Thread: Why is my commanded 12.9 at idle?

Advanced Tuner

Why is my commanded 12.9 at idle?

Trying to tune by ve error but the percentage of correction doesn't make sense... unless the AFR error ratio is using the commanded afr...
    Im at 13.6 by my afr gauge but the ve error graph says 6.4 instead of showing a negative which it should to be pulling fuel to get to 14.3 which is what stoich is .. but I look at the commanded afr in the table while Im loggin and its reading 12.5-12.9 at idle ... ??

lost here ... help ?

99 camaro running a speed density
    -2% TO 13.2.hpt
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-01-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Need the log and tune.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    lost the log file, didnt save it..lol... to late to start it up right now so I'll log and post tommorrow. but I did look at a previous log file and it was readinig at 14.4 where I have stoich set too...... not sure what happened but I'll try it again tommorow

thank you for the reply

The open loop stoich table is not set to 1.00 at operating temp like it needs to be.

With the way it currently is in that tune it will always command a richer AFR that stoich because the values are greater than 1.00. Change all the cells past about 130-140 degree coolant temps to 1.00. You should also hand smooth the open loop eq ratio so that it's a smoother transition to 1.00.

You will have to go back over the VE table and fix it. That should stop the terrible dip you have in it right now.

Fix the power enrichment EQ ratio too. You do not want to to go from 12.0 to 12.8 to 11.1 and back to 12.0 in a matter of 1,600 rpm. That will make tuning the VE hell and it will never be smooth because you are going from one end of the spectrum to the other so quickly. The huge lean to rich spike in 800rpm is not good. This is why your VE goes from 65 to 85 all the way to 101 from 3,600-4,400rpm.

Flat line the whole thing at 1.200 while you dial everything in. Then lean it out to something better once you are done.

This must be one hell of a stroker engine with the cylinder volume like that.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The open loop stoich table is not set to 1.00 at operating temp like it needs to be.

With the way it currently is in that tune it will always command a richer AFR that stoich because the values are greater than 1.00. Change all the cells past about 130-140 degree coolant temps to 1.00. You should also hand smooth the open loop eq ratio so that it's a smoother transition to 1.00.

You will have to go back over the VE table and fix it. That should stop the terrible dip you have in it right now.

Fix the power enrichment EQ ratio too. You do not want to to go from 12.0 to 12.8 to 11.1 and back to 12.0 in a matter of 1,600 rpm. That will make tuning the VE hell and it will never be smooth because you are going from one end of the spectrum to the other so quickly. The huge lean to rich spike in 800rpm is not good. This is why your VE goes from 65 to 85 all the way to 101 from 3,600-4,400rpm.

Flat line the whole thing at 1.200 while you dial everything in. Then lean it out to something better once you are done.

This must be one hell of a stroker engine with the cylinder volume like that.
    Thank you, I knew I missed something... much appreciated... trying to tune this beast once and for all

yes 4.250 stroke 4.135 bore
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-02-2020 at 12:56 AM.

Every single log is automatically saved in any relatively recent software version. Look in My Documents>HP Tuners>VCM Scanner>Logs

Advanced Tuner
    ok.
    So I set that eq multiplier to 1 and voila commanded is corrected, also bumped the idle up vs coolant temp when its cold..
    seemed to idle not to bad after it warmed up. Then I logged a little drive to see where its at and get started with the ve tuning

9-2 idle 1st.hpl

9-2 drive.hpl

9-2, open loop.hpt

If anyone can figure out why my iac corrected graph isn't working I would be most appreciative
    thank you for all the help

this is a 457 ls2 in a 99 Camaro SD only.. no maf 6 speed

Ok question here... I tune the ve when its at operating temps... the idle is lean until its get to temp and then its slightly rich... if I use my 2nd log file and correct the ve table by multiplying % then at cold idle I'm going to be lean and its already lean at idle.. ??
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-02-2020 at 01:31 PM.

You only needed to set it to 1.00 above 130 degree coolant temp, not the entire table. I'd bring your idle timing down some too, it doesn't need to idle at 26-27 degrees, 18-20 is a better ball park.

With those large injectors you should also go into the transient section cut the min fuel milligrams by half or more, this should stop the rich idle and stop it from trying to pull fuel out of the VE table when wideband tuning.

And the longer the data the log, at least 15 to 20 minutes of idle/driving to get the most data. Also make sure to click smooth selection after each change and do the paste special multiply by half. Doing just the regular multiply will make too much of a change at once and you will over correct and be going back and forth fighting it.

Advanced Tuner
    the timing .. I need to read and understand that whole airmass thing .. I see its 26 then it changes as the cylinder airmass gets greater

the transient?

you mean the .046 ?
    thank you
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-02-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Yes, the timing changes with rpm and cylinder airmass. It's going to follow your idle timing and high/low octane tables as well as your other spark correction tables. Just lower the idle area's and the same spots in the high/low tables.

The Min Fuel Milligrams is set to .046, so yeah that is what I mean. Change it to .020 for starters.