Thread: DW 65lb Setup

Tuner

DW 65lb Setup

Hi all,

Have just put in a set of Deatschwerks 65lb injectors, were previously on a 2300SC LS3 and I'm fitting them to a Turbo LSA.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dwk-16u0000658

Engine was running well with the stock LSA Injectors and I thought I could fit these and adjust Flow Rate and Min Injector Pulse with a tweak to the VE table. Well I was wrong. I can get the idle and min/part load OK but give it a stab and the AFR hits 10!

Anyone have any suggestions, link to a thread or a file I could compare? The ECM is an E38.

Current file I'm using as a base is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SVTuner; 09-07-2020 at 02:27 AM.

Looks like you didn't put in all of the injector data. Still shows ifr at 54#. Not sure why you have Dynamic air off when you are using the Maf, and P0102 is no mil in DTC's ?
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

That 65lb is at 43PSI, at 58 it'll be like 75lb/hr, and your early E38 has a hard limit of 63lb/hr... you'll need to scale it or change to a later E38 that allows up to 127.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Looks like you didn't put in all of the injector data. Still shows ifr at 54#. Not sure why you have Dynamic air off when you are using the Maf, and P0102 is no mil in DTC's ?
    I've downloaded the data and checking it out now.

I'm not running a MAF so didn't see the point of changing anything with dynamic air or MAF frequency since the ECM knows it isn't there. I'm open to understand why this needs to be done as I honestly thought you only need to do it if the MAF is still in place but disabled to keep in SD mode.
    Last edited by SVTuner; 09-08-2020 at 03:29 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    That 65lb is at 43PSI, at 58 it'll be like 75lb/hr, and your early E38 has a hard limit of 63lb/hr... you'll need to scale it or change to a later E38 that allows up to 127.
    Wasn't aware of that, thanks. I'll do some digging.
    Last edited by SVTuner; 09-08-2020 at 05:19 AM.

Tuner
    Guys thanks so much for the pointers. I downloaded the injector data from HERE. Then I followed THIS thread, doubled the Stoich and halved the value of the new injector flow rates. The engine starts and AFR's are almost bang on!

Thanks so much Lakegoat and blindsquirrel!

Through this thread I've discovered the shortfalls of the early E38 ECM. Can I download my OS to a later model E38 (through MDI/TIS) or will I still be at the same points of limitation? Not sure yet if it is even worth while but having the extra resolution sure does make it appealing to get a more precise tune. I'm chasing around 800WHP.

The early and late E38s have different Service Numbers, different hardware inside. Not compatible. I don't know if it is specifically a memory issue but it's similar to 512Kb vs 1Mb P01s.

Another thing to consider, if this is a swap vehicle with a standalone ECM that doesn't have to talk to ABS/cluster/body controller/etc. you can swap it to the late E38 no issues but if it's still in the original vehicle, the serial and/or CAN comms protocol between modules changed in early/late ECMs.