Thread: Updating an old tune on a LS2 GTO (E40)

Advanced Tuner

Updating an old tune on a LS2 GTO (E40)

This is on my automatic '06 GTO with a D1-SC(~6-8psi), 1 3/4 LT headers, 60lb injectors, walbro 255, and KB BAP. I had the car professionally tuned a number of years ago and it always ran fine. I was never happy with 1/4 mile times but never had the chance to change anything back then. I do not have the stock tune for the car so my as found tune is whatever the tuner originally wrote in. I recently had the time to start getting back into the car and I was comparing this to a number of tunes from the repository and elsewhere. I noticed not much was changed from the stock tune examples I found. I have attached the as found as well as a long scan of the as found tune.

My first change was to find the injector information. I have done that and input it following the DVD. From what I read I needed to re-calibrate the MAF/VE tables if my original injector data was not input correctly. So that is were I am at now. I've gone through a few iterations of MAF adjustment (Err% x 1/2). I am looking to see if I am on the right track and wondering why my MAF curve is slowly starting to resemble the original curve. If you look at the as found there is a odd move around 3,250Hz that I have not been able to find information on. I smoothed this out but it comes back each time I adjust. It also does not look like the main VE table was touched at all so I would like to get the MAF dialed in correctly and attempt to generate the GMVE from the data as a starting point.

I am logging with a AEM 03-0300 WB placed a few inches after the front O2 sensor. I did not use heavily filtered scan data to this point but going forward I plan to filter on throttle position following the HPtuners guide example to filter out the transitional errors I am picking up.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Trying to learn step by step so I don't really know the exact questions to ask yet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Holy cow, be careful man. You will pop a piston running that lean on 6-8psi of boost.

You need a 2 bar MAP sensor too and you really should upgrade to the 2 bar OS. You will not be able to tune the VE for boost without the 2 bar map and 2 bar OS.

The power enrichment needs way more fuel added to it to be safe. You should be commanding a minimum AFR of at least 11.8 or 11.5 while you fix stuff. Right now you are commanding into the upper 12's and low 13's under boost, that is not good.

With a blower it's better to use the MAP kpa as the enable settings for power enrichment too. Have the PE map kpa at 90kpa and the boost enrichment (when you upgrade to the 2 bar OS) be at 110kpa. Lower the pedal enable down to 20-30% at lower rpm.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Holy cow, be careful man. You will pop a piston running that lean on 6-8psi of boost.

You need a 2 bar MAP sensor too and you really should upgrade to the 2 bar OS. You will not be able to tune the VE for boost without the 2 bar map and 2 bar OS.

The power enrichment needs way more fuel added to it to be safe. You should be commanding a minimum AFR of at least 11.8 or 11.5 while you fix stuff. Right now you are commanding into the upper 12's and low 13's under boost, that is not good.

With a blower it's better to use the MAP kpa as the enable settings for power enrichment too. Have the PE map kpa at 90kpa and the boost enrichment (when you upgrade to the 2 bar OS) be at 110kpa. Lower the pedal enable down to 20-30% at lower rpm.
    I have the 2bar in hand and was planning to switch after I got the base setup for the change in data I made. The WOT pull in that scan was me looking at Hz and g/s MAF readings to see if I had any room left... None really. The original tuner never even mentioned it to me.

The power enrichment I will change to 11.5-11.8. I see many different configurations of this though. Some are the same across the entire rpm range and some step up or down with rpm. It's not clear to me what the better approach is here, I will start with 3k and on at 11.8 and adjust the other items you noted.

Thank you.

Advanced Tuner
    Wanted to update this post with some progress and a few more questions.

Changes from As Found/First post:
    -2 bar sensor.
    -2 bar OS.
    -PE/Boost PE updated.
    -Switched the WB02 to read from the AC sensor instead of the serial output.
    -I also began filtering my logs more heavily.
    -Dynamic airflow settings set back to stock.
    -Various changes to VE, idle, trans, Eng Diag, & timing.

