Thread: Engine swap

Potential Tuner

Question Engine swap

Hey guys, Im planning an engine swap on my 2005 silverado 4.3 2wd. I have a 2002 5.3 I will be beefing up a bit. My question is am I able to load a tune from the '02 5.3 pcm onto the '05 4.3 pcm? Ive done a fair bit of googling but I see many mixed answers. Any help for a noob would be appreciated.

Unfortunately that is something that won't work.

A 2002 computer is a P01 controller and your 2005 truck is using a P59 controller. They switched in 2003 to the P59's.

There is one more hurdle you will run into here. The 4.3's still ran a cable throttle body where as the 4.8/5.3/6.0's all switched to a drive by wire throttle body. Your trucks computer will already have the IAC drivers required to run a cable throttle body but the tune you have to flash into the computer to make the V8 work will be for a DBW throttle. You will have to go back into the system options on the tune and deselect the electronic throttle control for it to work right, it's an easy few clicks but would puzzle most people.

So in short you need to flash the computer with a V8 operating system that works on the P59. Picking a 2005 V8 file would be good. Do this with a GM tool first so you don't waste money on credits and or brick your stock computer doing something wrong with HP Tuners.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Okay so would it the be possibly to just use the '02 pcm with the '05 harness? Or better off flashing v8 file for the p59?
    The '02 5.3 is also drive by cable.

The harness's are different between the 1999-2002 trucks and 2003-2007 trucks. I don't know exactly what you will require to make that V8 work. You may need to use a V8 harness/fuse block from a 2003+ truck.

There are threads on some forums about doing that kind of swap. I think performancetrucks.net has a thread about doing 4.3 to V8 swaps.

It's easier to flash a V8 file into the 2005 computer you already have.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Okay, thanks for the info. I will dig around on there.