Thread: Noob's first start tune for swap project

Tuner in Training

Noob's first start tune for swap project

Hi tuning community,
    I recently bought an MVPI2 and a wide-band to begin my journey into tuning EFI. My project is putting a 2004 5.3L DBW with a TKO600 into my 1969 Camaro. I'm leaving it NA. I've still got quite a bit of work to do until I attempt to start it for the first time but I have read the stock tune and begun to make modifications for first start-up. I'm using the stock PCM (OS 1273052) and reworked the stock harness. The engine, pcm, harness, TAC, and pedal assembly are all original from the donor vehicle. These are the details of the engine.

2004 LM7 from a Chevy Avalanche with the following changes:
    LS2 intake
    LS2 MAP
    L59 (flex fuel) injectors
    Summit 8719 Stage 1 high lift cam, 0.550/0.550 lift, 209/217 duration, 112+1 LSA
    1-7/8" mid-length headers
    single cooling fan relay controlled

Changes I've made so far:
    Disabled VATS
    Copied the injector control tables for the flex injectors (did not change stoich because I don't plan to use flex fuel)
    Changed transmission to Manual
    Enabled cooling fan - set to 2 Fans, fan 1 205? enable 198? disable 30mph disable, fan 2 disabled by setting enable 284? disable 284? 0 mph disable
    Turned off DTCs for transmission, rear O2 sensors, evap & catalyst, stop lamp, and theft deterrent

Here are some questions I like to get feedback on.
    When comparing the Cranking Fuel stock injector tables to the flex fuel injector tables there are differences in the FA Mult Stage 1 vs Time and Lean out vs ECT vs RPM tables. Should I also copy those two flex injector tables or leave the stock non-flex tables?
    I compared the LS2 (05 Vette) MAP linear and offset with the LM7 MAP and they are the same. The LS2 has the Complex Model enabled but the LM7 doesn't. Should I enable it or leave it disabled?
    I believe I will need to change the VE in the idle RPM areas to enrichen them some. With my new mild cam I was thinking 10-15%. Any suggestions?
    Should I make changes to any of the idle tables prior to first start or wait to do that later when I'm idle tuning?
    Besides setting the transmission to Manual and turning off the auto DTCs which I've already done, are there other changes I should make initially for a manual trans?
    Because this PCM is stand-alone, should I disable any "U" DTCs?

Any comments, corrections, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The drop down change for 4L60e to Manual does nothing. Only a segment swap or a starting with a manual OS will fully make it a manual tune file. The segment swap doesn't always work on auto to manual, it's more for 4L60e to 4L80e swaps.

I'd leave it as saying 4L60e and keep the rest like you have it. Have all the DTC's disabled and all abuse modes disabled. I helped on a 5.3/Th350 swap and didn't have any issues doing it that way.

Copying the injector flow rate and the other couple data tables over is really all you need to do.

Raise the idle rpm up to around 800. Go into the spark table and cut the under/over speed spark correction tables down to about +/- 8 degrees. Off memory on most it can allow up to 16-20 degrees and you don't want that much.

Are you running the stock MAF sensor??

The MAP data can stay as it is if the sensor uses the same linear and offset settings, you don't need to change anything else.

The MAF and VE both control fueling so if you are using both, both need to be adjusted. I wouldn't run slap the MAF/VE with 10-15% worth of fuel because that is likely to make it too rich. You have already cut the size of the intake in half because the truck intakes are way larger than an LS2 intake.

Other adjustments like base running airflow and idle timing may need attention but see how it starts up first.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks 5FDP! Yes I will be running the stock MAF. The TB will be the stock one also. And I also realized after I posted that I'll need to adjust the tire size and gearing.

Tuner in Training
    @5FDP - Regarding the comment that an auto to manual segment swap doesn't always work, please elaborate to help me understand what exactly won't work. I have found a stock 2004 4.8L manual trans tune file in the repository and it has the same OS as my pcm. (Note: the OS number I wrote in my original post is incorrect, it is 12587603) When I open both tunes and open the segment swapper the trans and trans diagnostics segments are selectable but I haven't tried actually swapping it.

It's the fact that the base OS is an automatic and you are trying to change it to a manual. That is where things may not work. The 4L60e to 4L80e works because it's an auto to auto swap.

Starting off with manual file from the get go is always the best option. Then all of the manual aspect of the tune file will function, like idle air control, idle timing, clutch stuff etc etc.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Is there a safe way to get the os from the 4.8/manual on my pcm rather than trying to find a pcm from a manual vehicle that will still work with my DBW? I haven't licensed my pcm yet.

If you know someone that can flash the computer with the manual file using a GM Tech2/MDI, that would be the best route to take.

Possible a local shop has that ability or contact a dealership and give them a VIN on the file you want put on it and they might do it.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again for the info