Thread: side-by-side video - freeze one?

Potential Tuner

side-by-side video - freeze one?

I have 2 laps which I'm trying to show side-by-side in RaceRender. I have sync'ed up crossing the start line at the exact same time on the 2 videos, and also sync'ed each video's data file. So far so good.

About 40 seconds in, I would like to freeze the right-side video briefly -- this lap is faster and completed a track segment earlier -- so the other video can "catch up" and both videos start the next segment at the exact same time.

I've searched the UI... is this possible, and if so, how? Thank you.

Advanced Tuner
    I've seen a couple of people looking for something like this recently here and here, but I don't think RaceRender is really setup to accommodate something like that. I think it expects to always advance the time of each input (either video or data) for each frame that actually gets rendered. That doesn't mean that HPTuners couldn't add it in the future, but I don't think it's something that you should hold your breath on.

That being said, you could approach this a few different ways with what is already provided in RaceRender:

You could render each lap individually, then open the quicker lap in a separate video editor to pause the whole video (probably with a screenshot of that particular frame), and then open a new project where you simply combine the two videos without any extra effort.

You could also try to massage the data such that you introduce a "pause" in the quicker lap by increasing the time column by however long you want to pause for starting only at the row where you want to pause. You would likely need to import the video multiple times and synchronize appropriately. You may also need to import a screenshot of the frame of the video that you want to pause. You could then add Timeline Segments to the video's display object which essentially switch between the initial lap video, screenshot, and then subsequent lap portions (see these instructions).

The first option requires less data preparation and less work within RaceRender, but the second can provide a much fancier video with a combined track map. It seems like this would be a very handy feature to have, but it hasn't come yet.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. In that case I will likely use a template and create both videos separately in RaceRender, then use FFMPEG to combine, including the pauses. To get it right I will have to figure out the exact frame numbers at which to pause. FFMPEG can be a PITA with its tricky syntax but it's pretty amazing what it is capable of.