Thread: Temporary Wideband install question

Tuner in Training

Temporary Wideband install question

I have the AEM 30-0334 x series wideband. I've done narrowband tuning and now am going to temp install the wideband 02 sensor replacing one of my narrowband sensors. My question is since i will then be adjusting based on this sensor...what happens when i revert back and install the narrowband sensor. Since the ecu will then be taking readings from the narrowband and making fueling adjustments accordingly, won't that nulify anything done with the settings done with the temp wideband install. I must be missing something here, but i don't see how a temp use of a wideband would work when reverting back to the narrowband. Just a bit perplexed.

Tuner in Training
    Install another bung so you can run both o2 sensors.

The use of the wideband is so you can fix the fueling so that when you go back to using o2 sensor they have to do less work.

Like say before the o2 sensors were all over the place, pulling 15% fuel down low and being 10% under heavy load. You'd use the wideband to fix those area's and bring everything back in line. Then when the o2 sensor are in place again they should probably be off by ~3% of zero now because of the changes done with your wideband sensor.

Plus the o2 sensors are not used in open loop/Power enrichment. You'd have no idea if the air fuel ratio was way lean or rich in power enrichment using just the o2 sensors. You may be asking for 12.5 AFR but the real AFR might be 11.7.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks 5FDP. Appreciate the clarification. I've read many hundreds of posts and have taken an online course but have not had that explained before