Based on a number of good/goodish files I found and factory supercharged files I looked through I decided to smooth out the VE table a few times before I began AFR adjustments, first log ending up 8% lean in the 800-2800 rpm/38-94kpa areas. In addition to the %AFR adjustments I also heavily utilized ((CylAirmas * MAT.K * 1000)/MAP.kpa). That formula generally calculated a bit rich so I began correcting it by 1/2% AFR. At this point I was able to get some 1/4 mile passes in over the warm weekend we had. I have attached a tune file and corresponding log (GTO Run 4/GTO Run 4 Log) of the best pass. I believe about 1 degree of timing was pulled due to high IAT (heatsoak issues) on this pass. This has always been a problem so I am going to try one of the Rife IAT sensors to get a quicker reading of the actual air flow. The MPH was 107.50 which is right where the car has always trapped. This was with about 2-3 degrees less timing compared to the original shop tune.

I was fairly happy with where I was at this point but you will see a slightly reshaped VE table in the GTO REP tune that is attached. After a few more AFR adjustments I switched back to CL and started using the MAF-VVE tuning method that was posted by smokeshow recently. A few iterations of this went well I believe. I will need to finish up the boost VE in the spring since it looks like I keep hitting the airflow limit of the MAF.

A few questions that came up during all of this:
    -In CL with DFCO enabled I am still getting some decel popping.
    --Is this due to the lower area of the VE table corrections I made? There is a bump in the decel areas that was generated based on my logs.
    --Should I ignore this leanness when making changes and just flatten out that area?

-Timing
    --I made some changes to this for smoothness. Any thoughts on this please don't hold back.
    --Would there be any benefit to changing the RPM axis to end at 6800 or 7000 (and then interpolate down to 0 rpm) instead of 8192?

-Idle tables
    --The car will not idle below ~600-650 no matter what I have done. When coasting I can get it to idle at 550. Below ~3mph it always jumps back to ~600-650 rpm then back down to 550 when coasting. I can coast around my entire block at 550 but not when stopped. Am I missing an idle table somewhere? (I have 12080, 33601, 33600, 12104)
    --I have since changed all tables back to the original shop tune
    --All idle area timing is similar in profile and it idles nicely at 650, but the stock files I look at all say it should be idling at 550?

-Transmission
    --I used the BlueCat tool to setup the transmission shifting slightly different. Which, coupled with the cooler weather led to the reduced engine power issue.
    --The reason for changing the trans was to get some better 2-3 shifts. If flares randomly at low load and the 2-3 WOT shift always seems to be sluggish. This is still a work in progress.
    --I have attached a log of the most recent REP event as well as the tune that was loaded in the car. (This is the main file I am using now.)

-P0068 MAF/MAP Correlation
    --I tried calibrating the available tables but keep setting this code.
    --The only way I can think to eliminate this code but still keep it active is to set the enable RPM a few hundred over the 6,600 fuel cut RPM?

Any help/advice is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here are a few things that I see. Under Torque Mgt--ETC Limits--change the whole chart to 100 except the first row across--leave that 0's.
    TCS Method--Disable all three if you don't want traction control kicking in.
    Fuel--Temp Control--COT to disable if you don't have cats.
    Base Running Airflow--400 column--change to 8.85, 600 column--change to 9.25, 800 column--change to 9.77, 1000 column--change to 10.00 and see if that doesn't help with idle.
    Idle Spark--change the 8's in the chart to 14. It should run much smoother. Then you will have to smooth out the rest of the table and check coastdown spark. If you have a stock cam, your adaptive spark should be ok.
    0068 should be set to 8192
    I didn't see a wideband in channels?
    You are always going to get decel popping
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Lakegoat, I am using the AC Pressure sensor signal for my WB reading. I have a 03-0300 plumbed to the sensor wire using this math (100*(((.1621*[7101])+.4990)-[50118.238])/[50118.238])). It has a better resolution than the serial output.
    -I am still running cats and I disable this when creating logs.
    -The TC has not interfered that I am aware of. Does this still have an effect when TC is switched off with the button?
    -I'll look into the ETC limits you suggested as well.
    -Idle
    --Yes, it is a stock cam.
    --So, the "Run 4" file were my old settings used towards the end of my attempt at trying to smooth idle out and get it down to 550. If you look at the "GTO REP" file attached I did change all the idle settings back to how I found them as I was sick of the idle jumping up when coming to a stop/coasting. Also, the spark changes went from 8 to about 14 and that did smooth it out a good amount as you said it might.
    --Base airflow was set back to stock in the "GTO REP" file. I will give your amounts a try. They are close to my measured idle amounts actually.
    -P0068
    --Any downside to setting it to 7,000 and keeping some semblance of protection?

No problem with using the TC button instead of disabling.
    You can set it to 7000 if you like. Sounds like you have it whipped
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8