Thread: mpvi3-v5.0.4 & linked devices annual expiration?

Potential Tuner

mpvi3-v5.0.4 & linked devices annual expiration?

New user to hp tuners. I just installed the new 5.0.4., completed the emissions test to get parameters access to gain access to all features. After linking my computer, i noticed that the device has a 1 year expiration date under "Refresh Expires". What is this and what does it mean? Will i be required to take annual emissions tests to keep using HPT? Will the EPA one day tell HPT that no one can edit emissions on any vehicle moving forward and once that refresh expires, will we all be locked out of making any of those changes? Will i potentially wake up one day in a year and my device get locked out? Am i limited to how many devices i link to my account? I could list a billion questions but if someone can explain in detail (not vague answers) what this means.

Thank you,

Tuner in Training
    HPT as a company has liabilities in providing the functionality their devices give us. The emissions test is them covering their rear end so that they can tell the friendly employees of the aforementioned alphabet organizations that their customer base has been educated with documentation on what should and "shouldn't" be done.

If you have the current functionality you want for the vehicles you have, and there is no need to update or submit your device to firmware updates, then you've airgapped your tuning system and as long as that computer never sees an internet connection, there is no way for it to magically stop working one day.

As for the annual emissions testing, I'm sure there will be a way to implement some sort of recent sync requirement in order to obtain the code eventually.

The writing is on the wall, and it's only a matter of time. Hopefully their hands stay untied for as long as possible.