Thread: newbie - stand alone problem - high idle with 2002 5.3L on test stand

Potential Tuner

newbie - stand alone problem - high idle with 2002 5.3L on test stand

This is my first stand alone project and first time using hptuners - so I may have a problem that is simple to you but not to me!

The engine is a 2002 5.3L from a yukon.
    No egr
    Cable throttle
    Flex fuel
    Bone stock as removed from the truck
    Harness is not cut - I left the connectors on so I can add a trans later if need be, etc.
    Engine is on a test stand
    Used michigan motorworks fuse/relay kit. All pink wires hooked up to respective relays. All orange on continuous power relays.
    Fuel pump acts as it should - primes a couple seconds when key is switched on.

I used hptuners to deactivate the vats - but that is the only change I made to the pcm. I'm sure I will need to deactivate more things - downstream cats etc. Please advise on what I need to deactivate. I also read that I need to change abuse parameters for the stand alone to run properly. Please advise on this as well. Also - do I need to deactivate the flex fuel sensor? As that is not hooked up.

Right now the main problem is when I start it - it idles up at a high rpm. I checked for any possible ports being open that could create a vacuum leak. The tube to the emissions tank is plugged - didn't find any other ports on the manifold. I looked around the throttle body for potential leaks - didn't see anything unusual. Engine ran fine when in the yukon.

I checked fuel pressure during key on prime. It seemed normal - I don't remember exactly but somewhere in 48 to 55 psi range. And this engine does have the pressure regulator that works off of manifold vacuum to vary the fuel pressure.

All exhaust manifold ports are warm - so I assume all cylinders are getting fuel and spark.

Am I missing something I need to deactivate in the pcm due to this engine now being out of the vehicle and on the test stand???
    Should I focus on potential vacuum leaks???
    Or???

Potential Tuner
    Found the problem.
    It was a vacuum leak. Brake booster hose was not plugged.
    Now it idles down perfect.

I still need some stand alone help...
    Do I need to deactivate the flex fuel in the pcm?
    Do I need to deactivate the downstream cats in the pcm?
    How do I adjust the "abuse" settings?
    How to verify the rev limiter settings?
    Anything else I need to do for a stand alone? - currently no transmission attached.

Any help or links would be much appreciated!

Set the stoich table to 14.68 for all cells and the flex fuel will never work again. Disable the codes as well, set them to no error reported.

Disable COT (cat over temp) if the cats and rear o2 sensors are gone. That is a drop down enable/disable, very simple. Go into the DTC's page and disable all rear o2 sensor codes and cat codes, set them all to no error reported. Same with all EVAP codes, set them to no error reported.

The abuse settings are in the torque mngt tab. Change it to 7,000rpm and 0mph.

Find the cut-off/dfco tab, the rev limiter settings are there.

Disable all transmission codes if you are never going to run a stock transmission again.

You need to poke around the file yourself, that is the only way to figure stuff out. Watch video's or read the forum, most of the information in out there.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.