Thread: Stumped on this idle surge

Potential Tuner

Stumped on this idle surge

I switched to full speed density as I will be installing a turbo in a few weeks and want to get rid of the maf. I came from a procharger setup where I ran a SD/Maf hybrid. Had no issues with anything and it ran great. When I made the switch to speed density I have noticed my car does not like to idle very well at all on cold starts, and even surges slightly when warm (although not very noticeable) and while coasting in neutral. I am still working on my VE table in the upper rpm and part throttle ranges but when the engine is all warmed up the majority of my cells are +-2%. a few are around +-5%. I've read just so many posts about getting the idle cells for the VE dialed in to correct that issue. When logging when the engine is all warmed up they show no more than around -3% yet on a cold start some cells are lean by as much as 12%? I messed with the base running airflow and idle spark and nothing I have done seems to have changed anything. I also adjusted the max fail % whens tps or maf fault is detected. There has got to be something i'm not doing right or missing. If anyone could take some time to look at my tune and log I have attached with the idle surge and give me some pointers I would appreciate it! The car does not have any crazy mods (Cold air intake and ported intake manifold with id850 injectors on e85 right now). I just don't understand how it ran fine on the procharger setup yet when I completely fail the maf it goes nuts. I should note this is a 2015 camaro ls3 with the enhanced OS and using a aem wideband to tune my VE in open loop.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    You can try some settings that fixed my similar problem.
    Sometimes less is more with the Idle underspeed/overspeed settings, since this is a feedback loop that is laggy, and can get a bit over excited.
    Have a look at the attached image of what I recommend for the idle Adaptive Spark Underspeed setting.
    Secondly I would be running the idle base advance map more in the 17 deg area particularly if its a mild to medium cam, that 10 to 12deg you got there looks very low, although Im used to gas not e85 if there is a difference there I wouldnt know.
    But these 2 interact, so I would try them together and see how it goes.

If this only half fixes it, consider taming the Idle Adaptive Overspeed settings also.
    A lumpy cam may need even more advanced idle base map timing like 20 deg.
    Id like to know what cam youre running too
    Gen 4 idle surge remap hptuners.png

Tuning OL VE via WB is the hard way. Use math there are many posts about this. Tune the MAF then use it to tun the VE.

First should tune all on pump gas and then use a alcohol sensor and the modifiers to adjust for e85. 12 degrees is about right for idle on e85.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm