Thread: Another 5.3 to 6.2 swap tuning question

Potential Tuner

Another 5.3 to 6.2 swap tuning question

Hello all. Another newbie request for help.

I am in the process of getting ready to swap a 2007 L92 from a Cadillac Escalade into a 2011 GMC ? ton pickup to replace the 5.3.

The motor has had a complete refresh and the only modification was the VVT delete and to add a Brian Tooley Racing GEN III & IV TRUCK CAM - TORQUE - 30202111R1 Specs:202/202 .511"/.511" 111+1 and valve springs.

To prepare for the swap, I am working on a baseline tune. Because I was unsure if GM had made any tuning adjustments from 2007, I am copying the base tables from a 2011 GMC Yukon with the L92.

Because the only mechanical difference I can find between the 2007 and 2011 6.2 L92 is the addition of AFM/DOD, I have disabled the DOD and changed the DTC?s for codes P3401, P3425, P3441 and P3449. Unchecked the SES and changed to ?No Error Reported?.

If all this seems to be the correct way to go, now come the questions:

Following other posts on VVT delete, many say to change the number of cams in ?Airflow?/?Variable Camshaft? from 1 to 0. Mine does not have this field. Do I just change the ?Low?, ?Med? and ?High? Desired Angle tables to 0? Also, for the DTC codes, are P0011 and P0013 the codes that I turn off? I can not see anything that says ?VVT? exactly.

Also, under Spark/Advance/Base Corrections/Fuel the Flex Fuel and Alcohol tables are way out of line from the 2011 5.3L tables. Would there be a reason for that as both motors had VVT?

Thank you for any help/guidance/recommendations you can provide.

Find a 2011 Silverado/Sierra 6.2 file, those truck didn't have AFM/DoD from the factory and will be a better base file to start with. Then just disable the VVT stuff from there.

You must be in advanced view under the edit tab to see the camshaft selection drop down.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    5FDP,
    Thank you for the reply. The advanced view really helps. As you recommended, I will download a Silverado/Sierra file now and compare/change.
    Thanks again

Potential Tuner
    Ok. Could use a little (or a lot) of help here.
    The L92 motor is installed. The only part that did not switch over was the MAP Sensor. Because it is different from the 2011 5.3, I used and adapter harness for it.
    I wanted to just make sure the engine would run and not throw a check engine light so I modified the original 5.3l tune just to delete DOD, VVT and changed the MAP Characteristics to the 2007 Cadillac Escalade specs.
    The motor started and idled pretty well with no check engine light.
    So now I have flashed the new tune from a 2011 GMC Sierra with a 6.2L. I made the same modifications to the tune (VVT Delete, changed MAP Characteristics) and it will start up but will barely idle and surges like crazy.
    I ran a compare again and everything from the 6.2 copied over.
    I have attached the modified 5.3 tune and scan and also the modified 6.2 tune and scan.
    Would appreciate any help I could get.
    Thanks

So now I have flashed the new tune from a 2011 GMC Sierra with a 6.2L.
    How did you do this, copy over differences or write-entire a file you found somewhere?

Potential Tuner
    I copied over the differences but only for the engine. I didn't want to complicate things any more than they are.

OK, just checking.

Advanced Tuner
    Go back to the 5.3 file and start from there. If its worse with the 6.2 settings, it isn't doing you any favors.

Having done this swap on my 2011 Chevy Avalanche, you don't need to do a segment swap and use 6.2L settings. You can compare and take what you believe will benefit you, like some spark tables and such, but the adaptive idle section and things along those lines should be left the way it was. You will need to do some VVE and MAF tuning, adjust the intake manifold volume, and just tune it the way it should normally be tuned. If you need help, PM me, through PM, i get a notification and can actually keep track of threads I can help on.

Regards,
    -T

Potential Tuner
    Thank you all. I will begin modifying the stock tune and see where I end up.
    LSandlteditor - thank you for the offer and I may take you up on it if/when I hit a snag.

You got it bro
    Calibrator By Day, Student of the Game at Night.
    www.LSXedit.com

Want to Learn Hands On? I Offer Remote Tuning Email Me at [email protected]

TEO TUNED
    You Can View Most of my Library on Instagram
    Website Coming Soon...

INSTAGRAM: @TEOTUNED

Oh good, now we get an 11-line business promo (with a logo, even!) to go with the in-post adverts.