Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: lean area around 2500ish rpms-2014 ctsv

Advanced Tuner
    Could the large swing in timing during shifts aggravate it? I don't know if it is running off the base timing chart or the idle spark advance/coastdown, but both were similar, and higher than a 2012 V cal that I had saved (supposedly stock cal). It is climbing to 48 degrees at start of shift, then dropping down to 18 before you get back on the throttle, then it jumps back up. The WB may read differently depending on the timing you feed it as well.

There was also a peak in the VVE chart at 2600 rpm from an older posting on this thread, with a bit of a valley before and after. VVE should be nailed down good before changing transients.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
    Could the large swing in timing during shifts aggravate it? I don't know if it is running off the base timing chart or the idle spark advance/coastdown, but both were similar, and higher than a 2012 V cal that I had saved (supposedly stock cal). It is climbing to 48 degrees at start of shift, then dropping down to 18 before you get back on the throttle, then it jumps back up. The WB may read differently depending on the timing you feed it as well.

There was also a peak in the VVE chart at 2600 rpm from an older posting on this thread, with a bit of a valley before and after. VVE should be nailed down good before changing transients.
    Yeah, i do believe my timing is slightly higher than a stock cal (in the low/mid load areas). That peak is there because the additional fuel needed at that point. Multiple guys with ctsvs and aftermarket injectors show this same lean condition. i know that lean area didn't start until i put in my Id850s injectors. Smokeshow pointed out that he thinks it's reversion in the intake causing incorrect airflow measurements by the maf. I'm still not sure how to fix it though

Advanced Tuner
    What if you logged VE airflow and Dynamic airflow (both in g/sec) and charted them side by side? My OS also has Mass airflow but I do not see it on yours. It can help to chart all 3 (or 2 if that is what you have available) to see how well they match. I know that you have MAF enabled immediately, but it still references VVE for transients.

Also, is it hitting DFCO? You cannot go by inj pw, at least on mine, as pw NEVER drops to zero on the scanner, even when in DFCO. You would have to log DFCO Active (Yes/No). Just to see if it is going lean during the shift due to that, or due to airflow modeling. Even if it is activating, you should still be able to step back into it without a hiccup, but it may point out an airflow error.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
    What if you logged VE airflow and Dynamic airflow (both in g/sec) and charted them side by side? My OS also has Mass airflow but I do not see it on yours. It can help to chart all 3 (or 2 if that is what you have available) to see how well they match. I know that you have MAF enabled immediately, but it still references VVE for transients.

Also, is it hitting DFCO? You cannot go by inj pw, at least on mine, as pw NEVER drops to zero on the scanner, even when in DFCO. You would have to log DFCO Active (Yes/No). Just to see if it is going lean during the shift due to that, or due to airflow modeling. Even if it is activating, you should still be able to step back into it without a hiccup, but it may point out an airflow error.
    Yeah i currently have them logged and they overlap each other pretty well...even at that 2600 rpm lean spot.

Tuning Addict
    Made some changes. Retune your MAF as your injector data was off a touch.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Made some changes. Retune your MAF as your injector data was off a touch.
    Thanks. the injector data was taken right from I.D. website. Are you referring to the IFR vs pressure delta?

I also noticed you changed the injection timing boundary angle. I thought that should only be altered when you get an aftermarket cam? I'm just trying to get a few more wrinkles for my brain!
    Last edited by sgod1100; 05-15-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Tuning Addict
    I changed timing for you - you should like it better. The ifr was straight from ID's website - they may have altered it in the last couple of years - don't know. Also changed your PE fueling delay, transients, O2's and VVE based off of one I tuned years ago almost identical to yours.

I will also say your costing yourself about 20hp to the tires with the "test pipes". If you don't want cats, your better off to buy cheapo "if there is such a thing anymore" off road cats and then gut them. The "expansion chamber" gives back pressure somewhere to build right before that right angle turn the exhaust has to make.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    I changed timing for you - you should like it better. The ifr was straight from ID's website - they may have altered it in the last couple of years - don't know. Also changed your PE fueling delay, transients, O2's and VVE based off of one I tuned years ago almost identical to yours.

