    We like the cars;
    The cars that go "vroom"

Tuner in Training
    yes you can the timing on these are very low.i have raised mine 8 degs. with no knock(audible) amd definitely woke it up also changed t.m. to take out some of the granny features.btw thats on 87 octane driving conservative.used 93 at full throttle and no knock at all.
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9
    which is my latest toy to tune

Tuner
    Magnum engines had chronic issues with spark knock due to carbon deposits in the combustion chamber as well as from the actual burning of oil vapors due to the plenum gasket failing. Chrysler?s fix was to pull a significant amount of ignition timing with updated calibrations. Check the service bulletins for your vehicle. The problem is, unless your engine is in good condition, ie no carbon deposits / oil vapors, advancing the timing will cause knock. That?s why some are able to advance timing with no issue and some fight knock. The factory ?death flash? made these engine lethargic .

Advanced Tuner
    MOPAR_P04876898.hpt

There's a Mopar Performance PCM file for a 1998 5.9 Grand Cherokee for comparison.

5.9 auto and 5.2 stick shift might not want the same timing, but it should get you in the ballpark.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DJCandyman View Post
    1999 Dodge Ram, Stock tune.hpt
    1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 5speed Manual.

My Vehicle Specifc-Stock Tune

Might not be true stock was told it had 91 Octane Diablo tune when I bought it; in which it seems true as it does not like lower octane gas.
    Still seems gutless until 3500+ RPMs, when its power really starts to kick in.

Its a beat up houndsman hunting truck and it rarely sees the higher RPMs, and my uses need more lower end grunt power. I understand I cant do that with a tune alone, but the current one is defiantly lacking the get up and go incentives.
    I know this is an old thread, but im looking for a 5.9 manual trans tune. did your truck have a manual transmission?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwg86 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but im looking for a 5.9 manual trans tune. did your truck have a manual transmission?
    pm me your tune file and i will take a look at it i have my truck functioning with a 5.9 manual trans.
    01 dodge dakota 5.9 swapped nv3500, ported stock heads, m1 intake, 220 220 custom grind comp cams, 10.3:1 compression tuned by me with hp tuners.

15 jeep jk 3.6 lifted on 33s 87 octane custom tune by me with hp tuners

04 dodge dakota 4.7 air ram heads, 08 cams, 08 intake manifold, 10.5:1 compression, 341whp custom tuned by me with hp tuners.