Thread: LM-2 disappears when I begin recording

LM-2 disappears when I begin recording

I've searched high and low, and I cannot find a solution to this issue, please help!

I have an Innovate LM-2 hooked up via serial cable that was working great a month ago. The channel appears on the list, I transformed it and the scanner was matching the WB display. Got some issues fixed on the car and was going to go out and work on my MAF table when now every time I hit record the WB disappears from the channel list. I thried restarting the computer with the cable connected, with the cable disconnected, plugged it in and out, restarted the scanner, etc. I cannot figure out what I may be doing wrong that was fine a month ago. I even resync'd in the software just to be safe.

I'm using an MPVI with version 4.4.4. Same setup and car that I used last month.

Any suggestions?

Tuner in Training
    So my whole channel line disappears when I press record is this what happens to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
    So my whole channel line disappears when I press record is this what happens to you.
    Yes, the whole line goes blank.

I'm still having the problem. I tried my old laptop with an older HP Tuners version and it seemed to allow the WB to remain in the channel list while scanning. Unfortunately my old laptop is not very reliable, it radomly turns off with motion, so not be suited to sitting in the passenger seat while driving.

I bought a different USB to Serial adapter and tried that with my new laptop, but it would still not connect. The LM-2 would connect with Logworks, so the adapter seems to be working. I had read somewhere that the scanner will poll COM ports looking for the WB and if it could not locate it then it would disappear from the channel list. I tried deleting all my COM ports, assigning the WB to COM3, then COM1 but still no luck.

Is there a magic sequence of how to open the software and plug in the WB and the MPVI to get this to work? It used to work and nothing that I'm aware of has changed hardware or software wise.

I guess as a last resort I can try to find the install file on my old laptop and roll back the software version on my newer laptop and see if that makes a difference.

One last question. If I cannot get this to work, is there another WB that I could use via the serial input in the scanner that I can move in between vehicles?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO View Post
    I'm still having the problem. I tried my old laptop with an older HP Tuners version and it seemed to allow the WB to remain in the channel list while scanning. Unfortunately my old laptop is not very reliable, it radomly turns off with motion, so not be suited to sitting in the passenger seat while driving.

I bought a different USB to Serial adapter and tried that with my new laptop, but it would still not connect. The LM-2 would connect with Logworks, so the adapter seems to be working. I had read somewhere that the scanner will poll COM ports looking for the WB and if it could not locate it then it would disappear from the channel list. I tried deleting all my COM ports, assigning the WB to COM3, then COM1 but still no luck.

Is there a magic sequence of how to open the software and plug in the WB and the MPVI to get this to work? It used to work and nothing that I'm aware of has changed hardware or software wise.

I guess as a last resort I can try to find the install file on my old laptop and roll back the software version on my newer laptop and see if that makes a difference.

One last question. If I cannot get this to work, is there another WB that I could use via the serial input in the scanner that I can move in between vehicles?
    I've been having the same issue with my LC-2, Its connected through a USB-Serial adapter and will connect with LogWorks just like yours.

I updated the drivers for my USB-Serial adapter and now it will function if I open the scanner and hit record. If I stop the recording and start again the LC-2 disappears. The only way I can get it to come back is by restarting my computer.

So I think I've figured out a sequence that works with my old laptop running 4.4.2. I do the following:

- Start the car.
    - Pug the USB from the LM-2 into the laptop.
    - Plug the USB from the MPVI into the laptop.
    - Start the scanner.
    - Press the spacebar to start recording.

If I connect to the vehicle via the scanner then start scanning, the WB channel will disappear. So far this sequence has worked.

Well I'm running into this issue again. My old laptop pretty much bit the dust as it's having problems powering on and I will not trust it to read or write to the PCM. I purchased a refurbished Dell E7450 during their Cyber Monday sale. It's running Windows 10 Pro while the old laptop was running Windows 10 Home. One of the differences between the two versions is that in Pro I have access to the ports settings under Device Manager. I'm wondering if there is something I need to do there in order to get the Scanner to recognize the WB plugged in the Serial port? I'm going to dig up an even older laptop I have that has Windows 7 Home (can't remember if Basic or Premium), load the HP Tuners software and see if that makes a difference on scanning with the WB.

Any opinions?

I found a solution. I got the idea from here thread, but had to learn some things along the way as I could not get the code to work and had to figure out the wiring. Now I can say that the AFR shows up in the Scanner from the analog input of the MPVI and the scanner matches the LM-2 display.