I will also say your costing yourself about 20hp to the tires with the "test pipes". If you don't want cats, your better off to buy cheapo "if there is such a thing anymore" off road cats and then gut them. The "expansion chamber" gives back pressure somewhere to build right before that right angle turn the exhaust has to make.
    thanks, I appreciate it. Just to confirm i will have to tweak the maf curve again since the boundary angle has been changed correct?

I didn't realize that about the test pipes...only reason I got them was to prevent melting the stock cats
    Last edited by sgod1100; 05-15-2022 at 03:35 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Yes, you'll need to tweak the MAF due to the changed ifr and boundary.

Did extensive dyno testing on these back in the day - that's how I know about the "test pipes". They may even be causing a boost spike when you stomp it partially causing your lean condition or if nothing else making it worse.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, you'll need to tweak the MAF due to the changed ifr and boundary.

Did extensive dyno testing on these back in the day - that's how I know about the "test pipes". They may even be causing a boost spike when you stomp it partially causing your lean condition or if nothing else making it worse.
    Alright thanks for confirming. So just for my knowledge, what in terms of performance does changing the boundary angle do?

Tuning Addict
    More torque and allows more timing up top

Advanced Tuner
    More torque and allows more timing up top
    Nice, nothing wrong with that....lol. I did a quick log (maybe 10-15 min) and it looks like i need to pull a little bit of fuel out. Is that what you would be expecting to see? At least during CL..i haven't gone WOT yet. I"m going to during a good 30-45 min drive to get some good data though

Tuning Addict
    Yeah, looks like the one I tuned was needing less from 11700hz down and needed a touch more fuel from there up a little ways.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, looks like the one I tuned was needing less from 11700hz down and needed a touch more fuel from there up a little ways.
    Got it. Yeah, I went for a long drive yesterday and I needed to pull out just a bit (3-4%). Once I was above 10000hz it was pretty much spot on.

Advanced Tuner
    So i have the maf pretty maf pretty much dialed in other than this weird thing going on. I'm currenty maf only tune and at very little throttle inputs (sitting in the driveway and ever so slightly touching the gas pedal) it goes lean for a short period of time. Very light tip-in issue. It looks like the o2 sensors aren't switching at this time. Is there a way to get the 02s to switch in this area? happens at 2:26 and 3:02. This is very repeatable and isn't a random occurrence. Short log attached
    lean at low throttle input.hpl
    Last edited by sgod1100; 05-20-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Tuning Addict
    Just lower integrator delay for that airflow area. You might also want to lower proportional delay settings too. That's if it's just an O2 related issue and not a transient related issue. Then if your Ethanol you'll want to advance injection timing 15 degrees back - that helps a lot with ethanol.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Just lower integrator delay for that airflow area. You might also want to lower proportional delay settings too. That's if it's just an O2 related issue and not a transient related issue. Then if your Ethanol you'll want to advance injection timing 15 degrees back - that helps a lot with ethanol.
    Alright I'll try adjusting the delay settings for the 02s...nope, just pump gas here. Thanks for the advice

Advanced Tuner
    So i decreased the integrator delay by 8% and if you go to the 3:00 minute mark it seems to have gotten worse...there is like a 6 sec delay before they start switching again. This isn't a major issue or anything but i'd still like to get it figured out

lean at low throttle input 2.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
    My change didn't cure it but did reduce it enough to satisfy me.
    what change did you do? Change your zones in the VVE?

Quote Originally Posted by sgod1100 View Post
    what change did you do? Change your zones in the VVE?
    Did you ever figure this out. Having the exact same issue with 13 CTS-V and id1050cc injectors. Only thing thats somewhat helped is spike the vve table in that area. Still has a slight spike but at least it doesnt fall on its face when cruising.