Thread: Limp Mode - Whipple 4.5L with Big Oval

Senior Tuner

Limp Mode - Whipple 4.5L with Big Oval

Back in 2017-2018 when the 4.5L whipple with large oval first came out, a lot of folks were hitting major limp mode issues with the whipples on the hellcats. I sifted through those threads, tried to find what folks were doing to resolve it, but nothing was outright posted. I have been banging my head against the wall trying to see where i am hitting a limit, but I hit it hard on the dyno yesterday. Around 6200rpms in a pull i got the red lightning bolt and car was in fuel cutoff limp mode (thought i lost the motor!!!).

I am pushing north of 21psi (4" upper, 10% lower) on a 426ci, on Q16. was around 1050whp at 6,000rpms just before it fell on its face.

I know the mantra of posting tunes, mine is a bit proprietary and still a mess/work in progress, so prefer not to mass blast it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Back in 2017-2018 when the 4.5L whipple with large oval first came out, a lot of folks were hitting major limp mode issues with the whipples on the hellcats. I sifted through those threads, tried to find what folks were doing to resolve it, but nothing was outright posted. I have been banging my head against the wall trying to see where i am hitting a limit, but I hit it hard on the dyno yesterday. Around 6200rpms in a pull i got the red lightning bolt and car was in fuel cutoff limp mode (thought i lost the motor!!!).

I am pushing north of 21psi (4" upper, 10% lower) on a 426ci, on Q16. was around 1050whp at 6,000rpms just before it fell on its face.

I know the mantra of posting tunes, mine is a bit proprietary and still a mess/work in progress, so prefer not to mass blast it just yet.
    i really hope you find the issue and fix it then post it here for the future tuners to reference not like these other posts

Tuner in Training
    Did you change the min desired throttle value under airflow > electric throttle .

Tuner in Training
    Also check rationality values under engine diagnosis